Modern words and phrases that get under your skin.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stan is from an Eminem song about a fan who is overly obsessive. So it started out referring to an insane fan, like Stan in the song, and now it seems to just mean a regular fan.

I wouldn't think saying you stan someone famous would be a compliment to yourself, because in the song Stan kills himself and his pregnant girlfriend because Slim Shady won't answer his fan letters, but hey.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
... I have no problems with pretty much every entry on this thread (except for "bae", hearing it used unironically makes me want to launch it into the sun. And snowflake; been on the wrong end of that one too many times). Then again, I'm right in the middle of the millennial age group and we're pros at coming up with things that everyone else hates.

It's worth noting that I'm generally a stickler about grammar and proper usage in my own writing; to me, actively choosing to set that aside is a form of expression in and of itself. The English language is still remarkably expressive even when it's used incorrectly, and who am I to police someone else's means of expression (unless I'm editing something that's supposed to be a professional document, and then I'll tear that sucker to shreds). It's a matter of when and where. I'll use every bit of millennial slang in the book and a heavy dose of rude profanity when talking with my best friend, but I'm obviously going to speak a lot more respectfully with my bosses or professors or the patients at the hospital I work with. Or on here, where I don't know everyone's background.

I can agree with disgust over corporate speak, though. Like W Willowy said, it's insulting to think that corporate types think their employees are really that stupid. I recently had to write up a business plan and create a slide deck for a fake business (it's harder than it sounds). I filled it full of corporate buzzwords, and hated myself a tiny bit for it, but I needed the grade.