Mirtazapine?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Cerenia should be kicking her nausea, so that shouldn't be the problem.  Some drugs simply effect the appetite though.  It's certainly worth discussing a change of antibiotic.

From my experience,the Mirtazipine usually causes appetite increase almost immediately.  At least it did with Callie.  Have you tried warming Azzi's food, a DIFFERENT food (maybe baby food - meat only, no spices or anything) , using some toppers, like crushed treats, tuna water, a itte bit of parmesan cheese?  Maybe even just put a little bit on your finger and place it in her mouth to get her started?  At this point she NEEDS to be fed, nomatter how.  You  may need to start up syringe feeding.  Let us know if you  need some instructions on how to do that.

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is an old thread but wanted to say that my kitty who was (is?) having poop problems lost her appetite even after she got pooping kinda consistently again and the vet prescribed her mirtazapine (she lost 1/2lb in 2 weeks). It made her so hungry, even within an hour! Her mood seemed so much improved too! I think she's been depressed (since blood work and an xray came out clear) so the anti-depressive properties of the drug must have helped.  It's only taken every 3 days (in my case?). 

joselle515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find that breaking up the Mirtazipine to 1/8th tablet very difficult. I initially crushed it and mix with water but honestly, not sure how much of the medication she got.  I don't know why I can't crush the entire pill, dilute it with 2 mLs of water and calculate the dose. I called the vet's office and they said that we wouldn't know if she's getting the correct dose or any of the medication. Well the same holds true about silvering off 1/8th of a tablet. I'm a Physician Assistant and know that only tablets that are scored (1/2 or quarters) can we be certain of how much medication is being given.  So I did my method, after a long discussion with a doctor friend and she agreed with me. So I crushed and diluted and calculated. Next dose will be in liquid form. I'm suppose to give it every other day. Do you think there's any harm in dispensing it after 24 or 36 hrs?  And yes I have been syringe feeding her since yesterday. Today I'm giving her food (5-10cc) warm baby food, every 2-3 hrs. I don't want to push it. Normally she only eats 2-3 times daily.  

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know if once the Mirt is crushed if it will last more than 24 hours.  Maybe you can call a pharmacy and ask them? 

Is she keeping the food down?  Hopefully the Cerenia is doing it's job.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

NEVER GIVE THIS DRUG TO YOUR CATS! This drug is given by vets for use in cats as an appetite stimulant. Mine had a horrible experience after taking this drug. He was sedated so much from Mirtazapine I thought he was going to die. He was foaming at the mouth for hours and crying out every 10 seconds or so. He would stare into space for long periods of time. This went on all night and he is still crying this morning. His appetite is no better. I REPEAT, NEVER GIVE THIS DRUG TO CATS! It is not approved by the FDA for use in cats and is used as an "off label" medication. I was stupid for not looking this up before I gave it to my beloved kitty.
Joe, I understand how you feel.  My friend's cat developed pancreatitis and stopped eating.  He was given Mirtazapine 1/4 tablet every 72 hours and right now my friend is very scared.  Her cat was walking, stumbling around, howling, her pupils dialated and sometimes staring into space.  She is at the E-vet getting Cyrpohectadine to counteract this.  I hope her kitty will be okay.

Her vet did NOT tell her about any side effects.  And knew nothing about Serotonin Syndrome when she texted her vet and asked if her kitty got this.  Her vet has never had a cat react this way before.

I always say DO YOUR RESEARCH before giving any drug to a cat.  Then you can make the decision yourself if it's worth giving;. Trust, but verify.

She will never give this drug again.

Nalabear90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joe, I understand how you feel. My friend's cat developed pancreatitis and stopped eating. He was given Mirtazapine 1/4 tablet every 72 hours and right now my friend is very scared. Her cat was walking, stumbling around, howling, her pupils dialated and sometimes staring into space. She is at the E-vet getting Cyrpohectadine to counteract this. I hope her kitty will be okay.

Her vet did NOT tell her about any side effects. And knew nothing about Serotonin Syndrome when she texted her vet and asked if her kitty got this. Her vet has never had a cat react this way before.

I always say DO YOUR RESEARCH before giving any drug to a cat. Then you can make the decision yourself if it's worth giving;. Trust, but verify.

She will never give this drug again.

I started my cat on this yesterday and she is having the same reaction! I'm so worried! She still isn't eating or pooping, she's only 9 and has been happy and healthy.

Do you know what was wrong with your friends cat? I'm feeling so lost and I can't afford all the tests they want to run. I can't stop crying for my poor baby.

Nalabear90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started my cat on this medication yesterday and she is having the exact same reaction and still won't eat. I'm so lost and discouraged. I can't stop crying. They want to run tests on her but I can't afford it. I don't know what to do. My kitty is only 9 and had never had any health problems. I feel like the worst mommy.

