Monday's Question Of The Day - June 18, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it seriously mid-June already!?! :eek2: This month is flying!

Last night I was thinking about nicknames. My brand new nephew has quite a different name and I'm guessing he'll go by a nickname. I have another nephew and niece who are named after their parents so their mom always called them by other names. It wasn't till they were about 4/5 that they told me they want to be called by their REAL names. I'm still breaking the habit! :lol:

Do you go by your real name or a nickname?

I go by my real name most of the time. For a while in college I went by a shortened version. I met DH and my in-laws during that time so they usually still call me that. I don't mind but telling people to call me that was more of a phase I guess.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've rarely ever had nicknames. In my personal life I go by my real name with all my friends and family. Even though my Mom figured out every nickname she could think of with my full name (first middle and last) and she thought she would call me a nickname it never took.

I had a nickname, not offensive just saying my real name as many times as possible in breath, that someone started in high school and everyone I knew picked up on. It didn't last past high school. But I have three pages of my year book that is my name written all sorts of ways with a small "we graduated!" At the end.

At my current job, my first boss in the company has a habit of shortening everyones names. She doesn't ask, just does it. She calls me by the shortened version of my name and by extension one branch of the company does because they picked it up from her. None of them knew I don't normally go by a nickname and assumed I do because she called me it. I'm not offended and I do respond to it but I don't prefer it. The funny thing is that branch is 50 miles away so when people from the two branches meet they confuse each other about who they are talking about. One tiime the owners got confused because they know me by my full name and there is someone who prefers the same shortening at our main office. So they thought someone at the branch was referring to that other person and couldn't figure out why she was involved in something. One of the owners asked me about it and I told her I don't mind the nickname, I just don't use it myself. The owners still refer to me by my full name.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little I was called Greta, which is a shortened version of Margret. I was in first grade before it dawned on me that Greta wasn't actually my name, and I began to insist on being called Margret instead, largely because people tended to go one step beyond "Greta" to "Gretel," which they thought was cute and I thought was sickening. I always thought Hansel and Gretel were too stupid to live.

And my one remaining aunt still doesn't know who I am when I say "I'm Margret. Bob's girl." No, someone has to translate that to "Greta" for her.

Margret

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've rarely ever had nicknames. In my personal life I go by my real name with all my friends and family. Even though my Mom figured out every nickname she could think of with my full name (first middle and last) and she thought she would call me a nickname it never took.

I had a nickname, not offensive just saying my real name as many times as possible in breath, that someone started in high school and everyone I knew picked up on. It didn't last past high school. But I have three pages of my year book that is my name written all sorts of ways with a small "we graduated!" At the end.

At my current job, my first boss in the company has a habit of shortening everyones names. She doesn't ask, just does it. She calls me by the shortened version of my name and by extension one branch of the company does because they picked it up from her. None of them knew I don't normally go by a nickname and assumed I do because she called me it. I'm not offended and I do respond to it but I don't prefer it. The funny thing is that branch is 50 miles away so when people from the two branches meet they confuse each other about who they are talking about. One tiime the owners got confused because they know me by my full name and there is someone who prefers the same shortening at our main office. So they thought someone at the branch was referring to that other person and couldn't figure out why she was involved in something. One of the owners asked me about it and I told her I don't mind the nickname, I just don't use it myself. The owners still refer to me by my full name.
I forgot. My niece calls me Auntie and that is probably the only nickname I support. My niece actually got a little confused when she was younger and people referred to me by my full name because my parents and her parents will clal me Auntie around and to her as well.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My name is already pretty short, but shortens easily to an obvious nickname. It's interesting who chooses to use the nickname and who doesn't. My best friend has always shortened my name, as have about 2 out of 23 of my co-workers (and not necessarily the ones who know me best), and a lot of people at my gym. A few friends and co-workers have also made up random nicknames for me that may or may not be at all related to my real name.

My husband generally uses cutesy nicknames for me-- the only time he ever calls me by my real name is when he's mad at me. :p

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go by my real name. The trouble with it is that it serves as a nickname for other names. People ask me if my name is Katherine or Katelyn.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nickname! My actual name doesn't really lend itself to nicknames but going into high school I wanted a new sort of version of myself and found Lari in a baby name book (at the checkout counter of the grocery actually) listed under my name as a variation and decided that's who I was going to be.

I mostly only use my real name on official documents. And my dad still calls me by it. But that's about it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My name is my name - Laurie. Nobody calls me anything else although some will say "Laur" but that isn't really a name per se.
However, having said that, I have other names I use that others know me by which have nothing to do with my real name. First instance, my screen name is my given Hebrew name.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Ellen and it does not lend itself to any nick names either. Once in grade school one boy used to call me June-Bug for some reason. That used to bug the heck out of me.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not many nicknames for Shawna, so I have always just gone by my first name. Occassonally I get the random "Shawn-bon" or "Shawana" peppered through my life for fun lol

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
My name is too short for a nickname, but if I had to choose a nickname it would be Clover or Rosie. I really wish I had a nickname sometimes.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a shortened version of my real name, Jacqualine. I've always gone by Jackie.

I never liked my first name, which was my mother's. Now Medicare has insisted that I go by it. It's always getting mispronounced as Neena instead of Nyna. That drives me even buggier.

I want to change it to my middle name, maiden name, and last name, which is what I've gone by for over half a century. However, I never get around to it and all my SS and medical records will have to be changed. It's a big pain in the patootis.

Other nicknames I go by are Napoleon and my screen name, given to me by my motorcycle students, Mother Dragon. My husband calls me Wifemate.

You can call me almost anything except late for supper.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Alyssa and I primarily go by that. My parents and my dad's side of the family call me Lys pretty regularly though. My friends and I call each other Boob too. It was a weird thing that started in high school when I called someone a boob as a teasing insult and everyone thought it was the lamest insult and we just started calling each other that all the time.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all of us kids have really long names and we go by our nicknames. They used to add a Y to my name when I was a kid, but I don't really like that.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in New Hampshire, I had many nicknames. I was the only person there from my area of the country and my accent made me stand out. I was fine with it, as it was an isolated place and I enjoyed the recognition and interaction it gave me. None of the nicknames stuck, I'm happy to say.

Now I go by my given name or a shortened version of it, though in the neighborhood where I live now, many call me by my last name. :dunno:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends and I call each other Boob too.
We call one of my cousins Boobie because her mom once called her that at a family gathering and all us cousins thought it was hilarious. Of course, not in public, just in the family :D.

My name doesn't really lend itself to a nickname, so I've always just gone by my full first name.