Mommy cat not cleaning newborn's feces off fur

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten food is not manatory. The adult classic pates are equally as good to use. Let me know if their poops get better on the chicken or turkey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, we used the last of the oceanfish last night, and I went to look for the classic pates... they had it, but low-and-behold there were a lot of by-products.  However, I noticed this morning when we took them outside, they sneaked up and was eating Milo's hard food... chewing it pretty well, too... so I got Rachel Ray's chicken (canned not hard), which I saw was shredded very finely.  They are eating it as I type this, and seem to like it quite a bit.  I don't think they're gonna leave any for momma to get. LOL

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad you found a brand of chicken wet food that the kittens like. Mom should have some too!

How is the diarrhea situation?

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure yet. I will check after they use the box

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that the change to chicken has done the trick.  All their stools seem well formed.

However, they still like to play in the litter box.  This morning, when I went to the bathroom, Junior was in the box, and while I used the toilet, he finished his business, scratched the litter a bit and starting running around. and pouncing.  Somehow I don't think Jitterbug is a good example for them, because she doesn't bury her poop too well.  I think she was taken too soon from her mom (6 weeks), and didn't quite learn all she needed to on that.  The other day, I saw Kahlua not only attempting to bury her own poop, but Jitterbug's as well. LOL

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that the switch to chicken did the trick!

I think you are right about Jitterbug not learning well early on. At least some of the kittens are figuring it out! ;)

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is something I've been wondering for awhile... when Jitterbug is finished eating, she'll scratch at the floor like she's trying to bury her food (in fact, if there is anything like a dropped receipt or other piece of paper, she'll drag it over to put it in her bowl). Now she's got Kahlua doing it.  I never knew cats buried their food.  I know dogs do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, cats cover their food in the wild to hide it from predators. It's an instinct. All my cats scratch as though they are "covering" their food when they are done eating. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, that's good.  Because sometimes Jitterbug 'covers' her food before she even eats, and we thought she was telling us it was crappy and should be in the litterbox. LOL

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo does that when he doesn't like his food. It's very clear he is saying, "Yuck!" He eats his usual food, but if you offer him something else, that's the way he rejects it.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Big sigh here... we gave two of the kittens to a good home, today.  I miss them already. 
The young lady took Poncho (which I'd taken to call Pouncetta because of her predeliction for pouncing), and Kahlua.  LOL She took the most rambuncious one and the calmest one. The two are a real contrast to each other.  My husband saw on Facebook that they already renamed them Eleanore and Josie.

In other news, my son and I finally convinced our husband to get Jitterbug and the other two kittens spaded... though he still doesn't want to get Milo (our tomcat) neutered.

We discovered an interesting thing yesterday.  We were looking at what we thought were the more expensive brands of cat food, and found out that we could buy a quality brand that has NO meat by-products whatsoever (as opposed to ones that have real meat as the first ingredient, but a little further down on the list are meat by-products) that is cheaper than the ones we'd been buying.  The one we got was $10 for a six pound bag, and the one we'd been buying (Purina One) was $8 for a 5 pound bag.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jitterbug seems to be looking for her other two kittens. It's breaking my heart.  How do I help her come to terms that the other two are not here?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's always sad. She'll get over it in a few days. Eight weeks is the bare minimum for re-homing. Try to keep the others for at least 12 weeks. It's more ideal for mom and babies.

Glad you found cheaper but decent cat food.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we're keeping the other two, and are planning on spaying them.  How old again should they be before we can have them spayed?  10 weeks?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The minimum is 2 pounds for spay/neuter. Earlier is better. I had mine done at 12 weeks.

Mom can be spayed anytime now. Sooner is better. She'll still be able to nurse. Mine did for 16 weeks.

Are you able to follow up on the two you re-homed? Did they go together?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jitterbug seems to be looking for her other two kittens. It's breaking my heart.  How do I help her come to terms that the other two are not here?
That's a good question.  I feel bad for Jitterbug.  Surely there is some kind of info regarding letting the kittens go.  Like maybe just one or two at a time?  I will search for some info about this and send you a link if I find a good one.  

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were planning to go to the Humane Society to get the spaying done.  A friend of my son's said we can say they were strays and they'll do it for free.  I'll have to check to see when they will do it.

Pouncetta and Kahlua went to the same person.  She said she would get them spayed.  One of the things we insisted as a condition for her taking them was that she not declaw them.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That's a good question.  I feel bad for Jitterbug.  Surely there is some kind of info regarding letting the kittens go.  Like maybe just one or two at a time?  I will search for some info about this and send you a link if I find a good one.  
Well, what we did was take all four kittens and Jitterbug to the other person's house.  We already knew we wanted to keep Cerebra and Mila because the two were the ones we really bonded with (when they come into the bedroom in the morning and sleep beside you, it's hard not to bond).  So, it was just a decision whether she wanted one or both of the others.  She chose both.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was an unusual way to re-home. Most parties visit at your home.

I certainly hope the new owner will not declaw. It's barbaric and inhumane, not to mention incredibly painful for life.

The claw tips are easily trimmed monthly at home or at the vet's.

Your cats are not strays or ferals, however, the Humane Society here in Florida is very inexpensive compared to a private vet. You'll need to inquire in your area as to prices. Mine has kitten packages that include shots. They also book a month ahead during kitten season, so I urge you to call right away for an appointment.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, what we did was take all four kittens and Jitterbug to the other person's house.  We already knew we wanted to keep Cerebra and Mila because the two were the ones we really bonded with (when they come into the bedroom in the morning and sleep beside you, it's hard not to bond).  So, it was just a decision whether she wanted one or both of the others.  She chose both.
So the mama got to see the kitten new home?  That is unsual.  Do you think it helped her or no?