My beautiful girl went missing a week after moving house...3 months ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bringportiahome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe your vet said it would be okay to let your cats outside after a week. Don't blame yourself - he gave you very bad advice.

There is a great chance Portia will be found because you had her chipped.
One of the good things that can come of this is knowing I will NEVER make that mistake again. I wish I hadn't had to learn it the hard way though. :( I hope her chip reunites us as you said. I think she's either hiding out in someone's garden, evading capture because the only people she let touch her were me and my husband. Or she's hiding in an old lady's garden who doesn't know about microchips (there should be a documentary on it, honestly, so everyone knows) or she's living on the farm or somewhere similar.

That would drive me crazy too. I hate it when people don't take proper care of them animals. Could you report them to the RSPCA? Leaving an injured cat untreated or letting an animal go hungry is simply unacceptable.

The barn sounds like a great place for Portia to hide. Have you thought about getting a trail camera? It's a camera that you can leave outdoors, padlocked to a fence or tree, that will take a picture or shoot a few seconds of film every time something moves in front of it.

I have this one. It's been left out over night in blizzards and monsoon rains and it still works fine.

http://www.acorncamera.com/ltl-6310mc-hd-new-version-trail-camera.html

You can leave some cat food out to attract cats, I'm sure there must be a few other strays around. Another thing that works well is Asian Fish Sauce (Nyanpura?) you dilute it with water and put it in a spray bottle and then squirt the grass and bushes near to where you set up your camera. It really stinks, but it brings all the cats in the neighborhood to check it out.

Good luck, keep us posted on how everything goes.

I'm reporting them to the RSPCA tonight. I'm done trying to spare their feelings. I'll have a look! Unfortunately won't be able to get one until I'm next paid though. Will give the fish sauce a go though! I seem to attract everyone's cats except my own.
I am still hopeful that she comes home, she is so beautiful, reminds me of my Bruce. Not a follower of the stars, but looking anywhere can think of, is always a good idea. Keep the hope, sincerely, the kittykeepers.
I wasn't either to be honest, until last night someone told me about the farm, how it was close to a school with 'Oak' in it's name, The names Alan and Harris were important and there were rabbits there. I never told her any of this. She came to me with it. The farm is near the Oak Community School, it's being sold by Alan and Harris estate agents, and I've seen rabbits.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or she's hiding in an old lady's garden who doesn't know about microchips (there should be a documentary on it, honestly, so everyone knows) or she's living on the farm or somewhere similar.
Not sure what you would expect the "old lady" to do with regard to a chip. Over the years we've had multiple stray cats come to our yard who never leave & I've never checked any of them for a chip. I recently put "Sooty" in our local shelter for adoption after I had fed her for 2 months. Turns out she was spayed so had belonged to someone, but no clue if they checked her for a chip.

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had two stray cats that have been coming to my yard for several years now.  Both were neutered and feral because of a notch on their ear.  I kept feeding them and after years they were socialized.  In Texas the SPCA and Humane Society have programs called Catch, Neuter and return.  It keeps down the stray population but I also have never heard of anyone doing chips on  a stray.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Connecticut we call it TNR - trap, neuter & release. I suppose I could check the strays for a chip, but, in my view, that is something the shelter can do if I release a cat to the shelter. I cannot spend money on each stray that appears other than food & vet care, as necessary.

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am happy that you are keeping us informed.  I am so sorry I really share in your grief.   Will keep this in my prayers.

bringportiahome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am happy that you are keeping us informed.  I am so sorry I really share in your grief.   Will keep this in my prayers.
Thank you.It's so hard when even your husband has given up so I have no support.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Thank you.It's so hard when even your husband has given up so I have no support.
I know how you feel. My husband is always telling me things like "They don't think they belong to anyone. That's why they go off and do their own thing". Of course we wouldn't mind if they were out there having fun. It's the thought that they might be lost or scared or hungry that breaks your heart. I still don't have any news on Gin either. I keep looking for him though and hope that one day he finds his way home.

Have you had chance to check out the farm with the barn yet? I think Portia might be attracted to a place with rabbits.

Come here when ever you need support. We know how you feel.

bringportiahome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know how you feel. My husband is always telling me things like "They don't think they belong to anyone. That's why they go off and do their own thing". Of course we wouldn't mind if they were out there having fun. It's the thought that they might be lost or scared or hungry that breaks your heart. I still don't have any news on Gin either. I keep looking for him though and hope that one day he finds his way home.

Have you had chance to check out the farm with the barn yet? I think Portia might be attracted to a place with rabbits.

Come here when ever you need support. We know how you feel.

I've been looking but haven't found anything yet.
You have support. We are here for you.
Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can't afford a trail camera yet here's a tip I got from a rescue group I contacted.

Get a large cardboard box and lay it on it's side. Put double sided stick tape all the way around the inside edge. Put a bowl of cat food at the back of the box. Place it in the area you think your cat might be. If a cat goes into the box to get the food she will leave a few strands of fur stuck to the tape. That way you can at least tell if there is a cat the same colour as your's in the area. Do you think the people at the farm would let you leave a cardboard box there over night?

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Portiacomehome one thing to remember is that each of us shows missing and support in different ways. Men are often taught to hide their feelings and as such they become acclimatized to be more distant.  Women form strong bonds and have deeper feelings.  I know with Missy, I have not seen her for a month or more and although I miss her , I know that I am beginning to get "used to" her not coming.  Keep faith and hope and pray that she is safe and well.  It is what I do for Missy.

You and Portia are still in my prayers.

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I said Portiacomehome instead of bringPortiahome. MY BAD!

bringportiahome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you can't afford a trail camera yet here's a tip I got from a rescue group I contacted.

Get a large cardboard box and lay it on it's side. Put double sided stick tape all the way around the inside edge. Put a bowl of cat food at the back of the box. Place it in the area you think your cat might be. If a cat goes into the box to get the food she will leave a few strands of fur stuck to the tape. That way you can at least tell if there is a cat the same colour as your's in the area. Do you think the people at the farm would let you leave a cardboard box there over night?
I know there are at least 3 other black cats around here. I haven't asked the farm about the box yet (been busy following a lead near my old house, but nothing's come of it yet). I will ask though.

Portiacomehome one thing to remember is that each of us shows missing and support in different ways. Men are often taught to hide their feelings and as such they become acclimatized to be more distant.  Women form strong bonds and have deeper feelings.  I know with Missy, I have not seen her for a month or more and although I miss her , I know that I am beginning to get "used to" her not coming.  Keep faith and hope and pray that she is safe and well.  It is what I do for Missy.

You and Portia are still in my prayers.
Well he did say that he misses Portia but he doesn't show it.

I've had a lead about a black cat found dead on a road in York. The microchip was linked to a Wiltshire address. (Apparently microchip details are out of date but I updated them) but I'm going to follow it up tomorrow when the vet is next open. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that it could be her.

I have another question...do foxes eat cats? We were out looking at night and we saw a fox in the field opposite our house...could a fox have gotten her? Could she have been hit by a car, been injured and therefore an easy meal for the fox? I'd hate to think of that happening, but is it possible?

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BringPortiaHome

Yes cats are eaten by foxes and coyotes as well but cats are fairly intelligent.  It is more likely that such a loving cat found someone who is feeding her and may have a new home.  I have a young cat who used to come here a long time ago.  I did not realize that he was running across a major street to come and visit, He would put his paw in the door and play with you but he was still apprehensive.  I found him in the middle of the street and buried him where I have my cattle. We called him Blackie.    

I think it is better for you to believe that someone is feeding her.  Remember Missy and Lulu are feral cats who have become very socialized.  They came for years and Lulu is in the back yard now sound asleep.  Every night she goes off and sometimes does not come back for a few days.  Missy did the same thing. It tells me that they have another source of food.  

About seven months ago my cousin saw a black kitten eating excess cat food in the back yard.  He started going out, talking to it and it slowly started coming up to him.  I would go out several times a day and put food and milk and it would run from me.  After a while , I would notice him staring at me in the bushes.  Missy knew he was there and so did Lulu.  We took him in the house and he is now adopted.  I blame myself that Missy may have wanted to be an inside cat and I did not respond.  She ran in the house one time and then ran out.  She would never come in again after that.  It is easy to blame yourself when you love something but truth is, we make decisions and they sometimes have consequences.  Maybe she was not happy with the move.  KEEP FAITH in your heart. Maybe you should think about adopting another kitten in time.  It will make it easier.  Lulu being there and coming makes it easier for me.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your husband might be trying to help you by not reacting the same way you are because maybe he thinks that will upset you more?  Also, he could be a bit jealous too.  Just a few thoughts and a different way of looking at it.  I don't believe he just doesn't care about her anymore.  

I'm glad you have another lead but very sad about the circumstances.  I hope it's not Portia in that case.  

bringportiahome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Your husband might be trying to help you by not reacting the same way you are because maybe he thinks that will upset you more?  Also, he could be a bit jealous too.  Just a few thoughts and a different way of looking at it.  I don't believe he just doesn't care about her anymore.  

I'm glad you have another lead but very sad about the circumstances.  I hope it's not Portia in that case.  
That cat was not Portia, so the search is still on.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it, even though the search is still on :(  Come home soon Portia!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that wasn't Portia. We get foxes around here and tanuki too, a kind of Asian wild dog, but they don't bother the cats. A tanuki climbed into the enclosure once and the cats all ganged up on him. I had to herd them all into the house and leave the gate open so he could find his way out again.

I think most animals know that cats are capable of scratching and biting. They wouldn't risk a confrontation with a cat unless they were defending their young or they were starving. There are far easier prey animals to go for.

There is always a possibility that a fox would scavenge an animal they found dead on the road, but I don't think you should worry about that. It's important to keep your hopes up and carry on searching.