Mommy To Be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. but heres a picture of the three of them eating! Will post better pictures for coloring ones it's alittle more cleaned up. 

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look at those pictures of that beautiful momma and her babies, anyone who says an animals care of her young is instinctive has never seen a momma cat and her kittens, that is not instinct, that is love!

they are beautiful, congrats

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Gibbly! They are very beautiful! I'm glad it's over, because we 930am rolled around and there was still nothing, you start to think the worst..and I was a mess! But I'm glad that she was just able to be induced an hour and half after the first shot it was game on!

We did get alittle scared, #3 didn't come out in a sac, so we had to do a rub to get him going, but once he got going he hasn't stopped! She did pull everything out thought..1 baby, 1 placenta, 1 afterbirth. Now it's time for everyone, including me, to rest and relax!

alicemama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
#3 looks great!! So sorry you had such a scare. Sophia is very lucky to have you!! :)

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear things ended up well for the kittens and mommy.
 Probably a relief that she didn't have six kittens after all..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a relief that she didn't have six kittens after all..
Agree, and how about that, the vet was incorrect in the count 
 Also agree with EB and OS about weighing daily in grams, far easier to track than weighing in ounces - easier to pick up any problems. 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I need to get a scale, which I will tomorrow before I go to work. 

I will be starting a new thread with lots of pictures!!

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be starting a new thread with lots of pictures!!
Scratch that, there's quite a few, I will post a photo bucket link for everyone to see!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad #3 made it safely. It sounds like you handled the pressure of the situation very well. It's always scary when things don't go right. You did a great job using your instincts and acting quickly when he was born without a sac. It's always re-assuring when you know you can handle such a stressful situation!

To others reading this thread waiting on kittens: this is a perfect example of why it's critical to be there for the birth! If someone hadn't been there when the first two were born you wouldn't know if there was still a kitten or just a placenta stuck. And, if you hadn't been there to revive baby #3 he most certainly would have died. I think kslyvester will vouch that it's better to be a little sleep deprived and have happy, healthy babies than the alternative! 

Congratulations and great work! 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im def very tired as I think everyone else is! 3 is still doing wonderful, she let it eat and cleaned it up a bit but took a little bit for her to come to that she had another one, I gave her space but watched from a distance to make sure she didn't reject it, but she is loving it just as much just took a little more time, but she's a good mommy and is doing great. I'm glad we didn't lose it or her for that matter! That was my greatest fear was losing her! When I called the vet this morning and they told me that if they did an emergency c section there was a great possibility that we would lose it, after I got of the phone with them, I balled! But Sophia came right to me like she was telling me everything was ok, shes always been good when something was wrong with me that she would make it better! So I know I had to stay strong for her!

They wanted to do the c section right off and I said no, I wanted the X-ray first and if it wasn't stuck I wanted go try induction first, they agreed, thank god! Because I would have been bottling feeding while she recovered, and that is very difficult with both of us working 40 hours a week, would have been rewarding but I would rather have Sophia getting her chance to shine as a mommy! Had she not had it by tomorrow we would of had to do it for her health, but I was there with her, she wanted my help seeings how she was sedated, she was using my hands to help push against. It was amazin and I'm very proud of her.

I'm not going to lie when I first found out she was pregnant, I was upset and ashamed because she should have been fixed sooner but there were a lot of things that made it kept getting pushed back. But nowni couldn't be any happier or proud, shesngetting fixed asap but im glad she got the chance at least once to be a mommy.

I'm 25 years old, disabled veteran, and have already battled cervical cancer, and my possibility of having kids is slim, so her having these babies makes me just as proud as if they were my own, and sophia is my baby, i love her like a mother loves a child, but she's just in kitty form!

I hope that other people will learn from my experience, and know that if you have any questions at all ask me! And I know there are a lot of people on here that will answer questions as well, I had alotnof messages exchanged with a few experienced members here with questions and concerns, so don't be afraid! These people are def here to help!! As well as my vet and an er clinic yielded many calls the past couple days about everything so don't be afraid to call them too.

There are many costs that can come with pregnant kitties as well, but I had started saving money for Sophia when I found out we were expecting so if anything happened I had the funds to do what I needed to, and it came in very handy!

Remember to trust your instincts as well! I love Sophia and I made sure she was cared for very well so I stayed up till 4am then was up every hour to check her, then made the call.

I'm thankful everyone is healthy and doing amazing. Sophia wants me within sight as much as possible, I left her to step outside and talk on the phone, and every time I come back to the room, I stop pet her and give her love, she grabbed my hand pulled it to her face and laid her head on it and started purring as she was laying there feeding her kittens, I balled again. She knows her mommy loves her and would do anything to keep her safe. She will come find me if the door is open and I'm gone to long, and she will make me follow her back to the kittens. She's so proud she wants to make sure I see!

As of right now the kittens are not named, probably next week we will sex the kittens and release their names! But we have 2 girls name and 2 boys name so we have some good combos...Luna, Stella, jack, or marvel. Marvel would be #3 because it is marvelous! especially since everything it went through!

Right now, they are eating and shes bathing them, and I'm going to rot my brain with tv till I fall asleep!

Good night all!

~One very proud Grammie!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I need to get a scale, which I will tomorrow before I go to work. 
Here in the UK a well-known chain of catalogue shops sells lots of suitable kitchen scales, and they are not expensive.  I find mine useful in the kitchen as well!  I'm sure similar are available in the US.

alicemama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, your post had me in tears. Such a touching story. I agree wholeheartedly that #3 is alive and well only because you were there and had great instincts!!
I can absolutely relate to the gulit you felt when you found out Sophia was pregnant. I was heartbroken when I realized that Alice was pregnant.
You are the epitomy of what makes this a fantastic forum. Many, many people will learn from yours and Sophia's story.
wishing you and your fur babies all the best. Looking forward to hearing and seeing updates. :rbheart:

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eb24 you arent wrong Sophia wouldn't have known the difference and I don't want people to think a queen should have a litter to complete her life. I agree with you, I'm now happy she did, now, lol. We are enjoying her and letting her have her new mommy glow!

Oriental slave I'm going to def find one today when I get the chance.

Alicemoma your welcome!

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
while I agree that Queens do mother out of love (as well as out of instinct) they are not human in the sense that they know they are pregnant and get all excited and start painting the babies room. Sophia's life would not have been bad had she not had this litter- she wouldn't have known the difference.
I would like to respectfully disagree, why wouldn't cats or dogs or anything for that matter know they are pregnant, they know that their bodies are changing and I'm sure she knew that there were babies inside her, if they didn't know, they wouldn't get so protective over their bellies. Emry was crazy with that the last few weeks, if I tried to touch her belly, I'd get a swat and a mean look xD.

I agree that her life would not have been over had she not had the litter. but as to whether they don't know they are pregnant, well that seems a bit silly, they aren't any less conscious about those sort of things as we are, we are animals, afterall.

ay anyrate, as I said before the babies are beautiful and good luck with them I look forward to watching them grow

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black one is definitely my favorite! Do you know what color the father is? Solid black or blue? The black and blue kittens look like they could maybe be smokes, or then they have a fever coat going on which mean they will get much darker and more even color later.

I like the name Luna, but I'm biased 'cause I have one of those myself.

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the father looks like, I wish I did. But #3 is going to be a very beautiful cat, he looks like he maybe end up a blue.

I love the name Luna as well! Can't wait to name them coming up her next week, and espically can't wait till their little personalities start coming out!