Morticias legacy

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it's from the close encounter with the mouse trap?   Either way, if you saw something looking like pus I would get a vet to take a look.  I doubt you want to put anything on that would put pressure on it as likely that would cause more pain and if there is an infection you want what ever is in there to come out not stay in.  Relieving pressure relieves pain but you want to make sure it doesn't get in to his blood circulation.  

If you want to try and keep the area clean until a vet can take a look try using a very loose gause covering over the paw and tape around the leg more firmly to make it harder for him to chew off - chances are he will try to remove anything you put on though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Are you sure it's from the close encounter with the mouse trap?   Either way, if you saw something looking like pus I would get a vet to take a look.  I doubt you want to put anything on that would put pressure on it as likely that would cause more pain and if there is an infection you want what ever is in there to come out not stay in.  Relieving pressure relieves pain but you want to make sure it doesn't get in to his blood circulation.  

If you want to try and keep the area clean until a vet can take a look try using a very loose gause covering over the paw and tape around the leg more firmly to make it harder for him to chew off - chances are he will try to remove anything you put on though.
It was like puss, but it wasn't. I t is hard to explain. I assumed it was from the mouse trap because he didn't start limping until after that. Id doesn't look infected, though if it starts to I will take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY! It isn't oozing anything. The last time I wrapped it VERY lightly. It was just tight enough that he couldn't just fling it off, but loose enough that I could pull it off. I don't want him to get anything in it and then it get infected. This happened a few days ago, but only noticed his pad about two days ago. I am using gauze and vet wrap to wrap it. Other then if it has puss, how else can I tell if it gets infected?  

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It can be difficult with cats as they don't show pain easily and not always keen for us to examine them carefully.  Any swelling of the area, any change in colour, any warmth / heat of the area or indeed increased temperature which sometimes you can feel as hot ears, protecting the area or being reluctant to put weight on his paw or for you to touch it.  May well be other things - I am not expert in cat firsts aid. I hope he is OK.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay. I will look out for these signs. Thankfully he lets me examine it. If I touch hi paw somewhere and it hurts he just meows at me. I am going to wrap it during the day, but leave it open at night.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to take Doctor to the vet. He can't go until my mom gets back though so it probably wont be till the 5th at least. But if it doesn't get better by that point, or it looks worse, then I am taking him in. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Doctor, I hope he's OK and not a lot of pain or anything. and that the vet can figure out what has happened.  Hopefully it will heal on its own but these guys are precious and you don't want to risk anything with them.  

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I haven't smelt anything coming off of it yet. He also gave it a good cleaning and now it seems better. Hopefully it will keep getting better.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Doctor has an appointment for tomorrow at 11:45 PST. I am hoping all goes well and it is really simple. Please keep Doctor in your thoughts. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I will.   I'm sure he's fine and that you are being a super vigilant cat parent because of how special these kittens are to you.  Lots of vibes coming your way until we see an update.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They tested him for feline Leukemia. I was so scared it was going to come back positive. Thankfully it came back negative. He has an ulcer on hi pad. They gave him a shot for that and wrapped his paw up. I noticed this morning that he had cloudy eyes. Turns out that he got it from baby kitty and can cause blindness if not treated. So we got eye drops for him. They want to see him again in a week. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good that you took him along to the vet.   Hope the treatment he has now, and the dressing on his paw gets him back to health.  What is it he has picked up from Baby Kitty that is clouding his eyes? 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't remember what she said. She said that if it reoccurs then it can cause blindness. I know that baby kittys came about every once in a while. He has another appointment on the 12th so that they can make sure the medication worked. 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He seems to be better today. He was playing! He hasn't really played for the past like week. But he played. I was so happy! He was a little snuggle bug to. His eye medicine is and ointment! I have to pull his eyelid down and squirt a little on it. He is such a trooper! He really is amazing. At the next appointment I will ask if he can still be fixed. They said he may not be able to. Not till his eye is better at least. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you Ryan. You seem to be making an excellent job of it.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Stewball  thank you. I am doing the best I can, though sometimes I really wish Morticia (AKA Baby Kitty) were here. She would be so much better than I am. Poor Doctor has been sitting staring out the window. He keeps watching his brothers go outside. I swear it is like he KNOWS he can't go outside. He hasn't even tried. He just looks out the window and sits at the door as I let the other two inside. He is so cute! I feel so bad for him! But he seems to feel better. I have to put that stuff on his eye now. Thank you all for keeping him in your thoughts! 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like a very good boy especially letting you put the ointment into his eyes.