Mother in Law stories--ya got any?

furbie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother-in-law is certifiably insane. My husband is an only child and it is amazing that he managed to be semi normal. He is 38 years old, she has to know where he is 24/7 otherwise she worries constantly, she hears an ambulance go by, she calls to make sure it wasn't him.
About a year ago, we moved to a different town (changed jobs), she made her husband sell their house so that they could move closer to us.
We have to shut the phone off and rely on the answering machine because otherwise she calls 3 or 4 times a day, if we don't call back, she comes over or sends Pa to make sure we haven't been aphyxiated, we don't even own anything gas.
When my husband was about 18 and still living at home, he had gone to one of his friends place, he hadn't given her the number because she called his friends so much that he lost friends, anyway, all of a sudden, the cops showed up at the door and said to my husband "you have to call your mother", talk about embarassing, he was mortified. There was nothing wrong with her, she was just in a panic because se hadn't heard from him.
A few years ago, hubby and I went to Hawaii, when we got to our hotel room there was already 14 messages from her.
We have tried on numerous occasions to talk to her be it calmly or getting angry, it goes in one ear and out the other. Sometimes she'll be good for a week, then poof back to the usual. These are just some of the examples, I could tell you about a hundred of them.
We really don't know what to do about her. She's also a hypocondriac, she claims she's allergic to about 320 things and you name the condition, she has it. I've no doubt that there possibly could be genuine ones but it's really hard to tell which is real and which is imagined. When I met hubby 7 years ago, he told me that his mother was on her death bed for the last 6 years, that was 13 years ago.
He's at the point now that he wants nothing to do with her. he maintains a relationship with her for the sake of his dad, who's health really and truly is deteriating, it's so sad.
sorry for lenght of this, I could go on but I don't want to bore you, thank you for letting me vent.

awesome site by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im so glad that some MIL out there are able to balance love for their in-laws and their sanity!! I truly enjoy hearing about people's good in-laws because those positive relationships are examples of how good it can be.

The latest news for me is that, after sending back and forth emails regarding our house-buying decisions (me politely saying, " there is enough stress, we don't need either set of parents overstepping their advisory role" which was nice, I thought. Her saying "Well, if you don't do what I've told you do, you'll be in big trouble later.") she had the nerve to call and say that we needed to work on our marital relations and that she was tired of making all the decisions for us and she was going up to their lake cottage so that we couldnt contact her. UH???? OK!! GREAT! GO! We are both relieved--every time she injects herself into situations its just misery.

Once when my hubby was little his mom caught he (age 3) and his sister (age 5) playing in the attic, where they werent supposed to go. Her punishment? She hung them out the third-story window upside down by their little legs for five minutes, and made the other watch while she did it. She says it was for their own good, but that woman is abusive by my standards! Oh, I wish she'd stay at the lake forever!!!