My Beautiful Big Boy, O'henry, Passed This Morning......

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, let me say that I am nearing the age of 65 and I've had several cats in my life. Thus, I've lost several cats (for the time being. I truly believe we'll see each other again.) I would think that with age ("maturity") that it would get "easier". It doesn't; it gets harder - gut-wrenchingly difficult.

About O'Henry....He was a "foster", along with his sister. What a laugh that I would just "foster". His equally beautiful sister was adopted by a close friend of mine. I planned to let rescue volunteer friends of mine take her brother, O'Henry, to an adoption event. The morning of that day, I called them and said, "I've changed my mind. I'm keeping him." So a house of already 5 more senior kitties just became six. He fit in so well with my fur family. It was meant to be.

Over the years the other 5 left us, the last living to be 20 years old. So it was just O'Henry and I for about a year. Then last year I took in 4 kittens from the same litter. O'Henry LOVED them! He ran around this past year like a big kitty, playful, happy, healthy - the Big Daddy.

He has always been the picture of health. Then about 3 weeks ago - 3 weeks and my life changed. O'Henry suddenly just wasn't acting himself. He hid under beds and chairs and didn't have his appetite - vague changes. So I took him to the vet. The vet noticed then that he had somewhat labored breathing and took an xray - fluid around the lungs and a suspicious spot. He wasn't hopeful, I could tell. He did give him Lasix and an antibiotic and said bring him back the next day. Is that what I should have done? But I didn't. Queen of denial that I am ( I went through this with my husband in 2005.), I wanted another opinion - another outcome so I called a couple other vets. I told them about the labored breathing and both referred me to an emergency vet who took more xrays, and ultrasound, put him on oxygen, and removed the fluid from around his lungs. MAYBE it was something else, something treatable. Should I have put him through all of this, I ask myself, but friends tell me that had I not, I would have felt guilty that I hadn't tried. They sent the fluids to pathology......lung cancer.

So I brought him home and tried supplements, continued the Lasix, prayed. Until the past couple of days he tried to eat, drank water, used the litter box. He never threw up the food. There were moments when I thought I might have the miracle I prayed for, but this morning at 9 AM the fight was over for him. The other 4 fur babies and I lost a very, very special friend.

As I said, none of it gets "easier". As I always do, I drive myself crazy with my what ifs, my shouldas, wouldas, and couldas. I don't think I'll ever change. He was only 10. Except for one kitty, Stormy, who passed at 9 years, all my babies have lived to 15, 17,18, 20....Why? Why when he seemed so very healthy? I never thought that O'Henry would have any serious health issues.

Now, even though I have 4 other kids here, I still feel a tremendous void, an emptiness. I know he knows that he was loved - my beautiful boy, O'Henry. We'll miss you.....

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, whenever we had a sick pet it was always Mom and Dad who took care of it. I just knew the pet went to the animal doctor, got "some medicine", and sometimes got better, and sometimes they didn't. It was a rough lesson to learn as a kid, but when we become adults and suddenly Mom and Dad aren't making those decisions for us anymore, it gets even more rough. Maturity comes with recognizing that the life of an animal in our care is a life that depends on us, and that is a big responsibility and I think you handled it remarkably well.
Cats are not dogs. Some dogs are fine to go to the vets every week or every few days. Cats, not so much in our experience and the question lies in quality of life.
If you hadn't had the fluid drained and checked, you would have never known what was wrong with O'Henry and that is something I've dealt with before. It's painful to know what was wrong, but its painful too when you don't know what the problem was (and the questions begin: Was it treatable? Was it fixable? If I had done this, or that, would he/she have been saved?) I think no matter what we do, or don't do, we always questions what might have been had we done the opposite. As I said, I think you handled it remarkably well, and I'm very sorry for your loss. He sounded like a very good friend, and an ambassador for you and your foster kittens as well :alright:
(Also, I think we'll meet again some day too. I'm looking forward to that. I'll have so many little paw prints all over me ;))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It seems that cats truly are masters at hiding their illnesses. I'm sure O'Henry knew how hard I would take it. Compared to others, he was just so young. We should have had many more years. My husband often said that sometimes it seems that it is harder to lose a fur friend. They give us unconditional love and are with us 24/7. I will miss you, O'Henry.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A person would think the more "experience" we have at loosing cats and kittens, the better we would be at it... Not so!

I am truly sorry for your loss. Those words don't help much just now I know, however it is about the best we can do at a time such as this.

Rest easy O'Henry. While your time on this old planet might not have been as long as we would have wanted, you left deep paw prints on your human's heart that will remain until time fades away.

