Moving in with fiancee and she wants to get rid of my cat?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm familiar with that as well, that's how my mom is. However, I took the OP to mean that she actually has to get a piece of the fur in her eye, not get the dander near her face. That's just me and my jumping to conclusions perhaps.
Wasn't particularly clear either way

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a compromise: you will scoop daily to keep litterbox odors at bay (and use a tidy cat litter fresher powder) and completely change the litter once a week, you will use litter pan liners so that odors & waste does not "stick" to your box, you will agree to keep the kitty out of the bedroom area, this way it will keep her allergies at bay in your bed area. To do this all you do is close the door. Maybe include other areas, like the bathroom....just close the door. If the cat sits in one area (mine sit on the back of the couch) you will get a "cat mat" or cat throw, so that when she lays on it and gets fur dander on it, you can wash it in the washing machine every couple of days. You can get an air purifier to help with allergens & cat dander in the air, you can use All Free & Clear detergent, which will get rid of cat dander & fur on you laundry. You will buy a new vaccuum with a hepa filter (mine is an Optima it weighs 10lbs for $56 at walmart) and vaccuum daily to reduce cat hair. She will agree to see her dr about her "allergies" and get on some type of daily allergy reducer like allegra or cingulair.

BUT, you will not "get rid" of your companion that you LOVE just because she says so....who knows, maybe the cat will want you to "get rid" of her cause of her insensativity or lack of compassion for another living being....

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that you and your fiance need to have a long talk and reach some sort of compromise, not only in regards to this kitty, but to any others that may come across your path in the future. If she is that much against this cat, what happens in the event that this one passes on? Unfortunately, it is something that needs to be addressed because the differences between the two of you as individuals aren't going to disappear... they must be worked out in a way that makes both of you happy. If you are happy not having any other cats in your life, then that is fine... but if you do, a compromise is in order. Don't give up on your happiness for the sake of someone else's. If you are in a loving, healthy relationship there is no reason why something can't be worked out.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I don't understand why some people ask for advice and then never come back
What's up with that? It happens alot to. But if no one replied they would be saying no one cared enough to try and help go figure
In a way it sounded like he was looking for someone to tell him what he wanted to hear. The truth and reality is that a part of love is accepting everything...including the cat and maybe the silly manniquen head with sungalsses and a fisherman's hat on it...

Originally Posted by churchi4cubs

Maybe it was the girlfriend pretending to be the boyfriend to see if she could get us to validate her arguement????

Just a thought...
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I really do think some teenagers post items as a hoax, just to watch how crazy we get.
Conspiracy theory anyone?

candlemaven

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow.

There isn't anything I could possibly add to the excellent advice given here, except to tell your fiancee not to let the door hit her where the good Lord split her.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Candlemaven

Wow.

There isn't anything I could possibly add to the excellent advice given here, except to tell your fiancee not to let the door hit her where the good Lord split her.
Oohh!!! I've not heard this one before!!! Love the rhyming!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow.

I love that!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow.

That's a good line. And so true. If she refuses to even try to live with a cat for a while then she needs to pack her things and get out.