Monday's Question Of The Day - June 18, 2018

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends and I call each other Boob too. It was a weird thing that started in high school when I called someone a boob as a teasing insult and everyone thought it was the lamest insult and we just started calling each other that all the time.
There's a science fiction novelette by Janet Kagan called "Fighting Words." It involves interactions between humans ("Erthumoi" in this future universe, "Erthuma" in the singular) and Crotonites, a winged species of sapients who believe that their ability to fly makes them superior to all other sapient species. They tend to call Erthumoi "slugs" to make this contempt really obvious.

In the story, a local Crotonite ambassador has made friends with some of the Erthumoi and has begun an insidious campaign to convince his entire staff that an even better (i.e. worse) insult is to call the Erthumoi "sluggers." As he tells his closest Erthuma friend, Harriet, "What's funnier is that no Erthuma can tell them different: it's my word against yours." :lol:

Margret

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My real name- Karen.

my sister calls me "Ka Ka" which I absolutely hate and she knows it. She even got my nieces calling me "Aunt Ka Ka". :fuming:
Okay, don't get mad :fear:but you have to admit, that's a little bit funny. ;)

I've always gone by a nickname. The only people who use my real name are people who don't know me.

Something came up the other day that had my real name on it and my son-in-law was shocked. I've been his MIL for twelve years and he never knew that was my real name. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Most people just call me Pam. When my mom got mad at me, then it was PAMELA SUE! (with the caps and the exclamation point).