Momma doesnt knoe what to do

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my neighbor is fostering a pregnant cat who just had her kittens. Two of them. One kitten looks healthy, just small. The other kitten is smaller, has a red abcess looking thing on the umbilical cord and is not eating.

The mom is acting confused. It took an hour for her to even start paying attention to the kittens. This is after we had her bring them over to see if misty could kind of show her what to do.

She is feeding the one and trying to feed the one with the abcess but he is having trouble. He keeps trying to just get under her or looking for a teat. I've even tried putting him right up to a teat. What can we do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay mom isn't feeding them at all. Just sitting on them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens and mom need to go to a vet. That abscess is concerning.

Are you sure she's done delivering? Some moms don't start feeding until after they're totally done. Continue putting the babies to a nipple and watch to see if they latch. If they don't by tomorrow morning, you'll need to start feeding them yourself.

Let us know if you need instructions. It's not difficult, but quite time consuming.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just started to let them eat after I did that last post then stopped to have her 3rd one. Who looks very healthy.

The abcess is only hooked to the umbilical cord not the kitten. The picture doesn't show it quite well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can remove whatever it is by tying off the cord and cutting the abscess off.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will see if I can. There is not much room between kitten and the mass.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just had a 4th. She is now being very motherly and feeding them. Maybe she was just having a hard time feeding and birthing.

I'm keeping her at my house for a couple weeks so that misty can help set an example for this momma.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the multiple post. Neighbor just noticed the one with the mass on the umbilical cord has no tail. Just a stump. Is this normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know how often it occurs, but it does happen and should not be a problem.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the help. My neighbor came over freaking out and i was like i dont know what to do either. We both appreciate everything :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Doing this from my phone. The mass/hernia could possibly be either a piece of the bowel which herniated out or part of the liver. I am thinking of anomalies I would see when I was ultra sounding pregnant women. Is the cord attached to one side of the mass of is it central. Either way, it is not good. About the tail, I do not know. It could be associated with a midline defect. Not good. Can you see if there is a rectum? Is momma ignoring this baby?--bad sign.
Needs to see the Vet

It could also just be a cord cyst. Still needs Vet

Last edited:

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma is not ignoring. Baby is eating just fine. Ill explain the mass the best i can, and try to get a picture in the morning.

So there is the kittens stomach, the umbilical cord, which is maybe a half inch long, and then the mass at the end of the cord.

The baby does have a rectum and doesnt seem to be having issues with moving any limbs, meowing, eating. The baby seems perfectly normal besides the mass at the end of the umbilical cord.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I see in the picture you sent, this does NOT look like an 'extension' of the umbilical cord, but more like a herniation. I would NOT tie it off OR try to cut/remove it! You don't know for sure what it is.

The kitten needs to be seen by a Vet as soon as possible. 

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were going to the vet tomorrow. Im really hoping its nothing serious.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suggest you keep it moist! If it is a herniated or prolapsed intestine or abdominal lining (which is 'common' in newborn kittens), the tissue canNOT be allowed to dry out! Apply a damp gauze over it and then wrap it with Saran Wrap until you can get to the vet. (Use either Saline or boil a little water and let it cool to wet the gauze). It's normally not life-threatening, and can usually be reduced, but if the intestine is involved, it [the intestine] could become strangulated. 

Keep us posted!

Last edited:

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The little one died last night. I did keep it moist and stayed up all night with him. I feel so bad but there is no vet around here none in town that are 24 hours. Momma seema to take it well and still caring for other 3.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, KattyKat1, (((hugs)))  

I am sad to hear of this...

But I really felt it was only a matter of time. 

From what I was thinking, it was a bad thing to begin with. It was a herniation of some of the stomach contents. Either the bowel or liver. That is a bad thing....If it is what I am thinking, it had to be taken care of surgically. 

You tried and your neighbor fought so hard to do your best with this little one and for all the others.  

There is a place in heaven waiting for you.

I really do not know what else to say.. I think I am coming across as a cold bit@##...but I am not. I do not feel this little baby had a chance...
 ;   Even with a Vet/Surgical intervention.....You guys tried so hard to help ((hugs)))

So sorry you had to go thru this nightmare...

Just look at the other babies (both yours and your neighbors newborns) and hug them close....as I am doing.

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, KattyKat1, (((hugs)))  :alright:

I am sad to hear of this...

But I really felt it was only a matter of time. 

From what I was thinking, it was a bad thing to begin with. It was a herniation of some of the stomach contents. Either the bowel or liver. That is a bad thing....If it is what I am thinking, it had to be taken care of surgically. 

You tried and your neighbor fought so hard to do your best with this little one and for all the others.  
There is a place in heaven waiting for you.

I really do not know what else to say.. I think I am coming across as a cold bit@##...but I am not. I do not feel this little baby had a chance...:sigh:  ;   Even with a Vet/Surgical intervention.....You guys tried so hard to help ((hugs)))

So sorry you had to go thru this nightmare...
Just look at the other babies (both yours and your neighbors newborns) and hug them close....as I am doing.
Thank you artiemom we were really hoping since he was eating and mom was caring for him He would have made it, at least till we could get him to the vet. My husband was thinking he wouldn't make it either, so I don't think you sound cold hearted. Just kind of sucks. Thankfully the other three are doing very well.

Misty is helping the new Momma with babysitting (you would think they have known each other for years). I still think the new Momma may not fully understand what she needs to do as she is still leaving the babies frequently, but still feeding them. Could the mom still abandon them?

Sorry for even more questions. I just want to make sure the remaining three are still well cared for.