Missing Cat.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might be a long story. Recently I have suspicions and evidence my cat Midnight was stolen from me. I would like suggestions, anything I can do to get him back.

Another tenant in the park, a heavyset woman was the original owner of both Tiger and Midnight. We think she got the cat for her kids however she did not want the responsibility of cats or pets in general so she tossed them outside. We always saw the cats outside, they didn't look like they were being fed and hungry.  We did not see any food or water placed outside for the cats and never saw them go inside. In my opinion that alone relinquishes her from the right as being their owner. 

These cats, kittens at the time kept running in the road and nearly got hit on multiple occasions. A social worker that was coming to the park for someone else nearly hit them when they ran in the road. She left a polite note telling the lady if she didn't take her cats inside and keep them in and take care of them she would take them to a shelter. After that she gave one of the kittens to two teenage girls across from my parents and the other to a girl on the other side of the park. The father of the teenage girls did not want cats inside and one of the teenage girls moved out and Tiger ended up outside. Midnight ended up outside again after he ran out of that girls house on the other side of the park, he was running away with her chasing him. I guess she got aggravated so they too abandoned him again. Both cats were abandoned and outside again. So I finally had enough and took them in, provided a loving nurturing home with plenty of food. I already had a cat so I had all the supplies to care for them.

Tiger mysteriously came up missing in October of last year. No idea what happened to him, no evidence at the time either - until recently that is. My parents are currently in a dispute with their neighbors that scammed them out of money. Low life deadbeats mooching off others that don't want to pay their bills. The husband is a compulsive/habitual liar that the truth rarely ever comes out. They are the type to blame the victims they victimize because according to them they haven't done anything wrong, it's the victim's fault and they play themselves as being the victim. This hasn't been the first time they've ripped someone off. They've tried ripping my parents off once before, one of the times they actually did. My parents let them use their electricity when theirs got shut off. They promised to pay my parents back, they took advantage of it running air conditioners and all sorts of stuff, kept lying how they were paying on their utilities and the utility company was coming to turn them back on. My parents got tired of it and cut them off after a couple weeks. My parents gave the guy the opportunity of doing work for them however we now suspect he never did the work or botched it so my parents would pay him to come back and fix it when it gave out. Truly disgusting people.

Well they ruined it for themselves and no more will my parents or myself give them the benefit of the doubt and trust them. They for the last time scammed my parents when my father gave him money to give him new tires for their truck. He claimed he knew someone that had tires and claimed he got a pair of tires from the local junkyard, part salvage business in the city. All this leads up to the disappearance of my cat.

My cat Midnight suspiciously came up missing at the time of this dispute. The lady that originally had Tiger and Midnight is the other next door neigbor of the deadbeat. They all act like best friends and she is letting them use her electricity. When Midnight came up missing I overheard her and the deadbeats (the wife) talking to the former owner of Midnight and Tiger. I could hear them talking about Midnight but couldn't make out everything being said. I've watched Midnight go over by their homes and watched him walk over that way the night he went missing. I wouldn't doubt this is the deadbeats way of exacting out revenge because they want to blame the victim and act like they are the victim rather than take responsibility and blame themselves.

We've threatened to call the police however they don't take it seriously. In fact there's prior history and accusations against them. However they either lie good enough to fool everyone or keep a low enough profile they never get into any real, serious legal trouble.

When I went looking for Midnight I asked neighbors to keep an eye out for him and let me know if they hear anything. One of the teenage girls that had one of the other cats that came up missing told me the lady that originally owned them took Tiger and dropped him on a farm. I don't know what farm but it scares me because we saw a cat that looked like him not long ago that had been hit and dead in the road not far from a farm.

This lady, she had no right. She didn't want them, she gave up her rights as an owner. I adopted them and provided a loving, nurturing home. It was ME that took them in. It was ME that cared for them. It was ME that provided an adequate, regular supply of food to feed them. It was ME that litter trained them. It was ME that nursed them to health when they were sick. It was ME that bonded with them and them that bonded with ME taking ME as their rightful, only owner. It was ME that gave them the love and attention they required. It is ME that has pictures and proof they are my cats, this lady has nothing.

MY cat(s) has been ripped away and stolen from me. My heart is heavy and I've a hole so big the Titanic could go through. I'm broken and lost, I've been worried sick. My worst fear came to fruition that Midnight would be the next to go missing. What am I to do, this lady and the neighbors can just deny everything so how am I to get them to talk since the police surely won't do anything?

