My bites are infected!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread, and all I can say is "You poor thing!" I had an infected cat bite myself last year, and it took 3 courses of anti-biotics to clear it up. The dr. said it wasn't the puncture wounds that were infected; the infection had worked it's way into the cells. Did your dr. give you anything besides the injection? I know you're aware of how serious a cat bite can be; please get your bites looked at again.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I don't like that your head is throbbing. I know with all the antibiotics you are on you shouldn't have a fever, but please check...keep up the fluids, and I know you know this, be checking for any streaking redness from the bite that is still oozing.

Honestly, I'd go in this afternoon to the hospital if you find you are feeling worse as the day goes by.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I would wait until tomorrow. Unfortunately cat bites are prone to developing some really nasty infections.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How did I miss this? I can sympathize, Jenny. I had a really bad cat bite from Jamie's predecessor, Straycat (a longtime feral), on my leg, and messed around for almost a year with antibiotics till it cleared up. I still have a 1/4 inch round scar on my calf from that little encounter. My conclusion - cat bites are far more onerous, and dangerous, than dog bites, and all cat guardians should keep their tetanus shots up to date!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenny I'm so sorry your act of kindness led to some nasty bites. Sending loads of vibes your way so that they clear up soon.

Gee, it never rains but it pours, I hope you get a better quote for the wall as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After more injections of betadine I had some fever last night, but apart from my head feeling sore this morning, in myself I feel better. Yesterday was a bad day - I was really woozy and dizzy and couldn't do much all day. The wounds are not leaking pus any more and are less swollen, so I hope they are on the mend. I am still taking the antibiotics of course, and the hospital updated my shots when I first went in. So I am doing all I can. At least the cat's examinations for rabies are going OK, so I don't think I will have that to worry about! One more to go.

I will also have scars but since they are inside my hairline it doesn't matter. That sounds scary - a year of problems!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a really bad night I went back to the hospital this morning, and they found another bite that had not been stitched and was suppurating. So that has now been cleaned out and I look like the Mummy, with large compresses of gauze on my head held on with a piece of netting that goes over the head and under the chin! And it is my birthday tomorrow and I am going out for lunch with friends - I shall wear a hat, but I shall still look awful. I shall get someone to take a picture, just for the hell of it.

The doctor I saw today said he would prescribe more antibiotics and asked me what I was on. I told him, and it was not till I got to the pharmacy that I discovered he had ordered me Amoxicillin, which is in the penicillin family, and I am allergic! It was in my records, but he didn't check, and I didn't say anything because I thought he was going to give me what I already had. It only goes to show how careful you have to be. As if I needed an allergic reaction on top of all this! So I will go back tomorrow and get a new prescription (fortunately my lunch is in the same town as the hospital).

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending more healing vibes! Your outing with friends on your birthday will definitely relieve your discomfort. Get well soon.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, a wine free birthday
hope you start to heal soon.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor dear! ( a few years from now you'll look back at your birthday picture and grin
) Hope things start to clear up really soon. And Happy Birthday!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny....Thank heavens you caught the antibiotic error.
That could have killed you.

I am sure that you know,
it is critical that you not have a break from the antibiotics.
Also, if your symptoms change, get to the hospital immediately.
Cat bites can be become very serious infections.

It is such a shame that this happen to you.
You were trying to help a very scared kitty and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am here in California, with you in my thoughts & prayers Jenny. ((((hugs))))
Please, keep this thread updated so that we know your are doing with this...

I hope that your birhday is the beginning of a great new year for you.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Praying that you're getting better. And have a happy birthday in spite of it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad you went back, and they found the other bite. Not happy to hear about the careless medication error

I hope you are now truly on the mend, and I wish you a wonderful birthday!