Minor circumstances - in need of opinions (or reassurance?)

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so today presented a couple... not really 'issues - more like situations that I have been contemplating and I am curious as to what some of you might do in my position. None are life-threatening; just little differences in the 'normal' routine around here.

1. They Boys recieved treat dispensers for Christmas and they love them. However, my daughter's roommate and 3 yr old daughter joined us here for Christmas and the Boys were given more than their usual dose of treats. (I noticed too late that the 3 yr old had been doling out treats while sitting behind the arm chair - my mistake).  Late last night I was alerted to a heavy green fog eminating down the hall from the bathroom, followed closely by a slinking Keeker. I went to investigate and found a moderate pile of poop in the litter box that was slightly unformed (unlike his normal firm logs - more like soft-serve ice cream), completely unburied, and smelled like 3 day old rancid road kill!  No changes in his behavior, food or water intake, activity or anything else. Just one helluva wretched poop! This morning, he one more episode - not quite as large - but still stank to high heaven and left unburied. He left the box immediately after he made his deposit. I assume he was trying to escape the green fog before it got him!

Since then, he has had one 'normal' poop with no odor and he buried it. YAY! Dare I assume he was just affected by the extra treats and keep an eye on him? 

2. The Boys share a covered litter box (their preference to share since they were babies, as extra boxes have been totally ignored and sat completely unused for a few weeks before I put them in storage). Keep in mind they each weigh approximately 15 pounds and are no longer little kittens. I noticed Keeker has been entering the box, turning around inside and then squatting with his head outside the door. Bingo! I am thinkingthat maybe they are too darn big for a covered box, so I removed the lid today. My only issue now is that when I walk into the bathroom, I feel like I am at the beach! Litter is everywhere! I have a fairly small area in which I can keep their box, but I am going to have to come up with an ingenius idea as to how to keep the box open, yet keep the litter in the box! Any ideas? (It sits perfectly between my vanity and the bathtub and I don't want to move it to the bedroom or elsewhere because I prefer to keep it on a hard surfaced floor raher than carpet for easier clean-up).

3. A few weeks ago I was in the bathroom and Keeker came in to join me in our 'morning ritual'. While he was in the box doing his thing, Kricket came flying in in a panic and attempted to hop in the litter box but, of course, it was occupied. He backed up after getting a paw to his face. Frantic, he looked at me, looked at his occupied box, made a second attempt to squeeze in with Keeker and after a second swipe to the face and a bold, "Can't you see I'm IN here?", immediately jumped into the bathtub, scratched a couple times and peed his brain out! Then he looked at me and said, "What else was I supposed to do, Mom? I HAD to go!".  That was 3 weeks ago and today, while Keeker was creating his 'green fog', it happened again. Kricket needed the box and was rebuked, so he peed in the tub! I immediately cleaned and sanitzed it after he left the room - didn't not disipline him because I didn't feel it was done out of malice, but more of necessity. Not to mention, I was grateful he didn't use the throw rug  to pee on! He has used the litter box twice since then and things have returned to 'normal' once again.

So, I am not one to panick and whisk them off to the doctor as I truly don't believe any of the circumstances warrant a visit to the vet, but what would any of you do in similar situations?

a.)I am contributing the ghastly poops to over-indulging on treats and since things seem to have reestablished themselves, I will just observe over the next 24 hours. 
b.)The too-small litter box is something I will have to consider in more depth. The lid is going to have to go because it truly is too confining for them and I don't want any bad habits to develop because of it. But what am I going to do to retain the litter when I don't have room for a feasible option? Unless someone out there comes up with a miracle solution, I am at a loss and fear I am going to be wearing out my broom and dust pan on a regular basis because they both sling litter like all their 9 lives depend on it! (That was the original purpose of the covered box).

c.)Kricket peeing in the tub isn't much of an issue with me at the moment. As I said, it has only happened twice in the last 3 weeks and neither time was done with malice. He is continuing to use his now uncovered box with no problem, so I don't believe his behavior was triggered by a medical condition or anything other than desperate measures in a time of need. 