Please, any advice and suggestions are very much appreciated to get my cat back. I'm not sure now that I'd ever get Tiger back since too much time has passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Were these cats chipped? If they've been micro-chipped and you are registered as there owner you might be able to et them back that way. Do you have documents from your vet with dates of when they were neutered, notes about any medication they were given? This would also prove that you were the care giver for these cats.

It sounds to me that, if these people stole your cats and are keeping them hidden in their house, they'll soon get tired of them and kick them out again. If you think they've been moved to a different location you could try looking around the farms in your area, maybe put up a few cat missing posters.

One thing you could try is putting up a poster that says "REWARD" in big letters. Someone who knows something about your cats might tip you off, or the family who took your cats might try to make some money out of it and mysteriously "find" your cats. You don't have to say how much the reward is until you see the cats again, a dollar is enough. 

When you get them back please try to keep them indoors or teach them how to walk on a harness and leash. It's really too dangerous out there for cats, even without crazy neighbours.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get them chipped or anything yet. I was about to get Midnight in for neutering but the SPCA is slow and I was doing a TNR operation and late last year took in six feral kittens I litter trained, socialized and have been fostering. I was trying to get the ferals in for spaying/neutering however it's difficult to obtain openings under their discount "barncat" clinic. After they were done I was going to get my indoor cat in then Midnight in. I was about ready to just pay the full price to get Midnight and my indoor polydactyl cat "Paully" in to be neutered and get shots. Tiger came up missing before any of this, I didn't have him for very long before he mysteriously went missing.

I have pictures which I believe is most likely more than this lady has. I have pictures of Midnight and Tiger in my home. I have a picture showing how Midnight bonded with me and would cuddle with me. I have pictures showing the cat food I bought. I have documents although for other cats showing I was caring for them all and getting them in for spaying, neutering and shots. This lady didn't keep them in for long and threw them out when they were weeks or maybe a month or two old at best. I doubt she has anything to prove she was ever their owner. People like that don't deserve to have pets because they either aren't responsible or don't want the responsibility and work a pet entails. She gave up her right as their owner long ago.

I was informed by one of the teenage girls that Tiger was taken by this lady and dropped on a farm and I don't doubt the same was done with Midnight. I've been depressed, I've lost sleep and have had nightmares about it since he went missing. Worrying that he is alright and nothing bad has happened to him. I suffer from anxiety and depression, he was one of my major stress relievers and now with him gone I feel so lost and empty. A big part of me was taken from me. They are like my children to me, the only children I'll likely ever have..

Why would someone without ulterior motives rip them from a loving, caring home to take them and drop them somewhere? If they were chipped I'd be afraid of what I'd find when I found them. How about not taking cats they have no business taking, cats that don't belong to them and dropping them where they please? She certainly knew that Midnight had a caretaker and I loved him, Midnight would only follow me around and only come to me when I called him. Maybe this is fueled by possessiveness and jealousy as well as the dispute between my parents and neighbors after my parents were scammed out of money. This lady lives next door to and is friends with those neighbors, with how Midnight came up missing at this time is highly suspect on it's own without other evidence. 

Last edited:

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Case closed. Whoever had him or took him let him out or brought him back. After a week MIA he finally turned up at my door safe and sound without a scratch on him. I am so happy that it doesn't shame me (very much) to say that I cried some tears that not only are my worries over for now but seeing him again. He is like a child to me and it's like being reunited with a lost child. It's an overwhelming sense of relief. I will be doing everything within my power to keep him inside from now on. I will see about getting him in asap to be neutered and possibly chipped, buy a collar and tag for him.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news.

Yes, please get him neutered and chipped. He'll be less likely to wander off and get in trouble that way. Some people have trained their cats to walk on a harness, maybe you could try that too? Then he can get some fresh air and you won't have to worry about him.

Give him a hug from me.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That's great news.

Yes, please get him neutered and chipped. He'll be less likely to wander off and get in trouble that way. Some people have trained their cats to walk on a harness, maybe you could try that too? Then he can get some fresh air and you won't have to worry about him.

Give him a hug from me.

