My 10mo Cat Gave Birth To One Kitten

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my cat gave burth to one kitten about 3 hours ago. Shes cleaned it, ate the after birth, and like stays on top of it but isnt nursing or even trying to. I dont think she has milk. This kitten seems strong his meows are loud like piercing loud and he can move around all he needs but cant get him to nurse. After an hour of trying we got krm and a eye dropper but when we get it close to his face he turns away and cries. I'm not good on money thos cat is a rescue didnt even know she was pregnant and cant afford to take it to the vet especially since its after hours. So basically idk what to do i feel like its just playing the waiting game of waiting for it to die..

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try feeding him the KMR through the eyedropper, but with him on his stomach, like the position he would be in nursing mom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I've tried a few ways including that multiple times.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C calicobeans

Wrap him up in a towel like a burrito, with just his head sticking out.

Then hold him tummy down, head up, and put drops in the side of the mouth. Let him swallow and breathe in between.

See if you can get 1/2 to 1mL in him to start, then put him to one of mom's nipples. Her milk should come in if he suckles. The back two nipples closest to her hind legs are the best producers.

He should latch, but if not, contine feeding 1-2mLs every 1-2 hours. He will latch eventually.

You can do this! Thank you for caring for mom and baby! :)

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 thank you, that is some great advice, I'll definitely try that. Another thing that worries me is that mama bean seems completely and totally clueless. He'll cry and she will freak out and lay on top of him which makes him cry more which seems to make her want to leave. She's also a very fluffy cat and she never groomed the hair from her nipples like I read she would. I wonder if I should cut some of the fluff from her around her teat to make for easier access.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update on all of this- We got atleast 4-6 drops in his mouth about an hour ago. Gonna try what you suggested @

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
An update on all of this- We got atleast 4-6 drops in his mouth about an hour ago. Gonna try what you suggested @
Post back an update! It's good news that he ate something, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help regarding your original question.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
abyeb abyeb it's absolutely fine! This is just a very nerve-wracking situation lol. Do you have any suggestions concerning bean and the fluff surrounding her teats? Or a warm cotton ball on them to induce milk let down?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C calicobeans

Yes, you can trim some fur from her nipples. Be very careful not to hurt her. Have someone hold her while you do it.

Do not let mom lay on her kitten.

Trim her fur, stroke her while she lays there, and put the kitten to a nipple.

Do continue supplementing regardless for now.

Hopefully mom will settle down soon.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There seems to be no known abnormalities with the kitten at all. No flat chest, no hump back, his mouth and tongue are a healthy pink and when i put him up to my ear her breathing sounds clear. I'm afraid that my beans labor was interrupted and that this kitten was a preemie, and thats why theres so much trouble and her milk hasnt let down. On the other hand this kitten isnt missing a bit of hair anywhere. The hairiest kitten ever in fact i think shes gonna be a spitting image of her mother. A beautiful chocolate coffee bean calico lol. Her name is gumball and im gonna do all that I can to help this baby, and hopefully encourage milk let down for mama bean. Calling the vet I've gone to for years now in the morning in hopes he will bill me and look and bean and baby bean for me. Fingers crossed, I love these cats too much I can't handle losing my beans bean.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C calicobeans

Are you supplementing the kitten? Is he taking it well?

If mom has more kittens, she will have them in due time.

Her milk will come in eventually, and he will learn to latch. You'll have to feed him yourself for now.

He does not sound premature. What is his weight in grams?

If mom is fine then wait this out.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update- Still only this one kitten. He's getting about 1ml of kmr every 2 hours, his butt patted with a warm cotton ball and a warm area. I dont guess bean is gonna have anymore. He's still very loudly meowing. I dont have any sort of scale but am calling the vet after this post, as this is the only stretch I feel I have the ability to drive them to the vet if given the opportunity.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs more than 1mL every 2 hours now. He now needs 2 1/2 to 3mLs every 2 hours.

Can you please get a weight for him?

Is mama keeping him warm? Has he tried to latch yet?

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay dh is giving him the 2ml now and we will continue with 2 ml for the next few intervals, (5,7,9) then up it to around 2&1/2. Mama bean is leaking colostrum but baby cant seem to suckle. That and his size is the only thing that seems preemie about him. By comparison I'd say he weighs close to an empty 16oz bottle. Mama bean does keep him warm, shes very protective.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
***actually after holding him and truly comparing (sorry it is all i can do atm) hes very close to what a half full can of coke weighs so 4-6 oz. He's about 24 hrs old now and staying strong. I wanna name him gumball.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C calicobeans

Good he's taking more!

He should be able to suckle as soon as he is strong enough.

Continue putting him to mama's nipple BEFORE you supplement him. See if he will latch.

If he won't latch after giving him time to root around, then supplement.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
***actually after holding him and truly comparing (sorry it is all i can do atm) hes very close to what a half full can of coke weighs so 4-6 oz. He's about 24 hrs old now and staying strong. I wanna name him gumball.
Gumball is such a cute name! I'd love to see pictures of him and mom!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C calicobeans

If Gumball weighs 4 ounces, he needs a total of 32mLs every 24 hours.

Fed every 2 hours, he needs 2.6mLs at each feeding, and more if he wants it and as he grows.

He needs 8mLs per ounce of weight each 24 hours, divided by the number of feedings, though I hope he latches soon.

If you could buy a kitchen scale that weighs in grams it would help you to know he is gaining properly.

calicobeans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And here is lil gumball. He got the best feeding of his life 2 hrs ago, so here is to an equally good or better one. Poor sleepy guy is so clueless.

Attachments