I have probably answered my own questions here, but I would like to hear what you think of the mentioned situations. Note: Both are neutered males, 20 months old, raised together since they were 6 weeks, no changes in food & water habits, personalities, activity or alertness, or other behavioral changes.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all your conclusions though I do have a question. When you say "green fog" you don't mean that literally do you? Because I would be extremely alarmed if emerald tendrils of mist emerged from the bathroom and would probably first call in a Biohazard emergency to 911 and then race Keeker to the vet! [emoji]128512[/emoji]

As far as the litter box issue, I have the same problem with Paul. Although I have the largest covered box I could find, he still was very cramped since he weighs 18 pounds. I also took off the lid and now resign myself to sweeping up after him, although he is not too bad about that. I once bought a mat to catch the litter but it confused my boys at the time and they urinated on it so I haven't tried that yet. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

About peeing in the bathtub, I remember your post the first time it happened and laughing at the funny way you reported it. I wouldn't worry about that. Kricket only went in the tub because the box was occupied. I had a similar episode with Chula and Paul that ended with a neat pile of poop in front of the box covered neatly with litter Paul had dragged out. It hasn't happened again.

Hugs to Keeker and Kricket. They are such cuties. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's time for a 2nd box in another part of the house. 

I don't have any discrete places in my house so I have a covered bench w/a litter box inside.  It's not really big enough but they seem to like it. I also have a smart cat litter box in a bathroom that can only be used once because of the dimensions.  It is tall enough but not much maneuvering room.  My favorite is this box I found at Overstock.com, also sold many other places.  http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppli...e/6291876/product.html?TID=QV2:VIEWALLDETAILS There are 2 sizes and I got the larger one. It is 36 inches long and 20 inches wide and about 2 feet tall.  I was able to fit the largest box inside it.  I'm not sure about the ventilation so I leave the lid off.  It serves as a scratching post and so does the box.  I have a large litter box in my son's room that is not covered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Just after my original post, Keeker went to the litter box and dropped another soft formed stool that penetrated the atmosphere (Margd, the 'green fog' was not chemically toxic, LOL but the odor could peel the paint off the walls!). When he walked past me his tail was raised and I noticed 'something' on his 'little pink tail light' so I grabbed a flashlight and discovered it was a spot of frank blood. NOT a good sign! I immediately called my sister and while she was on her way over I grabbed the crate, a jacket, my purse, keys,and cell phone and then grabbed Kricket's harness and leash and hooked him up. During this time Keeker went back to the litter box again and just scratched but didn't do anything, then he walked between my feet and was letting out a mournful cry!

I tossed a towel, his stuffed mouse and him in the crate and slung my purse over my left shoulder, Kricket over my right shoulder (he wasn't in much of a hurry so I had to carry him), crate in my left hand, keys in my right... down the hall to the elevator, out to the car and just as I got the crate seatbelted in, my sister pulled up. (I looked like I was running away from home!) As I am headed for the highway I called the Vet's office and gave them a report and ETA.  Regular office hours ended at 9:00PM and it was already 8:00 and I had a 30 minute drive across the state line.  When I got on the entrance ramp to the highway I looked at my sister and said, "Hold on to your hat and don't stand up!" and off we went! My sister sat in the back seat next to Keeker in the crate, and Kricket, still in his harness and leash, was already curled on her lap enjoying the belly rubs and attention. 

Got to the Vet's at 8:17! I cut the drive by 13 minutes. Thankfully, there was only one other patient there and they were being seen by the other doc, so we went right back to the exam room. *sigh*  Temp within normal limits, respirations and heart rate slightly elevated (due to stress of crating and car ride). No masses felt or signs of pain on palpatation of abdomen. Bowel sounds positive and mildly hyper. Gums pink and moist, good skin turgor. Obtained a stool specimen - and immediately after Keeker had a small, slightly loose, semi-formed poop with a foul odor. Waited for results which came back negative for parasites, but had a very scant amount of frank blood. *sigh* Compared to his well check-up in August he had lost almost 1 pound! Weight 14.2 pounds! 

He was NOT a happy camper at the Vet's. Hissing and growling which he never did before.Kricket was wandering around the room checking things out and eventually hopped on the table and crawled into the crate and took a nap. I took him along 'just in case' Keeker might have something that could be passed to Kricket.

Diagnosis: Acute Colitis brought on by stress. We surmised that with all the holiday activity and people coming and going, kids playing with him (he's the one that hates to be touched) and being given a few too many treats he got his bowels in an uproar. Soooo.... because of the blood (unknown origin - probable intestinal irritation) he was put on Albon oral suspension for 10 days (pilling him is NOT an option as I am not suicidal) along with a probiotic for 7 days which will be sprinkled on his food. 