:D

Will do. When he showed up he was hungry. Wherever he was he wasn't being fed or fed proper almost like when I first took him and his brother in. Gave them all soft food to celebrate and so he could eat a lil something he was used to. Either he got back out on his own or whoever had him let him out or realized what they done and that he had a loving home. I also have to wonder if maybe he was dropped somewhere and found his way back home. It's not like I'll find out unless someday cats learn how to speak "human" to communicate with us lol. All I can do is do whatever to keep him in and take precautions like get him chipped or tagged to locate him if he goes missing again which I hope doesn't happen.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i'm so glad to hear that he made it home safely. Yes. Neutering him will help to keep him at home where he belongs. They make tags that are also GPS devices that you can link to a smartphone. I ordered these for my cats  https://www.thetrackr.com/bravo  I got them engraved with their names and my phone number and they sell accessory packs so you can attach the device to your cat's collar and it will be waterproof. It is compatible with IOS and Android. 

Give Midnight a homecoming hug for me too. I'm so glad he's OK. 

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing is what if someone did take him? What if they take him again and take the collar off? Then a gps tag would be useless. I don't really know where he went and how he got back. The lady I thought took him wasn't home after 1AM this morning when I went to bed and she wasn't there this morning around 5:30AM when I woke up and Midnight was at my door. Unless she came home when I was asleep and Midnight ran out. I did see what looked like a medium hair cat that looked like him around the corner and up the road. He wouldn't have wandered out of the park and wandered that far on his own. I have to wonder if maybe that was him and he picked up my scent when we were riding down the road, found his way back home. If so I'm glad he didn't get hit by any vehicles. If that was him up the road it only took him about five days to find his way back.

I want to get him in for a checkup. He looks like he lost a bit of weight and want to make sure everything especially his kidneys are fine. He has a tick on him so I have to figure out how to remove that. I don't have a pair of tweezers on hand to remove ticks but will pick some up when I go shopping. When one of the other cats got a tick on him I had to try using a pair of needle nose pliers after heating the tip to remove the tick but it tick was quite stubborn to remove.

Thanks and I will give him plenty of hugs. This is such a huge weight off my shoulders. After a week he knew right where to go and came back home. That's how I know he bonded with me, took me as his owner and made this his home. I got lots of headbuts, nuzzles and cuddles. He also started licking my face, the only cat that has ever done that besides his brother Tiger. When he licks my face it's as if he's giving me kisses but this behaviour is apparently referred to as grooming. Grooming, kisses it's all the same thing to me. :)

Last edited:

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
with him being an intact male, he was probably off wooing the ladies and making babies. please don't let him out until he is fixed.and get that chip so you can prove he's yours if someone really did take him. i'm really happy that he came home!!

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what my mother said however he's been mature enough to go into heat for over a few months now. None of the cats inside the park ever wander outside the park and he certainly wouldn't have been up the road that far away unless someone took him and dropped him. He's always came back and I started noticing recently he smelled of perfume when he came back. He would be missing for the night and maybe part of the day but never for an entire day or a week. Something was going on. I didn't have any documents or anything else for proof but I did have quite a few pictures of him going back to last year which I believe to be more than their original owner had since she was so quick to throw them out and abandon them.

Last edited:

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight managed to slip out one more time and went missing for a week again. Quite suspiciously both times he's returned was right after calling out the sociopathic deadbeat neighbor that scammed my parents on FB. Now that I have a good idea of what's going on and don't put anything past this neighbor up to harming the cats I've been very vigilant with trying to keep Midnight and the other cats indoors. He's managed to slip by me twice more but I chased him down and grabbed him, brought him back inside.

I always look to see where they are but they are so fast. My place isn't that big so it doesn't take them more than a couple seconds to make it to each door to run out. I only have a couple rooms with doors on them, my bedroom and the bathroom. There's only so much I can do and they will get out, just no way to stop them all the time so I keep an eye out and let them in when they return. The socialized ferals will run from me outside so there's no chasing them to get them back inside. I try to shoo them from the door but that doesn't work like it used to. At least four of them are spayed/neutered now and all of them would've been if the SPCA was a bit faster with getting ferals in to their barn cat clinic. I will be paying full price for Midnight and my other cat Paully. Taking Midnight in next month to get him done asap. I will have paperwork for my records proving he belongs to me so this lady that originally owned him can't try to claim him back.

