Monday's Question Of The Day - July 16, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another day of avoiding the heat here. But we have spent several days out in it recently so I think the kids and I are due a break. My sunburn from Friday is fading at least and just a tiny bit itchy. (SPF 50, applies and reapplied as directed. :ohwell: ) I'm trying to come up with some main-dish/meats for this weeks dinners. We went to a huge bbq this weekend and stayed till near the end. Someone loaded our cooler up with leftover side salads and I had already made a large pasta salad for us to leave at home. So I'm going to be salad-ed out by the end of the week. :lol2: I actually had macaroni salad for breakfast. :crazy:

What is your favorite summer dinner?

For me it's got to be BLTs. When I was a teen I always spent my summers at my Grandparents. Not many houses in their area have central air; so when it was really hot Gram would go down to the ancient gas stove in the basement and fire up the one (or 2) burners that still worked and make up some crispy bacon. Grandpa would have tomatoes from the garden and often lettuce too. Then they'd toast up good bread from the Italian bakery. :drool::anticipation: There is no finer dining to me! My tomatoes aren't quiet ready. I've only had cherry tomatoes from our garden so far. Hopefully soon there will be some tomato sandwiches in my future. :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BLT's are so good!! :cloud9:

i'm not sure why, but i always prefer to have a hot dinner meal -- even during the hot weather months. i think it just feels like dinner, when it's a hot meal. :dunno:

my favorite summer dinner would be a grilled hamburger, a little tossed salad, and ice cream or sherbet for dessert! :yummy: i don't have a grill, so nothing grilled here.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Mac Salad for breakfast one day last week. I love it.

My favorite summer meal is corn on the cob, mac or pot salad and a garden salad. Blueberry or blackberry pie and ice tea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those all sound good right now. I've been wanting a small gas grill so we can grill more often. DH hasn't gone for it yet. I don't need a fancy one; it's just the 4 of us here most of the time.
i'm not sure why, but i always prefer to have a hot dinner meal -- even during the hot weather months. i think it just feels like dinner, when it's a hot meal. :dunno:
I think I'm similar. Even if the rest of the meal is cold; I want some part hot with it. And DH is always looking for a solid meat/protein with dinner. He's usually too hot to eat much while at work. It's gatorade, granola bars and trail mix all day. So at night he wants a good dinner.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Anything done on the grill is fine with us, whether it's pulled pork sandwiches or burgers and dogs. I dearly love grilled chicken, too.

I guess my favorite dinner would be grilled rib eye or Delmonico steaks with twice-baked potatoes or a good potato salad, and a grilled Caesar salad. We'd take some grilled corn on the cob, too. Some kind of cream puffs....strawberry or chocolate....for dessert. With mint tea and/or fresh lemonade.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh definitely grilled corn on the cob with butter melted on top, a really juicy tossed salad with plenty of tomatoes and honey and mustard dressing, I'd have a little coleslaw and potato salad and some lovely soft wheaten bread.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything done on the grill is fine with us, whether it's pulled pork sandwiches or burgers and dogs. I dearly love grilled chicken, too.

I guess my favorite dinner would be grilled rib eye or Delmonico steaks with twice-baked potatoes or a good potato salad, and a grilled Caesar salad. We'd take some grilled corn on the cob, too. Some kind of cream puffs....strawberry or chocolate....for dessert. With mint tea and/or fresh lemonade.
"grilled rib eye"
When do we eat? :thumbsup:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never gotten the whole "grilled" thing. Unless you have one right outside the kitchen door, it seems like a lot of extra trouble. You have to carry everything out, carry it back in, get the charcoal going, unless you have a gas one. And if you are going to cook on gas, why not just use the stove? Then you have to clean the grill - it has always seemed to me to be a whole lot easier to just cook things inside where it is convenient, then carry the plate outside if you want to eat outside. But if it makes you happy, go for it!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hamburgers, hot dogs on the broiler.