On our way home we ordered a pizza for delivery and it arrived 5 minutes after we got in the door. Since my sister was already here, I took advantage and had her hold Kricket while I gave him a 'man-scape' with the clipper. With his long hair and Keekers potential 'episodes' in the box, I didn't want to risk having to give a bath in the middle of the night on top of everything else! Both Boys got their nails trimmed too! I was surprised Keeker tolerated it as well as he did since he has been a PITA all evening... the poor baby!

I just gave his first does of Albon and he is now not a happy camper, but I am not bleeding either, so that's a point in my favor! LOL I can't help but wonder since stress initiated his syptoms, what the heck is double stressing him while giving his meds for the next 10 days going to for him? One of the major side effects is diarrhea... yippieeeee! However, as soon as he took the med, he went to eat a few bites and is now drinking water like a fish! My curiosity got the better of me so I smelled the Albon and it smelled like lemon! Of course, I had to taste it and it tasted just like lemon icing...VERY sweet! Why didn't they make it taste like chicken? Cat's don't like lemon! 

Oh well, such is life. I am grateful it wasn't something more serious and hope that he quickly recovers.

Both Boys are using the litter box with the lid removed, but there is litter everywhere. I'm going to scout around for a high-sided plastic tote/container that will fit in my space.

Handsome Kitty - They won't use a second box. I have tried that in the past, and I don't have room for a larger box. Just removing the lid allows them maneuverability and they are happy for the moment. Also, with the lid being removed and them having extra head room I don't think it will be an issue if they need to share the box at the same time. They have done that many times in the past before they got to be so huge. It was common for one to go to the box and the other to climb in right with him. I'll continue to keep an eye on them.

As far as Kricket going in the bathtub - that is the least of my worries. It's an easy clean-up and he's not peeing on the throw rug! 

Now, all I have to do is finish out his meds over the next 10 days without injury, monitor his bowel movements, water intake (which has never been a problem), watch for side-effects to the Albon, and sweep litter every day 10 times a day!

One good thing that came out of it all is that they each got a new toy! LOL (C'mon, Vet's don't hand out lollipops!).  I brought home two fecal loops used for stool collection! They were playing with one at the doctor's office and they loved it! Next time you go to the Vet's, ask for one! They are cool because they look like big plastic needles about 10 inches long with a large 'eye' at one end and a small 'eye' at the other end. I tied some hemp rope through one end and tied one of their new toys to it and now they have a new 'fishing' toy! 

If there are any changes, I will post another update. For now, send those good healing vibes our way. I am now breathing normally again!

New 'toy' - minus the added attachments:

View media item 319517

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Jeez, what an adventure! I really hope Keeker responds to the medication quickly. Hopefully as life returns to normal, that should help, too.

The new toys sound terrific! Next time we go to vet, I'll get some for Paul and Chula. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minor Update: It's 3:00 A.M. and I hear frantic scratching in the litter box! 

The Albon has entered his system 
 The Albon has exited his system! About 4 tablespoons of yellowish liquid poop (the Albon is lemon yellow in color), one of which didn't make it into the box...close, but not quite. He went to the kitchen right after and starting licking his (empty) wet food dish - uhmmm, wet food comes in the morning. Nope, wet food comes NOW! I gave him a tsp. of salmon pate and sprinkled a packet of probiotic on it and he scarfed it down like he hadn't eaten in a week! Then immediately went to the fountain and drank some more water! I replaced 1/4 cup water in the fountain that was filled 3 hours ago when we got home. I'm not sure if he is still trying to get the taste of the antibiotic out of his mouth from earlier, or if he knows he needs water? He has peed once so far - a small clump about the size of a walnut. Gave an additional tsp. of wet food and he finished it more slowly, drank a little more water and is now stretched out across the top of the dresser back in the dark bedroom. 

I am hoping the probiotic works quickly to clear up the liquid stool. One of the side effects is 'sudden diarrhea', but since he is drinking water very well and has eaten about an ounce of wet food, it's not concerning me at the moment. While he was on the dresser, I stroked his side a couple times and he didn't flinch and he let me rub under his chin a little and even raised his head for me so I could rub down his throat - something he never really likes much. I just think he is feeling a little crappy right now and I hope he gets some sleep. He hasn't napped at all since we got home and he had been up and pacing for a couple hours before we left for the vet. God, it is an awful feeling not being able to wave a magic wand and make him feel better! I want to go to bed, but I think I am going to stay up for a little while longer in case he doesn't tolerate the salmon very long. I know when I do go to bed I am going to be sleeping with one eye and one ear open!