Something that grinds my gears though is the local SPCA doesn't do much. They don't seem to care outside their animal neglect and adoption, success stories. Little to no help with food to assist with caring for ferals. Slow to obtain openings under the discount barn cat clinics for TNR & rescues. Don't think they offer any kind of financial assistance for emergency vet care. Don't have information on hand you'd expect for an organization that deals with animal welfare. I asked about a gps microchip for my cat and was told they didn't know of anyone that does that around here. Volunteers don't seem the friendliest and when I bring a cat in to be spayed/neutered the lady directly told me they don't want to hear anything about the animal. They just want to take them, get them in and out. Even when there was no one else waiting at the time.

The only place I can think of that might be more helpful is the humane society but that is a forty minute to an hour drive. I don't drive, I live in a rural area so I have to rely on cabs or my father dropping me off in the city around ten or fifteen minutes away. No way I would be able to take a cab that far to the humane society and my dad can't take me there..

That's not the reason I'm reviving this. Since these neighbors can't get to Midnight and use him as leverage or to retaliate against us one of the socialized ferals, the one that is most calm and trusting has been missing a couple days now.  He's usually here every day with the rest, no sign of him just like with Midnight. He vanished just like Midnight and hasn't been seen strolling around or near my place. I've called him, walked around outside calling him and nothing.

I'm really thinking about setting up those I suspect are doing it because I need some kind of proof to use. My choices here are to get each cat tagged with gps and monitoring their travels or setting bait for these neighbors I'm suspecting and wait somewhere they can't see me. The latter is the only option I can think to do since I don't know anywhere as of yet to tag them with gps or how much that will cost when I find a place to do it. This is one cat I can't keep inside, he comes in to eat and rest a bit but has to go back outside because he does not use the litter box.

Midnight on the other hand has been more than a handful. He has been constantly crying to show his displeasure, he has a hideous ear-bleeding cry like a dying sick cat and he does it constantly. Nothing wrong with him, that's his normal cry he's always done and now he does it with howling/yowling. He is not happy with being house bound one bit, this is a cat that has been free and roaming outside since he was a kitten. He is also being very persistent not only with  the crying but harassing me. He is all over me like glue and even when I'm trying to sleep. They've figure how to open my door so there's not much I can to to keep him out. If he can't get in he constantly wiggles my door trying to get it open, will sit outside my door crying/yowling. When he gets in he wants to be on me, will walk all over me and cry/yowl. He is being a royal pita and me trying not to give in no matter how it gets on my nerves and want peace and quiet for a bit. :/

Please.. help me lol. 

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and Midnight does not understand the word "NO" or respond to any kind of discipline. I know cats are difficult but I've never seen a cat as stubborn, difficult and persistent as he is. I'm not sure what to do about this cat that just came up missing. It's not like those I suspect will say anything and the sociopath is a pathological or habitual/compulsive liar so he's not going to talk nor is the lady he is currently manipulating to believe his bull. 

If I can get some proof that should end this since they would cease to do anything as they would be prime suspects in the future should anything happen with the cats. I need proof and to catch them in any lies. Probably sounds simpler than it is. I wouldn't be saying all this without a concrete idea of what's going on but need proof to take any further action. 

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is he still missing right now? I think this is getting out of hand with the neighbors and such. I think if you continue to accuse them, no matter if they are as bad as you say, you're going to make it worse. I hope and pray they do not set poison out. If I were you a little apologizing might smooth things over. I don't know.  I think that when Midnight comes home by all means keep him locked in your bedroom, it might not be well but its better than him getting out or hurt. I'd also like to say that I know you stated you were in a rural area, might there be coyotes out there that might prey on the cats? Possibly larger hunting dogs or neighborhood dogs? Discipline will never work for a cat, a cat's mind doesn't work that way. If by any chance, can you afford to fix them yourself without help from the SPCA, as its kitten season, I'm sure they are incredibly busy. Also since he is an outdoor cat whom is un-neutered I wouldn't surprised if he does show up at another house, with lady cats there. I've heard of a cat to patrol a 5 mile area in search of females. I, myself have found several males show up at my house for other cat companions and I've had them neutered and they hang around. I hope he comes back safe and sound. Another thing to add, I am trying to not sound insensitive but he is an outdoor cat, which is why you took him in and now he is out, I know you stated it was an accident but wasn't him being outside what prompted you to take him in? Maybe another kind neighbor thought him to be homeless and he's done that same to them? Its certainly something to think about.

I have had a feral cat be gone for 8 months and suddenly, one day he showed up. I was very happy to see him some do tend to just  travel.