Do you know what was wrong with your friends cat? I need guidance. Thank you.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What symptoms does your kitty have? My friend's cat had pancreatitis. He was hungry and sniffing his food but walking away without touching it. It was also painful for him to walk and he was going diarrhea. He was initially diagnosed with IBD but a year later the same symptoms returned and the vet then diagnosed him with pancreatitis through a blood test.

The vet put him on mirtazapine and he had a reaction to it so the vet put him on prednisolone and cerenia, which has helped tremendously.

You say your cat hasn't been pooping. What's going on? What's the back story?

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started my cat on this medication yesterday and she is having the exact same reaction and still won't eat. I'm so lost and discouraged. I can't stop crying. They want to run tests on her but I can't afford it. I don't know what to do. My kitty is only 9 and had never had any health problems. I feel like the worst mommy.

Do you know what was wrong with your friends cat? I need guidance. Thank you.
Tell the vet your kitty is reacting to it. Vet will most likely tell you to stop giving the drug and try something else.

My cat, Moses, was constipated and stopped eating. His urine was also turning an orange color and the first vet I took him to ignored the symptoms and told me my cat was fine. Two days later I rushed him to a different vet where he was diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis.

Can you borrow money from family or friends? Some vets let you make payments. Don't feel like a bad mom. ItS not your fault!

Nalabear90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What symptoms does your kitty have? My friend's cat had pancreatitis. He was hungry and sniffing his food but walking away without touching it. It was also painful for him to walk and he was going diarrhea. He was initially diagnosed with IBD but a year later the same symptoms returned and the vet then diagnosed him with pancreatitis through a blood test.

The vet put him on mirtazapine and he had a reaction to it so the vet put him on prednisolone and cerenia, which has helped tremendously.

You say your cat hasn't been pooping. What's going on? What's the back story?
She's been the happiest healthiest cat for 9 years. The last 2, she was staying at my bf 5br house and a month ago I moved her into my 2br apt. The first couple weeks she ingested done of my long hair and I noticed her skidding her butt on my carpet as well as find the hair when cleaning the litter box. For the last week, she hasn't pooped and barely touched her food. She acts interested and meows for it but sniffs and walks away. She squats down on all 4s looking at ground (in pain I imagine) and then the next minute she's walking up to us meowing and wanting attention but mostly she lays around looking so very miserable. Took her to vet yesterday, they said feline anorexia is so broad that testing would be necessary. He felt no obstructions in her intestines and nothing alarming from listening and feeling. I couldn't afford the tests so they sent me home with prescriptions for mirt, an antibiotic and pepcid. I gave her the mirt last night. She's not eating so I had to put it in her mouth. She came right into my room and tried to vomit and from there the poor thing was acting just as you described, clearly didn't help a thing. I don't want to give her antibiotic without food.

I reached out to family who will help me with vet bill. Taking her tomorrow. I can't lose my baby. I can't even eat myself because my heart aches and I have a huge pit in my stomach. I just don't understand the sudden change.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's been the happiest healthiest cat for 9 years. The last 2, she was staying at my bf 5br house and a month ago I moved her into my 2br apt. The first couple weeks she ingested done of my long hair and I noticed her skidding her butt on my carpet as well as find the hair when cleaning the litter box. For the last week, she hasn't pooped and barely touched her food. She acts interested and meows for it but sniffs and walks away. She squats down on all 4s looking at ground (in pain I imagine) and then the next minute she's walking up to us meowing and wanting attention but mostly she lays around looking so very miserable. Took her to vet yesterday, they said feline anorexia is so broad that testing would be necessary. He felt no obstructions in her intestines and nothing alarming from listening and feeling. I couldn't afford the tests so they sent me home with prescriptions for mirt, an antibiotic and pepcid. I gave her the mirt last night. She's not eating so I had to put it in her mouth. She came right into my room and tried to vomit and from there the poor thing was acting just as you described, clearly didn't help a thing. I don't want to give her antibiotic without food.

I reached out to family who will help me with vet bill. Taking her tomorrow. I can't lose my baby. I can't even eat myself because my heart aches and I have a huge pit in my stomach. I just don't understand the sudden change.
Sounds like it could possibly be pancreatitis so I'm very happy she's going back to the vet today! The crouching could mean she's hurting. She may not be pooping because she's not eating.

Your vet will probably switch to a different appetite stimulant. My friends cat is now on Cyproheptadine (Cypro)and is doing very well!! He is also on prednisolone and Cerenia.

Cats get very stressed when you make a lifestyle change. You moved last month and that most likely upset her, which may have triggered her illness. What kind of food is she eating? I'd get her off dry food ASAP and give low-carb canned.

