Momma And Kitty Semi Feral

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I have a question/need advise. My husband and I live in an apartment with our two inside cats. Recently my husband noticed a momma cat and her kitten in the parking lot near a bunch of bushes. He pointed them out to to me one day and it broke my heart. The momma cat is so tiny she could be a kitten herself and the kitten a tiny as well. I'm not sure if they are feral because they came right up to us meowing, purring and rubbing against our legs. I started to feed them last week and now want to get them fixed. Part of me wants to adopt them but the rational side knows we can't. We already have two attention seeking cats, the complex only allows two cats in the apartments and I just found out I'm pregnant. So in the next few months a lot of changes will be happeneing and I don't think it would be fair to our cats or the outside ones to start anything. I found a low cost clinic that will spay/neuter and vaccinate them. My question is do you think I should find a shelter to place them up for adoption or return them to the complex? If we lived in an actual house I would take them in regardless but it's hard when we're living in a one bedroom apartment near DC. Any advise would be great!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello nini85 nini85 , thank you for having the heart to save momma cat and her kittens. Sounds to me they aren't ferals. As ferals will not come up to you and meow, purr and rub against your legs.

I understand your situation and can you have momma cat spayed and vaccinated so that she dosen't get pregnant again as she can be in a short while. While going through the process of getting her spayed, leave words with your neighborhood rescue group, local shelter and social media and friends to get them adopted.

It'll be good if you turn them to a no kill shelter rather than leave them in the streets to fend for themselves.

Do keep us posted please :wink:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten will almost surely find help in any decent shelter. They are easy to adopt out if healthy.
Its worse with adults. As she almost surely was once a home family girl, thrown out when she become preg, she does actually have a chance she too. Otherwise, shy semiferales are often just pts in an average shelter. Few shelters works with fostering of adult semiferales.

As she is no true semiferal, I dont think your main option should be to return her, TNR, even if you help her with the spaying. Even if this is of course much better than nothing. She had after all, managed on her own several months now.

I think you shall try to find her a good home - preferably yourself, but if you cant, via this shelter or even better, a rescue group. Talk it through with them perhaps... Just be sure the "we shall take care of all this, madame, dont worry, we find them good home, no problem at all" is for real, and not just to calm your conscience, and the gas chamber is next station for them.
Its only if they discuss for real, perhaps give you a couple of examples and references, you will know whom they are...

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The mother cat was probably a stray, since she seems so friendly. It is totally possible that the mom is also a kitten, cats can become pregnant as early as four months. I would reccommend taking them to the clinic to be fixed and vaccinated, and then trying to either find a trusted friend to take them in or take them to a no-kill shelter. Since the cats are young and friendly, they probably will be adopted fairly quickly.

You are doing a great thing, caring for these kitties!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would bring them inside for now and get both fixed. Then call around for a no-kill rescue that will take them and even place them together.

They really are not safe outside.

Thank you for caring for them! :)

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Friendly cats living on the streets, sounds like someone may have dumped them. I don't really have anything to add but please get them off the streets if you can. They would stand a better chance on the streets if they were not friendly because they may approach a person that does not have good intentions. Living on the streets it is a matter of time before disease, a car, or a cruel person is likely to get them. I think you and your husband are awesome people for caring and would be super-duper extra awesome if you get those cats off the streets asap. If you take them into your apartment be sure to isolate them from your existing cats as you don't want the chance of spreading disease to your existing cats. Not that I am saying you should take them into your apartment just that if you do...

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally understand - and empathize with - your dilemma. What a wonderful heart you have though as obviously many others have seen momma and baby and done nothing. And obviously these two sweeties chose you to look to to be saved! Cats can get pregnant as early as 4 months - - so it's very possible Momma is basically a kitten herself! Neither momma nor baby sound like they classify as feral or even "semi-feral" if they're that friendly. Ferals have had no human contact from day one - - and avoid humans (the exception is if someone starts to feed them - then they can start to bond with the person feeding them). Ferals are also very quiet - they learn early that making noise draws attention - and makes them more vulnerable to attack. But your two sound most definitely as though they've been dumped - - very likely after momma got pregnant, someone decided it was "too much."

Shelters will be pretty full right now - - as it's "kitten season" (the months of the year when shelters are just overflowing with kittens). But that doesn't mean it's impossible to get them into a shelter - it just might take some persistence. If it's possible to visit area shelters versus calling - that's best as it's alot easier to say "no" to someone on the phone than someone standing there, trying to do the right thing (I'm in no way saying anything nasty about shelters by saying that - it's just human nature that it's easier to turn away a "voice on the phone" than a person).

