Mother cats behavior 2nd week after delivery

Tamra5150

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat delivered on June 3rd...5 boys all healthy.We have set up a whole nursery for mom and kids....everything was going fine until today....Moms been really restless up down in and out of nursery turning in circles but If I go in the kennel and she wants me to stay there with her if go out of she starts up again....
Wich its lil crowded with me in there but I'm doing it...Main concern is her heavy panting she has water plenty of soft food
But this panting is really concerning any ideas what I can do to help her

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like there is some discomfort for some reason. Is she drinking well? Panting can be pain or anxiety. Fever too. Can you check her to be sure no nipples are encrusted? They can get sore or blocked. A warm wet cloth against them may help. Five boys? Maybe they are draining her nutritionally. Giving her some wet kitten food could be a boost, KMR as for baby kittens could help or even some goats milk. Is she urinating well and piping well? Dehydration can be an issue. Watch her potty habits. Constipation can come with dehydration. Her wanting you there at this point tells me she is trying to tell you something as well as the circling before laying down and the panting. If she were my kitty I would call the vet and get her checked. Do you know that she passed the afterbirth? Any discharge or odors evident? Sometimes a bit of infection can occur so I would be getting advice from a vet as soon as possible. For now, check all the things I mentioned and maybe make notes to tell the vet. It may be she needs a simple round of antibiotics or just extra nutrition but a vet is your best answer for anything beyond just making her more comfortable until you talk to them. Some vets have on duty help so sending in an email or text could be a way to contact a vet quickly to put your worries at ease and to make sure she is okay. Having that many boy babies is quite a strain! That’s a lot of little aggressive feeders for one mommy. Check her over and try the warm wet cloth and go from there. Please do keep us updated! I’m sure others will be along with more information and tips too. I think you are awesome for staying in there with her. That kind of love can work wonders too.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she allowed to get out and away from her kittens? She needs to be able to do that, she can not be cooped up with them 24/7.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 Has a good point! Even if you just put a place for her to get up above the kittens where they cannot reach her, that is enough to give her time to rest. I often put a large carrier in with mom’s and kittens. The mom gets on top and the babies can cuddle inside. I just take the door off so no one gets shut in or out. The carrier becomes everyone’s favorite place forever after which makes life easy when it’s time for vet visits.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get her checked by the vet, but bring the kittens. She may have an infection that needs treating, or she may have low calcium, which can be fatal. Or, is it possible she has a kitten still inside? The panting is unusual. Please update us!