Good luck today and I'll be sending heartfelt prayers to your kitty. Let me know what they find out!

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found b-12 way better for appetite stimulation--another great thing---Pepcid AC. Speak to your vet about using Pepcid AC----cats in renal failure have specific needs and I think they can use it, but I'm not a vet. It halts the production of acid in the stomach, which can cause nausea/vomiting. Hugs to your kitty!!! And you!! Make sure kitty has had sub-cue fluids as well and cerenia. I'm not a fan of martizpane---but that was for my kitties specific needs. They did not have kidney issues. Hugs!!

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (Gabby) is 20 years old, and her kidneys are beginning to fail (vet said kidneys functioning at 25 % ).... prescribed mirtazapine for improving appetite.... it did so initially, but also made her act so strange..... very hyperactive after receiving dose, and yowling in a deep voice. She did not seem comfortable.... she did seem a bit dizzy or disoriented. It has been 3 days, and she is due for another dose.....(taking her to get hydrated tomorrow).....scared to give it to her, because she hasn't touched much food at all in the last few days.(and not sure if the drug would be stronger on that "empty stomach"),,,, anyway, learning about this .....

joselle515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would stay away from the mirtz and try the other med. I agree with others to use the Cerenia (awesome for nausea) and Pepcid AC. I was giving my Azzi 1/4 tablet (Pepcid) wrapped in 1/2 pill pocket. I give her 100cc of SubQ lactated ringers every day. Her last kidney function shows her function is now better than it was last year, 2.7 vs 2.8. I know it's a slight difference but she is even acting like her old self, goes down 3 flights of stairs to get to the back yard, cleaning herself something she stopped doing a few months ago, lets me know when she is hungry or wants loving. About the feeding, you can try syringing her baby food, get her chicken liver and chop it up. Whatever she will eat, let her. My Azzi is now 18 yrs 4 months and counting.

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I like your advice ! I just notice what mirtz does to her, and do not want her to spend her latter years in a miserable "drugged" state.

joselle515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's Gabby's Cr? You should learn to do fluids at home, it's really easy. I wrap my Azzi up in a blanket and have a love session with her so that's what she associates it with. Have your doctor give you a prescription for the fluids and buy a case of it at a time. I get it at Costco. Let know if you need more info.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NEVER GIVE THIS DRUG TO YOUR CATS! This drug is given by vets for use in cats as an appetite stimulant. Mine had a horrible experience after taking this drug. He was sedated so much from Mirtazapine I thought he was going to die. He was foaming at the mouth for hours and crying out every 10 seconds or so. He would stare into space for long periods of time. This went on all night and he is still crying this morning. His appetite is no better. I REPEAT, NEVER GIVE THIS DRUG TO CATS! It is not approved by the FDA for use in cats and is used as an "off label" medication. I was stupid for not looking this up before I gave it to my beloved kitty.
This reaction is rare. I've only seen it once in the last 9 years. Please don't discourage the use of a drug that may help other cats. It is actually an anti-depressant called Remeron which someone mentioned so a cat may become more excitable or vocal but this reaction is rare. Any cat can react to any drug so to tell someone to never use a drug is irresponsible and presumptuous. I'm sorry your cat reacted to it but it does help many other cats.

jewel4love

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize this thread is old but I want to get my experience out there. I have a 14 year old cat that is only 5.8lbs. She was the runt of her litter. She had an ear infection. Washing out her ears and the thick slow releasing ointment they put in her ears made her equilibrium off so she would fall over if she turned a corner or moved too fast. I went to the vet as soon as that started and asked about an appetite stimulant and they gave me mirtazapine. I gave her 1/4 of a pill as instructed. Within an hour she was crying out. Then she began to wobble around and still wouldn't eat. I thought the wobble was from her equilibrium off. After 48 hours I gave her another one because she was still not eating. We went to the ER vet yesterday. She is crying, so wobbly and stoned she can hardly walk, restless, agitated. I am scared to death. If I had realized it was the drug, I would have never given her the second dose. The ER vet said it should be well on its way to out of her system in 72 hours. I am wondering if the effect was worse because of her age and the fact that she is so small. We are syring feeding her because we cannot afford to lose any weight. I am so scared right now! I feel like a horrible mom. I am so scared she will not recover. She was perfectly fine before the ear cleaning and ointment. She was eating fine but acting like she wasn't feeling well and scratching her ears. Hopefully I have not killed my baby! Just wanted everyone to know that a bad reaction can exist. Just be cautious and watch for the signs. I was clueless!

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh...Keep feeding her until the drug is out of her system. Hang in there and keep us updated!