Mommy cat not cleaning newborn's feces off fur

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's awesome that they are all eating so well! It's amazing how quickly they learn their names. They learn each others' names too.

Give the toys time! They will play with them eventually and enjoy them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens did the cutest thing this morning, & darned if I didn't have my phone on me so I could video it! As I posted before, the kittens are now eating soft food. Well, this morning I fed them, and after they were finished I let Jitterbug in to finish off what they didn't eat. Three of them fell asleep, but the fourth decided to wash down her food with momma's milk. So here Jitters is, still standing and eating while Cerebro is nursing.

That's not the end to the cuteness though!

When Jitterbug was finished eating, she walked away. She sat down a foot away with her back to the kitten and started grooming herself. Cerebro went over and began grooming momma's back, then leaned against her mom and fell asleep!  Cerebro is the one that grooms herself and the others more often.  In fact, sometimes while she is play fighting with one of the other kittens, she'll all of a sudden start grooming the other one, and it takes the other one a few moments to realize Cerebro isn't fighting him/her anymore, and then start grooming her in kind. LOL

Well, the kittens have just performed another first this afternoon. They used the litterbox. As usual, Junior was the first one, then the other three copied him.... they don't know how to cover it yet though. They scratch the litter before, but not after. Well, one did scratch after he pooped, but missed and the litter went in one of the other's face. Oopsie! LOL

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those are really cute stories! They are at a cute age for sure! That is great that they started using the litter box. You'll have no trouble with these kittens at all! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are really cute stories! They are at a cute age for sure! That is great that they started using the litter box. You'll have no trouble with these kittens at all! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Actually, I do have a problem.  A circling back to the original problem for which I originally posted in thread.  Kahlua, when she used the litterbox, not all of it came out, and she sat and spread it on the carpet.  Just a few minutes ago, I noticed her sitting in the litterbox... just sitting there while one of the others used it again.  Well, she had it dried all over her backside.  I tried to get Jitterbug to clean her, but Jitterbug wouldn't so I had to.  It was a very dramatic thing.  While I sat there trying to clean Kahlua, she was crying out.  Her brothers and sister all came over to investigate, and Junior even crawled up on my lap.

So, the question is, why is she the only one who has poop on her, and how do I get her to be like the rest?  She doesn't seem to be sick or anything, and her poop seems to be the same consistency as the others'.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is not going to clean their bums anymore now that they are having formed stools.

It sounds like it just did not all come out quite right and she went back in thinking she had to go again. Since it was the same as the others, there doesn't seem to be a problem other than a hard time getting it all out.

This happened to 2 of my kittens last year a time or two apiece, and I had to clean a streak off the floor and their back ends, but they were fine. Not sick. Just had poop stuck that didn't fall off and then got squished when they tried to rub it off on the floor.

Hopefully it won't happen often. Of course the others have to come running to check out what's going on! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

P.S. Sorry if I jinxed you!

Last edited:

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in jinxing... I think it was gonna happen anyway. LOL

When should I introduce them to drinking plain water?  Is the watered down soft food okay for now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is okay for now, but just always leave a water bowl down. The kittens will figure water out as they get older. Are they still nursing mom? If so, they are getting plenty for now from mom and the wet food.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are still nursing mom... though Jitters seems to be less eager to lay still for them for as long.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That happens. Mom gets tired of those little teeth and sharp claws! It's part of weaning.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Though they don't seem to have diarrhea, two of the kitten's stool is very runny, and they mew as if in distress while they are going number 2.  How normal is this?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. What are they eating right now? When did this start? Is the poop still brown?

Last edited:

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mix kms, water and canned kitten food together, and feed them three times a day.  Though they don't eat the whole thing... I let Jitterbug come in and finish off what they don't eat.  We go through one can a day.  They also still nurse.  The poop is still brown.  It's just runny.

They don't seem sick.  They are very active.  Even the two that were less active before seem more active once they started eating the solid food.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What wet food are you using? Brand and flavor.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The poop should still be somewhat formed - toothpaste consistency, so no, the runny poop is not normal.

I'm wondering if it's the particular food, or whether they are just adjusting to it being added to their diet. Dietary changes can cause runny poop. The fact it's still brown is good though.

When did you begin adding the wet food?

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What wet food are you using? Brand and flavor.
The poop should still be somewhat formed - toothpaste consistency, so no, the runny poop is not normal.

I'm wondering if it's the particular food, or whether they are just adjusting to it being added to their diet. Dietary changes can cause runny poop. The fact it's still brown is good though.

When did you begin adding the wet food?
I'm using Fancy Feast tender ocean whitefish feast.  Yesterday was the third or fourth day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the Fancy Feast classic pate turkey or chicken instead. It may be the fish. Let's see if that helps.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the Fancy Feast classic pate turkey or chicken instead. It may be the fish. Let's see if that helps.
Trouble is, where we get it, the fish is the only flavor they have in Fancy Feast for kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use adult classic pate turkey or chicken. It's very finely ground. First ingredient is meat. That's what I meant before.

grandkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, ok.  I thought we should only feed kitten food to the kittens.  But if it's finely ground enough, I guess it's fine then.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is the fish that is bothering them you can order the food you need on line through Amazon or chewy.com.  there are others as well, petsmart.com , petco.com.  Shop around.  Walmart may even carry it on-line and ship to the store.