I also like pasta salad which I have only been making for a few years now. I never had it growing up. I use penne pasta, green pepper, red onion, shredded carrot, cucumber, sometimes tomato marinated in Italian dressing mixed with feta cheese and sometimes chickpeas.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yum! All this sounds so good. It's making my mouth water! :lol:
I like grilled chicken breast. When we have a cookout I always have to make either deviled eggs or potato salad. I don't like store-bought potato salad. They always put in sweet relish or something sweet. Mine is savory with some peppers and bacon. Hmm...I think I know what's going to be on the menu tonight.:D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really classify meals as for a certain season since it's hot for like 8 months out of the year here. Since it's just me and the cats now I will grill a pork chop, a burger, some chicken or a small steak and have it with some veggies. I use my indoor grill a lot since it's hardly worth firing up the outdoor one for one burger or whatever. I do adore a BLT or tomato sandwich. I drink mostly flavored sparkling water most of the time but love iced tea. I drink both year round.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never gotten the whole "grilled" thing. Unless you have one right outside the kitchen door, it seems like a lot of extra trouble. You have to carry everything out, carry it back in, get the charcoal going, unless you have a gas one. And if you are going to cook on gas, why not just use the stove? Then you have to clean the grill - it has always seemed to me to be a whole lot easier to just cook things inside where it is convenient, then carry the plate outside if you want to eat outside. But if it makes you happy, go for it!
But there's just something about flavor that grill can produce and no other can!!
Plus, cooking outside is fun! =D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
"grilled rib eye"
When do we eat? :thumbsup:
Whenever you want! We can do it!

I agree about the flavor that a grill, whether it's charcoal or gas, can produce, not only for meat, but vegetables, too. Our grands will eat grilled vegetables sooner than they will vegetables cooked on the stove top. And there's something about grilling food, rather than cooking it in a hot kitchen.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love grilled vegetables. My b/l grills them on aluminium foil so the juices won't run over to them from the meat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh definitely grilled corn on the cob with butter melted on top, a really juicy tossed salad with plenty of tomatoes and honey and mustard dressing, I'd have a little coleslaw and potato salad and some lovely soft wheaten bread.
Grilled corn on the cob really is good! 2nd only to corn cooked in a fire pit. I haven't made any yet this summer. DS is at the age where he doesn't really have the teeth to bite it so I feel bad! I'll just have to cut it off for him. Or let him gnaw at it. :lol:
I don't really classify meals as for a certain season since it's hot for like 8 months out of the year here. Since it's just me and the cats now I will grill a pork chop, a burger, some chicken or a small steak and have it with some veggies. I use my indoor grill a lot since it's hardly worth firing up the outdoor one for one burger or whatever. I do adore a BLT or tomato sandwich. I drink mostly flavored sparkling water most of the time but love iced tea. I drink both year round.
If I lived in Florida I'd probably only actually grill in those other 4 months. :lol:
But there's just something about flavor that grill can produce and no other can!!
Plus, cooking outside is fun! =D
:yeah: I love it for the flavor. I'm not a big hot-dog eater. But I need one or two done on the grill in the summer. Not burnt; but the outside is a bit crispier and the inside jucier. My cousin's husband is a master at grilling. He would probably cook everything on the grill if he could. It's just not the same inside. Someone did grilled veggies for our picnic last weekend and they were AMAZING! Even ones I don't normally eat cooked. (I did skip the eggplant. There is no saving that for me. :lol2: )

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grilled corn on the cob really is good! 2nd only to corn cooked in a fire pit. I haven't made any yet this summer. DS is at the age where he doesn't really have the teeth to bite it so I feel bad! I'll just have to cut it off for him. Or let him gnaw at it. :lol:

If I lived in Florida I'd probably only actually grill in those other 4 months. :lol:

:yeah: I love it for the flavor. I'm not a big hot-dog eater. But I need one or two done on the grill in the summer. Not burnt; but the outside is a bit crispier and the inside jucier. My cousin's husband is a master at grilling. He would probably cook everything on the grill if he could. It's just not the same inside. Someone did grilled veggies for our picnic last weekend and they were AMAZING! Even ones I don't normally eat cooked. (I did skip the eggplant. There is no saving that for me. :lol2: )
Eggplant is terrible =( I cannot get past my loathing for it. "Egg plant" even sounds gross!
What's really good is green onions in with those grilled veggies with a big thick steak. Yummm!
I thought about trying to grill a whole turkey once...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been here for 16 years so the heat really doesn't faze me much anymore. Any time I do feel like whining about the heat, I remind myself that it NEVER snows here. :cheerleader:
Then I say, ":hellosmiley: heat! Glad to see you again!" :wave3: :sunshine:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes eggplant is just yucky to me. Even the texture. I tried growing it last year but only ended up with 2. They went to my mother. ;) It's a pretty plant though!

I've been here for 16 years so the heat really doesn't faze me much anymore. Any time I do feel like whining about the heat, I remind myself that it NEVER snows here. :cheerleader:
Then I say, ":hellosmiley: heat! Glad to see you again!" :wave3: :sunshine:
Thats the only thing that could make me become a snow bird. :lol: I have a few friends and acquaintances that have settled down there. Most say they miss the seasons; but never the snow. :lol: