My Babies have fleas!! URGENT!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice guys, I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

I combed the kittens a bit today while they were suckling from mum. Combed mum too for about 30mins

I got a couple of live ones but I don't think it's as bad as I thought, I think I've caught it just in time.

If my kittens get tapeworm, is there a treatment for them as they are so young?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

If my kittens get tapeworm, is there a treatment for them as they are so young?
I don't think so, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. From what I've read about tapeworm, cats usually get it from grooming themselves and swallowing a flea. Since baby kittens are groomed by mom, she's the one who is more likely to get tapeworm. If she does, it's easily treated and really not a big deal.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can take several months before you see tapeworms. Just keep an eye on the litterbox; if they get tapeworms, you'll be able to see them in their poop.

I'm glad you're starting to get things under control. Fleas are irritating and time consuming!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very time consuming!!! I've been combing on and off for hours!!

New question (s)....

If I use frontline or advantage on nursing mum, will it get into the kittens system through the milk? If so, will it kill the fleas on the kittens or will it make them ill? (It probably wont make them ill if it says its okay for nursing mums)

Also, when the fleas move from baby to mum, will they die, or will they stay on the babys knowing that it is life threatening to go onto mum?

And finally... What are signs of anemia...I think one of my babies has diaorreah (however you spell it!!)

Oh yeah, as good and lovely as my cat is, I'm too scared to bathe her coz I fear my eyes may be scratched out!!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never used this stuff personally, but have heard great things about it.
Diatomaceous Earth -the human grade stuff, not the stuff for swimming pools.
Here is a website that was recommended by a dog owner friend of mine, but I don't know if they ship across the "pond".
http://www.internet-grocer.net/diatome.htm

And here is a quick link about the stuff and how it kills fleas...
http://www.critterchat.net/diearth.htm

Good luck! Fleas can sure be hard to get rid of!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Signs of aneamia is pale gums. When my son 1st found Blossom at 3 weeks old the vet gave me Felix worm paste for cats & kittens. I started using it when she was 4 weeks old. I gave it to her every 2 weeks until it was gone. There was 4 doses. She was then old enough to have Revolution spot-on for kittens, I used this 3 times, monthly. She then went onto adult cat Revolution. It doesn't kill tapeworm but vet said that bc she had Felix paste which did control tapeworm she didn't need any more tapeworm medicine as Revolution controls all life stages of fleas.
In the old days b4 all these new flea treatments I used to kill fleas by hand by squashing them between 2 fingernails. Its time consuming & the fleas are very quick.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went into the petshop near my work today and they have a vet clinic instore!! (I never knew that!!) So... I got some frontline coz I found that I'd put on empty box back in the cupboard, and I've also booked them in with the vet on friday so the kitties can all be sprayed to kill their fleas. It's a free health check so I'm going to get Ziggy checked over just in case of any afterbirth problems.

I also bought a spray to kill any fleas in my house, even though I vacuum properly, I want to be sure. This stuff will stop the cycle for 12 months too!!

So, I am happier now, just have to wait for two days til I see the vet.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

So is revolution safe to use on four week old kittens?
No. Revolution is not to be used on kittens under 8 weeks of age.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mermaid

No. Revolution is not to be used on kittens under 8 weeks of age.
Actually I checked the revolution website, as well as called the vet and he said six weeks is the absolute youngest.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Actually I checked the revolution website, as well as called the vet and he said six weeks is the absolute youngest.
Blossom was 10 weeks old when I put her on Revolution for puppies & kittens. It says for up to 2.5kg (5.6lbs) but doesn't say when to start. I've been treating my dogs with Advantage for years & fortunately when we got Blossom she didn't have fleas.

anna68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not use anything on the babies or the mum at this time. Make sure bedding is kept clean and hoover the bed out every day. Use a nit comb through the babies and mum. When you catch a flea stick it into a waiting bowl of boiling water. I would do this twice a day to start with and then once a day whenyou have it under control. Remember to do mum and other animals as well.
The fleas will have laid eggs andyou will have o keep an eye on the situation till the cycle is complete. Flea eggs can live in home furnishings for up to 7 years so when possible remove the cat and kittens to another room and spray with a houshold flea killer ( can get from the vet) or steam clean everything to kill the eggs.

Good luck

Anna

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would not use the frontline on the kittens or on the mother because she is nursing and the kittens are just to young, i would first try to borrow some money from someone and get your self or go to a groomer with the mother cat and get her a flea shampoo not a flea dip there is a big differecne shampoo is like when you wash your hair you wash it out flea dip is absorbed through the blood stream and would not be good for her because she is nursing i would try to take care of the area the kittens are kept to pervent futher investation as for the kittens i would try just a flea comb an maybe some very diluted flea shampoo very very diluted. Your question about what fleas can do to the kittens if they are bad enough they can die from them so it is important that you do everything you possiably can i wish you the best of luck

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't have a bowl of boiling water around the kittens, they could accidentally get scalded.

Take some water with a mild dishwashing liquid (we use Dawn here in North America), comb for fleas and dip the comb in the solution, wipe the comb on a paper towel, comb again, etc. The soapy water will drown the fleas. Using any chemicals on kittens this young would be dangerous IMO.

The only safe way to treat them is with a vet's recommendation and assistance. In the meantime use the soapy water and get as many as you can, wash the bedding in hot water every day.

If you can get some diatomaceous earth it is very safe to sprinkle in the carpets and furniture - just ensure you sweep it in so it settles. Be careful not to inhale the dust, it can cause aggravation in your lungs. I'd make sure mom and the kittens are not in the room when you treat with DE as well. But, make sure you get the HUMAN or FOOD grade DE - NOT the industrial grade.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rockyzeus

i would not use the frontline on the kittens or on the mother because she is nursing and the kittens are just to young, i would first try to borrow some money from someone and get your self or go to a groomer with the mother cat and get her a flea shampoo not a flea dip there is a big differecne shampoo is like when you wash your hair you wash it out flea dip is absorbed through the blood stream and would not be good for her because she is nursing i would try to take care of the area the kittens are kept to pervent futher investation as for the kittens i would try just a flea comb an maybe some very diluted flea shampoo very very diluted. Your question about what fleas can do to the kittens if they are bad enough they can die from them so it is important that you do everything you possiably can i wish you the best of luck
1) Frontline and Advantage are safe to use on pregnant and nursing moms. They have been studied extensively and have been deemed safe. And they are.

2) Flea shampoos are NOT safe for nursing moms. Even very diluted. Never use flea shampoo on or around little baby kittens. I wouldn't use a flea shampoo on adult cats, much less young ones. They contain permethrin, that's a neurotoxin and cats are quite sensitive to it. It also goes systemic, that is, it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

I just wanted to point that out in case someone decided to follow this advice.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just like to thank everyone for your help and advise.

The kittens and mum are now flea-free.

The vet gave me Frontline spray which can be used on kittens from 2 days old. I also bought some household flea spray from the vets and did my whole house with it (one empty room at a time - leave for 30mins then ventilate)

The combing seemed to go on forever and I thought I was losing to the fleas.

I don't believe Frontline Spray is available in America yet, but one day...

I used normal frontline spot on for Ziggy.

I am so happy.........

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's WONDERFUL news and it is great that Frontline has developed a product for use on such young kittens that is safe, since so many young kittens born to feral/homeless mothers come "with fleas" from the start.

Hope it becomes available worldwide very soon! Lives depend on it.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frontline spray has been available in the US since the spot on treatment has been around.

It's just not as popular because it's not as convenient to give. If you need some, ask your vet. You can also get it online, just Google "Frontline spray" and you will find where to buy it.