No matter what - I'd definitely say get them fixed if you can. Because momma kitty can have another litter VERY quickly, and the little one (as noted above) can get pregnant so young - - - which means LOTS more unwanted kitties :( And unfortunately the lifespan of any totally outside kitty is less than half of an inside kitty. And even shorter for outside kittens.

I definitely understand you've got ALOT going on - - - and the apartment situation, along with already having several kitties. If it's possible at all - - - I'd get them in and get them fixed. A lot of spay/neuter clinics will also do testing for anything contagious to your inside guys. And if the spay/neuter clinic can't do that - check around, many cities have clinics that provide VERY inexpensive testing, basic shots, flea treatments, etc. Some even let you spread out payments.

If at all possible - obviously it's best to get them inside as the outside is SO dangerous (especially to the baby) - - between (depending on your area) cars, dogs, coyotes, mean people (you'd be amazed at how rotten people can be to outside kitties - we even went through a round of someone poisoning outside kitties in our nice little suburban neighborhood!), etc. So if it's possible at all, I'd get them fixed and inside - into a bedroom or bathroom where you can separate them from your kitties while you work on getting them a new home OR a shelter. They sound so sweet - they'll hopefully find something soon. As far as finding them homes - what's worked for me in the past is shameless self-promotion :) Start taking pictures NOW - - especially while they look so small. Post their story and adorable pics on social media (although I would NOT mention that they're in your apartment - - just in case your landlord would see your posts).....begging people to share their story - that it's critical they find homes soon. Make flyers with adorable color pics, and the story of how they were tossed out on the street to try to survive on their own while so young, and emphasize how friendly both are. Put flyers up at anything pet-oriented (pet food stores, local vets, shelters, even the grocery store). Ask your friends to put flyers up too - and to pass them around. So far (knock on wood!!!!) - - - I've gotten many cats and kittens into new homes solely through flyers and social media.

All that said - - - if you just can't even bring them in temporarily and have no choice but to return them outside, please at least get them fixed. And if possible - - you could even set up a shelter and feeding station (lots of people on this site can help you do that). ANd....continue to try to push getting them an inside home. It sounds like they really would love to be loved :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7610.PNG
The top is Slade and bottom is Luna. Both taken from videos I have of them being silly and cute.

Just a quick update for this post. I didn't realize I had notifications turned off and surprised by getting comments. I found out that the area of my apartment is considered rural and qualify for free spay/neuter for up to 4 cats. That alone made my day when the clinic called to let me know they have an opening in August. However that happy thought was popped now that I have to wait until the end of August. I'm taking mom and baby to the vet in two weeks (after payday). My concern is that mom might be pregnant again she was MIA for a week and I got to bond with Slade, still not sure if girl or boy. I'm trying to figure out how to bring them inside AND make it work with my living situation (one bedroom dc apartment with two attenation seeking cats and one has special needs). I have two friends that expressed interest in taking them which is great but if mom is pregnant I don't know what to do. I've named them already and my husband agreed that if we have more room we'd take them in asap. My darling husband joked that if Luna (the momma) is pregnant she and I will be pregnant together. I can't wait for payday to take them to the vet.
I found out from a neighbor that Luna was abandoned by her owners but did not have Slade when that happened. I don't understand how people can abandon their babies. To me, my pets are family and will be treated as such.

I'll post an update after the vet appointment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is pregnant it will be very early on, and she probably is if she went missing. The kindest thing you can do at this point is proceed with the spay and terminate the pregnancy. Early on it is no different than a routine spay.

This mom and her kitten need a home, not more kittens.

It is cruel when folks move and leave pets behind. Thank you for caring for them and your overall kindness and concern.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're both adorable - and boy, Luna does look like such a young mom! While some cats are just plain petite, she does look young. We have a little one that we TNR'd and eventually brought inside - - we thought she was about 8 months old when we first saw her, but turned out she's just super tiny! Barely 6 pounds now at 3 years old - -my husband calls her our "perma kitten." And Slade is adorable! I can't say 100% because of the way her back leg is in the photo - - but I'd say I'm 95% sure Slade's a she :)

How wonderful that you can get them both in - AND it sounds like both can end up in forever homes - fantastic!!!!!! I agree wholeheartedly with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 -- if she was gone that long from her baby, she probably is pregnant. I understand how difficult it is to make the decision to go ahead and spay her if she's pregnant - I've struggled many times with it. But I always remind myself of exactly what Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said - - Poor Luna doesn't need to suffer through another pregnancy while outside -- it's hard on her body, particularly while so young. Plus t's dangerous because it forces her to work harder and go further to find food to get enough calories to feed the babies. And if there's any kind of complication in delivery or pregnancy, there's no one to help her. And heartbreakingly - the vast majority of kittens born outside don't survive. I'd keep the appointment to fix both. The last thing you want to be doing in a few months is trying to find homes for even MORE kittens :)

And it IS awful that people move and abandon living beings out there like a couch they don't want to take with them. Sadly - it happens so often. And most of them don't end up being found by someone like you!