Last edited:

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight isn't missing anymore, another cat is. I haven't accused them on this cat, only with Midnight. It's only an unfounded suspicion they may have taken this cat now.  I'm sure these neighbors are responsible for Midnight, there are pieces of evidence leaning that way but I haven't got hard proof yet. They can't get to Midnight since I've kept him inside, I suspect another cat has came up missing instead because of this. Yes it's out of hand these neighbors would do such vile things especially when the matter between my parents and them doesn't involve me. I wouldn't be accusing them without some form of evidence or reasonable doubt and suspicion. It's just not enough yet to directly confront them or get law enforcement involved. I need evidence either on video or eyewitness proof they are taking him/them, some other proof showing where he/they are going. I have every reason to suspect the neighbors next to my parents. Btw I live right near my parents and their neigbors. My home is directly behind my parents place and the neighbors next to my parents.

There are coyotes and foxes in the area but the cats have never been bothered. I don't think the cats wander that far and the coyotes/foxes don't come that close to the park to be any threat. It's just one cat out of a few dozen or more. I was afraid that happened to Midnight but he came back without a scratch.

The reason I suspect the neighbors is because neither Midnight or any of the cats came up missing until the dispute with the neighbors. The lady that originally owned Midnight and his brother Tiger is friends with the deadbeat sociopath and his wife. They have her snowed and believing them and spreading nonsense about other neighbors which btw he screwed out of money and other possessions. There's also the fact Tiger came up missing last year and I was recently tipped off by another neighbor that she took Tiger and dropped him on some farm in a village near where I live. That's why I suspect her and my parents neighbors. She had already given up her right to these cats and that was before she gave them to other tenants in the park. I don't doubt one bit my parents neighbors are responsible or collaborating with the lady that used to own them. I noticed a couple times before Midnight came back smelling of perfume and smelled like this lady's house smells. The last time Midnight returned he was barely wet and it was pouring rain out that day for most of the day. If he was outside all that time he barely had a scratch on him or any other indication he was outside all that time. 

So yes, there's some evidence there either my parents neighbors  or the lady that originally owned them are responsible. Since they can't use Midnight as leverage or to retaliate I suspect they're using another cat of mine now. They don't want me to say anything and it get around what they are doing. The timing of it all, when he started coming up missing and how he returned when calling these neighbors out on FB is very suspicious. There's no way to get proof I could use to confront them or call law enforcement short of standing by to watch or gps tagging to track the path of their travels.

I could shut Midnight in my room but I'd only do that if I am leaving the house for a few minutes. I don't want to keep him trapped in there because he would need to eat/drink and use the cat box. I am not about to put all that in my bedroom nor do I have the room to in there. I can't throw every single cat in a room and shut a door. There's no place to put them all and it's tedious to do that every single time I go out, sometimes I'm in/out the door frequently. I've been keeping Midnight inside and if he does manage to slip by out of surprise I chase him and bring him back in. I've accepted there's simply no keeping the once feral cats inside and they'll get out when that door opens up. I try to keep an eye out and tabs on them. I'll get them all back in if I can before going to bed and keep them in until late morning limiting their time spend outdoors. Midnight is more harassing and vocal about going outside than the once feral cats are.

When I mentioned discipline I don't mean anything physical. I'm referring to suggested non-abusive discipline. Ranging from telling them no with varying tones of voice, putting down if they are where they don't belong, shaking a can of loose change. I'm not sure what to do here and make him calm down, get the hint.

Apologize to him? I've found talking to these types just do not work. They are uncaring, unemotional and lack morals, empathy and respect. Anything said passes over their head and wastes time. Any sincere talks has no impact on them, believe me I already tried. Why would I be the one to apologize? It should be the other way around not only for this but to all those he's used, scammed including my parents since we are the victims. He turns it around on us to use anything he can or accuse us to justify his actions, ease his guilt and come out looking innocent. He reverses the roles to look like the innocent being wronged, the victims are the perps and retaliates in response to the outrage and reactions from his victims he himself has caused. :/

This might not stop happening unless I can keep all cats inside all the time or have valid proof to confront them and involve law enforcement. I'm sorry for bringing this issue/drama here but feel it's relevant to mention with cats and more specifically only my cats going missing at this time with this going on. Yes, I don't trust this guy and I don't put it past him that he could poison the cats which is why I watch out and try to keep a close eye when they get outside. I've had to keep an eye on my parents place for fear he would retaliate and try to do something to them, their vehicles or anything sitting in their yard. I'm personally not scared of this guy, though it worries me when I read up on what they are capable of. 