Oops! I got distracted while reading up onn acute colitis, Albon, etc., etc., etc. It is now 4:15 in the morning and Keeker and Kricket are both crashed out in the bedroom. No more jaunts to the litter box, so I am hoping that the probiotic has kicked in and the little bit of salmon pate has curbed his appetite for the night. By the way, the doc said he could continue on his regular diet as tolerated. I will be monitoring him regarding appetite. One other thing I noticed that just came to mind is that he has not 'meowed' since we got home. Prior to going to the vet he had been 'whining' quite a bit. Please, let this just be a 24 hour bug and things look better tomorrow. 

Again, I will post an update when I have more information. 

Thanks to those of you who responded to my post. This is nerve racking since I have never really had a cat with a 'medical problem' before. My Mom's Himalayan had kidney issues 40 years ago and passed away from renal failure at less than a year old. And my daughter was never sick a day in her life! Good gracious! What a little loose poop can do to a Momma!

I am gonna go crawl in bed and read my book until I pass out. I need to focus on getting some sleep right now so I am prepared for what tommorrow brings. 

Good night, and Thank you for being here!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got about 5 hours of restless sleep. When I finally crawled in bed at 7:00 this morning, Keeker was curled up in a laundry basket that had clean blankets in it. 

There was 'could' have been two episodes of loose stool in the litter box, but it was hard to tell because he apparently stirred things up pretty well when covering it up. There WAS a fairly large amount of urine clumped in the front of the box, but I am really unable to determine if it was Keeker's or Kricket's as that is usually Kricket's MO to pee in the front of the box. There were no other clumps indicating urine to be found. So, while I am awake, I will have to monitor who goes into the bathroom today and track their results. 

Right now, Kricket is on the bed sleeping and Keeker is out in the living room playing alone with a toy. Good sign! Someone must have been feeling good last night because there were (as my Mom always called them) 'cat feathers' all over the living room carpet this morning and one lamp lying on the couch and two paperback books under - instead of on top - of the dining room table. 

I gave Keeker his first loading dose of Albon pretty late last night and it's a once a day med, so I am going to wait til later tonight to give the 2nd dose. Since he is playing quietly be himself right now, I will wait until he gets a little relaxed later and smear a dab of Neosporin on his butt because it seems to look a little irritated to me. It is usually a light pink and it is now a deep pink. After 3 bouts of loose stool, I am sure it is a little raw. As I am typing, he just went over to eat some kibble. I am going to give him some wet food in a minute and add some probiotic sprinkle to it while Kricket is sleeping. Not that it would hurt Kricket to get some, but I just want to make sure Keeker gets a good dose of it. 

I hope I get the energy to go to the grocery later. After lugging 30 pounds of cats out to the car last night, (I am not supposed to lift more than 5 pounds because of my spinal cord injury) my back is screaming at me! I should have iced it when I got home last night, but that really wasn't a priority at the time. 

My concern now is that if the Albon is giving him loose stool, how do I determine whether his colitis is getting better or worse? I suppose all I can do is monitor him and see if the probiotic helps solidify things. However, if his stool doesn't start to firm up within the next 24 hours, I will consult with the Vet. 

I am happy to say, I did get an email from my sister this morning. She told me she was very impressed with my Vet last night! She commented that both she and the tech were very gentle with Keeker and she liked the way they both consoled him and talked with him during the exam (even though he was hissing and growling). She liked the way she explained things and went over his meds and spent a good amount of time with us and that if she ever got another cat she would change vets in a heart beat even though they are 40 miles and two states away from her! (We are actually right at the pit of the Tri-State of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana -- she being in KY, me in IN and the Vet in Ohio). I told her to go to their web site and write a review!

