Monday's Question Of The Day - August 14, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When was the last time you went to the post office?

I don't think I have gone since this spring! I need to go. We are out of stamps and I have a couple packages to mail. I drive a little farther to go to one that almost never has a wait. It's worth it! Especially since I always have kids with me. Sometimes the Clerk gives the kids a "sticker." And then they look like I'm getting ready to ship them Priority Express for the rest of the day. :thumbsup::flail:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every day! :lol:

I work at the Post Office. But not the one for my home's zip code. And I still leave my mail on the table too long because I keep forgetting to take it with me. . .:tongue:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe a few months ago? Hardly ever need to anymore. Most of my bills come via email and get paid online. I don't even send out cards anymore with checks as gifts. All my nieces and nephews prefer money to come to them through Paypal or other apps.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't even know. Rick just went a couple weeks ago to buy a sheet of stamps. I couldn't begin to think of when I was in there last.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our post office is 10 min. away and I probably go about twice a month. I mail packages there and also buy stamps.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I went to get a box to ship something a few months ago.... maybe.

I drive by it all the time, does that count?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
June, I think. It was to mail a package. I will need to go later this month to mail another package. My building has an outgoing mail box in the lobby so I just put my stamped mail in there.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I was just there a couple hours ago mailing a letter. I always mail my mail at the post office and not in my mailbox or those blue boxes on the corners. I just feel safer. I don't often go get in line unless I have something to mail that I need to get weighed or I need to buy stamps. Can't remember when the last time was for that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe last year? I really don't remember. I don't mail much anymore.

Does the US still have post office buildings? Canada Post now has mail desks and PO boxes in pharmacies and grocery stores, and I'm not sure if any actual post offices exist anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some Contract Post Offices in stores like Hy-Vee but they aren't manned by postal employees, and it turns out the mail is a bit complicated for high turnover minimum-wage teenagers. So we frequently deal with CPO parcels having the wrong postage or having dangerous contents :/. I'm sure they can sell stamps just fine but parcels seem to be too much for them.

Otherwise, yes, the USPS has physical locations, even in small towns. A lot have closed and they've changed the way they manage them, but yep.

If you still get home delivery there need to be locations where the carriers sort the mail for their routes, so probably there are still post offices around.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometime last year when I had to send a register letter. That lady was just plain nasty and I am glad I don't have to go to often. I buy my stamps at the grocery stores.

I've been thinking about getting a PO box. Can anyone tell me how much they cost?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends where you live but the small boxes are pretty cheap. The most expensive for the smallest box is $75 for 6 months (you have to pay 6 months at a time). . .they say that's the competitive market and I don't know what locations are considered competitive. They're only $20 for 6 months in my office. But even $75 for 6 months is only $12.50 a month so that's not too bad.

Sorry the clerk was nasty. You should fill out the online survey. . .they make us read those things every month. Might help!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I go all the time. I got a PO box many years ago for personal mail and just never changed my billing/mailing address over to my street address, so I still get most of my mail at the post office. I go once or twice a week. Going tomorrow, in fact. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm......this past wednesday -- i picked up the mail and bought some more forever stamps. i have a P.O. box at my hamlet's post office (about a 2 minute walk from my house), and pick up my mail in the range of every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. i don't get much mail really, and the few bills i have are on set due dates so i just go ahead and pay them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today actually. We don't have mail service where I am and I needed to pay the bill on the box.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be sure you get a US Mail post office box. When you rent box from a private company, you surrender ownership of your mail to them. That means they aren't required to forward it to you if you leave. Mail sent to you business address becomes property of the business, not you, and they don't have to give it to you. You can't forward it from there, either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you still get home delivery there need to be locations where the carriers sort the mail for their routes, so probably there are still post offices around.
Of course, duh. I Googled and the sorting location post office nearest me is open 9-5 Mon to Fri, so I can see why the other locations are the ones I'm familiar with, as they are also open nights and weekends.