Those four kittens of yours have some big paw prints/tracks to fill. I expect they will be up to the task at hand.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A person would think the more "experience" we have at loosing cats and kittens, the better we would be at it... Not so!

I am truly sorry for your loss. Those words don't help much just now I know, however it is about the best we can do at a time such as this.

Rest easy O'Henry. While your time on this old planet might not have been as long as we would have wanted, you left deep paw prints on your human's heart that will remain until time fades away.

Those four kittens of yours have some big paw prints/tracks to fill. I expect they will be up to the task at hand.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh, wow....that started the tears flowing again - but "good" tears. Yes, they'll have VERY big paw prints to fill. Thank you....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It NEVER gets any easier. Taking care of ferals along with my own cats, I have lost more than I can count.
To lose one so young is twice as devastating. You did what you could in that moment. It is always easier to torture ourselves with all those should haves, could haves, when our minds are functioning again after the horror of losing someone we love. It is grief trying to rule your life. You need to gather one more ounce of strength to fight it. Your sweet boy would never want you to go through this. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you. That is love, wanting the one you love to go forward to enjoy life and be happy, not eternally sad for something you cannot change.
The bond of love you have is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be with you, a part of your very soul. He lives on through your memories and by passing on the legacy of love he left with you.
I have found it made me feel a little better about myself by giving a donation, or food and litter, to your local shelter. And do it in O'Henry's name. Or socialize kittens and enjoy the happiness in being alive that all kittens have. Or give comfort to an older cat that has lost his home, it means so much......
There is nothing to say that will take away the pain. It is your own personal hell that only time can help you come to terms with. I send you all my thoughts and prayers. Please give each of those remaining little ones a kiss from me, may you be blessed for giving that sweet boy a wonderful home filled with family and love. Now you must pick up the pieces of your life and rebuild a future, but please know he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. It's hard, and the older we get and closer to our own end, it gets harder yet. Love those with you now, in the present, because not one of us is guaranteed a tomorrow and we must make the most of our lives. Just one day at a time........RIP sweet O'Henry. You will be dearly missed. You will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your friend, he sounded wonderful. You did all that you could do and more, it sadly was just something that happened to him and no amount of money or care or love could've saved him, but he had a wonderful life with you and the other kitties, you have no regrets nor does he, he loved you and you him, and yes when you see him again someday it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your friend, he sounded wonderful. You did all that you could do and more, it sadly was just something that happened to him and no amount of money or care or love could've saved him, but he had a wonderful life with you and the other kitties, you have no regrets nor does he, he loved you and you him, and yes when you see him again someday it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow.....Your Top Cat looks much like my O'Henry - so much so. I love your quote about "Their last breath on Earth....." Thank you. You offered me comfort.

SheilaB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It NEVER gets any easier. Taking care of ferals along with my own cats, I have lost more than I can count.
To lose one so young is twice as devastating. You did what you could in that moment. It is always easier to torture ourselves with all those should haves, could haves, when our minds are functioning again after the horror of losing someone we love. It is grief trying to rule your life. You need to gather one more ounce of strength to fight it. Your sweet boy would never want you to go through this. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you. That is love, wanting the one you love to go forward to enjoy life and be happy, not eternally sad for something you cannot change.
The bond of love you have is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be with you, a part of your very soul. He lives on through your memories and by passing on the legacy of love he left with you.
I have found it made me feel a little better about myself by giving a donation, or food and litter, to your local shelter. And do it in O'Henry's name. Or socialize kittens and enjoy the happiness in being alive that all kittens have. Or give comfort to an older cat that has lost his home, it means so much......
There is nothing to say that will take away the pain. It is your own personal hell that only time can help you come to terms with. I send you all my thoughts and prayers. Please give each of those remaining little ones a kiss from me, may you be blessed for giving that sweet boy a wonderful home filled with family and love. Now you must pick up the pieces of your life and rebuild a future, but please know he will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. It's hard, and the older we get and closer to our own end, it gets harder yet. Love those with you now, in the present, because not one of us is guaranteed a tomorrow and we must make the most of our lives. Just one day at a time........RIP sweet O'Henry. You will be dearly missed. You will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

Yes, I also feed the backyard ferals as well as feed community cats in a couple different colonies along with a group of volunteers. I've lost many but it does get harder. O'Henry has just hit very, very hard. My previous inside senior cat was 20. He just moved a bit more slowly, and one day just went to sleep. A "better passing"?

My little ones seem a bit confused but are returning to their ornery selves. I will also try to not beat up on myself.

Thank you for your thoughts.