I am going to go feed Keeker and will post any warranted updates later today. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel's mum has a perfect solution for all the sand being kicked all over the place.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Here's hoping you get some sleep tonight. Nothing like lack of sleep to make back pain worse. I hope Keeker is feeling better. [emoji]128570[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The probiotic should help with the diarrhea.  And remember, not all cats get the side effects.  I hope you both feel better soon.

lovetheduns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something I have on hand for some bad diarrhea times (the joys of IBD) is diagel. https://www.pattersonvet.com/ProductItem/078653727

Basically my vet gave it to one of my cats when his IBD flare up just made him have constant diarrhea. It magically stopped all diarrhea for many days. I now have a few tubes on hand for any flare ups.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: It's midnight here and Keeker seems to be doing well today. Eating and drinking. He's been sleeping most of the day, but has been playing with toys and his brother. Not as rambunctious as usual, but that's to be expected. He has had two poops today and while they are not the firm and solid 'logs', they aren't the soupy loose stools of last night. Things are starting to solidify a bit and I am happy! 

I really believe the loose stools he had last night were secondary to the Albon. Prior to that, they were just soft formed. He also vomited this afternoon after eating (semi-digested kibble). So, I talked with the Vet earlier and I have decided to withhold the Albon for now (He has only had the one dose) as it was given as a prophylactic due to the scant spot of blood on his anus. There has been no further notice of blood at all and none was detected in his stool at the Vets. At this point, because of the side effects outweighing the benefits, I don't feel putting him through the undue stress of medicating him is necessary right now. After all, the Vet and I both feel the main contributor to his acute colitis was stress! I am going to continue with the probiotic and allow him and his system to settle down. 

I did put a little coconut on on his bottom to ease any irritation and the color has since returned to the light pink. 

His loving brother was kind enough to groom him this afternoon and lick whatever Albon was under his neck that I didn't get off when I wiped him down. Man, that stuff is sticky and dried on his fur like caramel! 

Since I am going to stay in New Year's Eve, it will be just me and the Boys, so I am hoping the quietness will help him improve as well. I found some really nice Calming Music for Cats on Spotify this afternoon and we have all just been lazing about today. Of course, I will continue to monitor his food and water intake and output and the consistency of his stools, his behavior, alertness and activity over the next several days/week. Other than that, I just have to get back on track here myself and hopefully get in a good, solid nights sleep. 

Regarding the litter box issue: As I said in the beginning, I have removed the lid from their covered box and they both seem to appreciate that. Both are using the box without difficulty. I amnot going to introduce any other changes. I don't have the space for a larger box; nor would they utilize an extra box - that has failed in the past. No further episodes of Kricket using the bathtub so, as Margd stated, I will just resign to sweeping litter every day. It's not a big deal for me to do that as I clean my bathroom every day as it is. One or two extra sweepings of a little litter is just something I will have to do. 

I am going to go take a hot shower and see if I can find a good movie to watch; otherwise, I will just read my book and cuddle with my Boys.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Something I have on hand for some bad diarrhea times (the joys of IBD) is diagel. https://www.pattersonvet.com/ProductItem/078653727

Basically my vet gave it to one of my cats when his IBD flare up just made him have constant diarrhea. It magically stopped all diarrhea for many days. I now have a few tubes on hand for any flare ups.
Thanks for the suggestion. It started out with two episodes of 'wet' formed stool - the second of which showed a scant speck of frank blood on his anus. That is when we went to the Vet. After he was given the Albon, he had two loose/soupy stools which I believe was the side effect of the Albon, and possibly exacerbated by the stress of the car ride and vet exam. Obviously, have your rectum probed for a sample is traumatic in itself, but it can also stimulate peristalsis, thereby causing further loose stools. Since he has had the probiotic, his stool has been starting the solidify and 'thicken up' some (kind of to the consistency of Greek yogurt). Since he seems to really love the FortiFlora and it is working, I will stick with that. Diagel administration requires using a syringe and he is not very cooperative in that arena. But, I will keep it in mind should it ever be deemed necessary. 

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year!

Keeker is doing much better today! The excessive meowing and pacing has stopped. YAY!  He is eating and drinking per usual - NO treats! His stools are still a bit soft, but starting to gradually solidify. I check the litter box 10 times a day just waiting for that one firm little 'log'... hasn't happened yet, but he is working on it - probably tomorrow! No further vomiting since I stopped the Albon. Continuing with the probiotic and waiting it out.