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and kittychick kittychick the thought of making that decision to spay while pregnant is very tough but reading both of your input on how it will be more beneficial for Luna to not go through another pregnancy definitely made sense. It's still a tough decision but I know it will be the right one for her in the long run. Thank you!

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 yes the earliest I could get in is August 27. And a vet appointment this Saturday. I'm hoping the vet will say they both are ok to get spayed. The county clinic who will do the spay for free does it at the end of each month and will spay pregnant Luna.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
nini85 nini85

That's 5 weeks from now. How far along will she be by then? I do not recommend spaying after the halfway point.

Do you recall when it was that she went missing for a week?

Do you have mom and kitten inside now?

Last edited:

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 i noticed her missing last week, I remember frantically searching up and down the parking lot for her last Tuesday. Then by Friday she was back as if nothing happened but was hanging around a male cat. I'm guessing it happened around July 15-20 and by July 21 she was back. I don't know how long a cat is pregnant but will ask Saturday at the vet what they think.
If money wasn't an issue I would get her spayed asap but unfortunalty bills and rent are always approaching

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A cat is pregnant for about 65 days (9 weeks). If she conceived during those dates, she would be about 6 weeks along by then. See what the vet says and take it from there for now.

I understand totally about using the free spay. I just did not know you would have to wait that many weeks for the appointment. You'll have time to think about this.

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Wow I had no idea it was a short pregnancy. Kinda wish it was the same for me lol. But then again I have five more months and I still feel unprepared :lol:.
I will be so happy when it's Saturday and they get to see the vet. I will definitely post and update once we're home and settled. Thank you for all the advice!!!:rock:

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on momma and kitty:
Sorry for the long break, my pregnancy was kicking my butt really bad but all is good now!
My husband took pity on me I think and we decided to bring the kitty Slade inside. She was spayed last weekend and has adjusted tremendously well to us, being an inside cat and to my other two cats (just don't tell my landlord). She is done with antibiotics for worms and was given revolution at the vets. Also have it for my other two girls. Hoping that my friend will be able to take her in the next few weeks.

Now on to Luna the momma kitty, she disappeared on us for almost three weeks. It broke my heart that she was gone, the day before I was supposed to take her to the vet was the last time I saw her until last Tuesday. Out of nowhere she comes prancing up to me meowing and affectionate as always. Still pregnant I noticed. I immediately fed her, I always kept a container of food just in case she came back. For the next few days she would greet me by my car in the morning and when I got home from work. Saturday evening comes and no sign of her. Sunday before going to bed my husband calls from the porch. Luna is there frantic. Mind you my apartment is all the way across the parking lot tucked away. She is there and skinny, our hearts sink and we go searching with her after feeding her. Couldn't find the babies at all. We have been searching every day since Sunday for them. She will come out and greet me like always but it's from different areas. This weekend we are going to look for them, hopefully we'll find them. On a happy note my husband's friend wants to adopt her. So that is great. We are in the process of arranging when they can drive down from NJ to get her. Fingers crossed the babies survived.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Please do not give her away until you locate the babies. They are out there hidden, I assure you.

Please feed her as much and as often as you can. She needs it.

Play newborn kitten sounds from YouTube on your phone after she eats, then follow her as she will think it's her babies crying.

I hope this helps you to find them and bring both mom and babies inside until your friend can come.

nini85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I didn't mean for it to sound like the mom was going to be taken without the babies anytime soon. My husband's friend said they can take mom and one baby if that's possible. If I remember correcrly they shouldn't be separated for like 6-8 weeks post birth. I'm hoping to find them asap since this weekend will be cold.
Luna is scheduled to be spayed at the end of September so we are trying to scheduled a visit with the friends then. My mind was way ahead of what I was typing, sorry.

When Luna eats she will walk away or ask for pets then she goes back to eating. I was outside with her for about 30-40 min last night doing the petting and eating dance with her. I though she would have walked back to the babies but no luck. She decided to lay in the grass and clean herself then sleep.
I will definitely try the sound of new kittens to see if that work. Thanks for the suggestions!!