Anyways after all this I need to get my head back on straight. I've not slept well and have a headache today, my anxiety is up a bit. None of that means this is any less valid.  

I posted here because I'm not sure how to handle the issue with the neighbors. Even if I get proof and involve law enforcement there's no guarantee it would stop and could provoke matters further. I don't know how to make Midnight calm down and leave me alone. Especially when I'm trying to sleep when he is being harassing, loud and persistent. I got to keep them in for their own good but that's extremely difficult or impossible to do and only stress myself out with worry.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be getting Midnight and my other cat neutered at full price. I'm utilizing the SPCA for TNR of ferals to reduce costs as paying full price would run into somewhat of a fortune and I'm the only one doing this. There is no evidence of Midnight being outside for a prolonged period or him going far. Cats are generally confined to the park and don't wander very far and there's females inside the park. I've yet to see one cat go outside the park. He's been mature enough to go tomming for a while. I just didn't know what options were available to get them fixed and have to rely on my parents or pay neighbors to transport me to the vet and spay/neuter clinics.

As I said it's unlikely anyone else took him. They don't wander far, at least every time I've kept tabs on where they've gone. Anyone that would interact with them  is limited and even less with any interest in cats. They never went missing before and started happening the same time this bologna with my parents neighbor surfaced. Right after my parents started pressuring him about the money he scammed them out of Midnight started coming up missing. He would return quite suspiciously almost on the very same day if not the same day when I called these neighbors out on my FB page. A few hours after I called them out the last time Midnight suddenly showed up. It seems as if they're using the cats to manipulate me into staying hush hush so what they are doing doesn't spread around.

The cats that are going missing are the ones that are more calm, trusting. None of the other ferals that are still skittish, afraid of other people have came up missing. Midnight would probably go to anyone that called him or lured him with some food, the other cat wouldn't be hard to catch either. I'm looking into getting collars to put on them with tags but want some kind of gps microchip that can't be removed. If someone is taking them as I thought and gps is in the collar all they need to do is remove the collar and toss it to render it useless. The gps would give a definitive idea where they are going if I don't see with my own eyes.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know for certain with this other cat. As I said it's suspicious, nothing concrete just because of the circumstances with how Midnight disappeared and when he started disappearing. The recent missing cat isn't so much relevant as the stress, lack of sleep I am going through with Midnight trying to keep him inside. I know, there's really no way I can explain it in words to outline what I am going through with this annoying bugger. If I can get a video that should show the torture I am going through lol.

Maybe that's why my head hurts besides that I may need glasses.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What prompted me to take Midnight in?

Well lets see.. Midnight and his brother Tiger were tossed outside and forgotten by their original owner, this lady I currently suspect was taking him. They were outside without any food, water as far as I could tell. She never let them inside, they were outside 24/7. They were nearly hit by vehicles and that's when a social worker wrote the lady a note warning her to take her cats in or she'd be taking them to a shelter. The lady that owned them gave them to two tenants that eventually didn't want them anymore or couldn't keep them and were left outside again. They were also underweight so they weren't eating very much if at all, they weren't eating proper like they should for growing kittens before I took them.

I took them in to give them a home. I had cat food, supplies to care for them. I litter trained them, bonded with them and they claimed me as their own. I had contact with them when they were kittens while they were growing because they would come over to my parents to eat and wanted attention, they've bonded with me since over the months. They want my constant undivided attention, especially Midnight. He wasn't so much attention for me, he is very persistent and harassing. I get constant head butts from him, he nuzzles my face, sleeps on my chests, cuddles on me or snuggled close to me and licks/grooms my face. He wants to be with me, either by me or on  me in my arms. He is friendly with other people but not as affectionate as he is with me. I am his everything.

It's just stressful with how much maintenance and attention he requires, what he does when he doesn't get his way. While he does get outside on his own I don't deny maybe I nudged him out the door a bit briefly just to be able to have a bit of of peace and quiet and do something without a cat perpetually attached to me or annoying me. It's the only way I could get stuff done interrupted otherwise I have a cat glued to me or harassing me to go outside, constant nonstop meowing or yowling that sounds like a banshee or sick dying cat. The longer he's inside the more persistent, harassing and louder he gets it seems. I don't know what to do, at my wits end but I love the lil' guy and don't want anything to happen to him or to lose him. I wish cats could understand, understand us that it's for their own good. I went through nights losing sleep, being worried sick, my anxiety was up and had nighmares that something horrible happened. I wish he could sense that and would understand.

I think with all that's happened to him he has anxiety and is overly attached or clingy. I just want him to calm down and nothing I can think of has worked.

As I said please.. help me. :/

As I stated previously I found out this lady took TIger from me on dropped him on a farm nearby because a farmer needed barn cats. That's why I currently suspect this lady along with collaboration with the neighbor next to my parents are responsible for Midnight, other cats going missing. There are bits and pieces of evidence put together to support this and suspicions I've drawn a conclusion from. The way she acted when I asked her if she seen Midnight before he came back the last time made me suspect as well as a screen on her window being bent outwards at the corner like an animal pushed through to escape. There's not enough for law enforcement to go on and take any action nor for me to confront them yet.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any cat that is sexually active this time of year is going to be difficult while kept inside.  They do this so you will throw them outside.  Its rutting season.  His anxiety is all because of hormones.  This will stop six weeks or so after neutering.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this really is a mess. I'm very sorry about this but I don't know how you'll actually sort it out. I do agree with Dandila, he won't let up until after he is neutered and after about a month or so at least until the hormones settle down. Do you have tags on the friendly cats? I doubt the neighbors will bother with the ferals if they're true ferals as they cannot be handled. Another thing, if the other cats do go over to her property, there really isn't much you can do about it. Sometimes, I have found that to be the bigger person, you do have to step up and apologize. I don't know if it'll be the best in this case, but it certainly cannot hurt.

Another thing, it will be a little hard to adapt a cat that's always lived free into a indoor only kitty but it can be done. It will take patience and it will help to have plenty of toys, boxes and possibly a cat tree or desk that is his, that he can climb on. I would like to ask, besides Midnight, how many kitties do you have inside?

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other cat came back. They are going somewhere, just not sure where yet. Thinking of following them or standing out of view somewhere to watch where they go. When the other cat that went missing came back today he was barely wet and it had been raining. He had barely a scratch on him and doesn't look like he was hungry. I'm wondering if someone is taking them now thinking they are strays - at least with the one that recently went missing and came back. I'm looking into getting collars but I'm not so sure how I would manage that since most of these were ferals and don't think they are going to let me put a collar on them.

Midnight has been torture on me. He won't shut up and his cry/yowl is unlike any other cat I've heard. He sounds like a sick, dying cat or wailing banshee. I'm not sure how to describe it other than horrid. He's fine and always had that cry but now it's much worse since he's doing constantly and wailing with that god awful mating yowl. He'll walk all over me when sleeping while doing that or walk around my bedroom doing that. If I shut him out of my room he'll paw at the door and knock bang the door and sit outside my door howling away.

I can shut him up for a while with some canned food and if I'm lucky he'll go to sleep. I can shut him up if I pay attention to him and let him lie on me but I have things to do and seems he wants my attention 24/7. He is an overly attached, high maintenance cat and think it has a lot to do with what he's went through. He has anxiety due to that plus the added stress and anxiety of his hormones. He's being very persistent, harassing with making a lot of noise, being all over me or my desk and computer.

I haven't given in yet and it's been over a week now. I'm going to see what my finances look like and schedule an appointment to get him neutered. SPCA will do it for $50 with shots and unlike their barn cat clinic if I pay full price I'll be able to get him right in. I can't go on like this much longer and I can't let him get outside for fear he'll go missing again and next time might be gone for good. I've had to chase after him three or four times now because he slipped out the door when I opened it. I've had such a wicked headache and have not slept well.

I wish the SPCA was more speedy with their discount clinic. Their tardiness and lack of openings make addressing feral colonies more complicated. You can never stay on top of it or get ahead. Had they been faster I could have had the feral/stray females in to get them spayed by now. Since I couldn't three females had another litter of kittens. SPCA has less openings for females than males and I've only been able to get two males done since January, two females under special circumstances making a total of four cats since January.

Trying to find where I can do the gps tag or microchip at. Thought the SPCA would know this or have such information on hand. They don't seem to be all that friendly or helpful at the local SPCA as I said. Humane society would probably be of more assistance but is too far away to utilize.

I'm highly considering recording a video and uploading it just to show what he does.