Kricket has been fine through all of this and was so sweet and loving when we got home from the vet. He layed on the bed with Keeker and groomed him and didn't provoke any rough-house play like he usually does. He knew his brother wasn't feeling up to par. Today was a whole new ballgame though! LOL  They have been zipping through the house like two tornadoes - they flew across my lap as I sat on the couch and knocked my book out of my hand, knocked  a lamp off the end table, and proceeded to throw pillows on the floor when they ripped across the bed. And all I could do is laugh and tell them how good they are!

What a way to start the New Year, right?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
That's great that Keeker is feeling so much better. [emoji]128077[/emoji]. It's sweet - he and Kricket made a NYE party for you!

Happy New Year to the three of you from the three of us (me, Paul, Chula) [emoji]127881[/emoji]

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is 6:30 PM Friday - 4 days post Vet visit.

Outwardly, everything seems to have returned to 'normal' with the exception that Keeker's poop is still not the characteristic firm texture it was previously. However, it is semi-formed and just a little soft in that when I scoop it (albeit, it is covered in litter) it's... how can I put this delicately, yet be descriptive? It's like lifting a freshly baked cookie that just came out of the oven and hasn't cooled. Just a little soft and squishy, but still has form to it. 

He still has a couple packets of probiotic to go yet, and I am wondering if that is causing his stool to remain at this consistency? 

Earlier this evening (about 4:30) he had a bout of emesis on the bathroom floor. Maybe 4 tablespoons of liquid with a minute mix of, what appeared to be, partially digested pate`. The liquid itself was the same color as the pate he had early this morning (12hours ago). There were no bits of kibble in it that I could tell. Ordinarily, when he would throw up, it was within 10 minutes of scarfing his kibble and I could tell what it was - just moist kibble.

I suppose I just want instant gratification.

My biggest concern is if I am worrying too much or not enough? I've never, in 50 years, had a 'sick' cat and he has been otherwise perfectly healthy. Other than the episode of throwing up earlier and the continued soft-formed stool (minus the gut-wrenching odor), everything is status quo. Kricket has not been affected in the least by any of this. I am still closely monitoring him and his food intake and output. He is drinking sufficiently and his activity and alertness are customary. But, if his stools continue as they are, should he go back to the Vet? Or should I wait a few days after he completes his probiotic to see if things change more for the better? I never dreamed I would be praying for the a perfect poop from my cat! LOL

C'mon, Baby. Give Mommy just one little log!

Does anyone have any intelligent thoughts on this? 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fyllis,
I think that you are a great cat guardian :)

Seeing as Keeker is and has been quite healthy and he is acting like he feels fine I would ride it out and finish the probiotics. Based on the above posts I have no doubt that if things change his furry little butt will be at your vet with a blink of an eye! ;)

What would your suggestion be if you were reading this post? You are always a thoughtful, knowledgeable source who has great instincts!

Kitty kisses to your boys and vibes for a well formed poop :D :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fyllis,
I think that you are a great cat guardian

Seeing as Keeker is and has been quite healthy and he is acting like he feels fine I would ride it out and finish the probiotics. Based on the above posts I have no doubt that if things change his furry little butt will be at your vet with a blink of an eye!

What would your suggestion be if you were reading this post? You are always a thoughtful, knowledgeable source who has great instincts!

Kitty kisses to your boys and vibes for a well formed poop
Thank you for responding. 

I feel fairly confident in what I am doing but it never hurts, even in the best scenarios, to get a little bit of reassurance and encouragement. Having been a nurse, I've had many patients over the years who presented an upset tummy and loose stools for 'no apparent reason'. I was always Johnny-on-the-Spot with giving probiotics, encouraging plenty of water/fluids and a bland diet and assured them their '24-hour bug' would resolve soon. But this is 'my baby' and I put the nursing cap on the shelf and whipped out the 'mommy badge' per se. LOL 

"What if it's more than just a bit of holiday stress?". "What if he has _________?". "When is he gonna poop normally again?".  It's human nature and instinct to over worry when the 'patient' is your own. 

Trust me, I have the Vet's phone number programmed into my phone and I know to press '7' automatically to be transferred to a tech without having to wait through all the prompts! LOL  All my notes regarding his behavior, activity, alertness and sleep schedule; diet (amount, times, type/flavor etc.); water intake (I've been measuring how much I've had to add to their fountain and how often I observe him drinking); his poops (how often, how much, color, consistency, and odor) are written out and laying on my desk. And at least once a day, I listen to his bowel sounds for hyper-activity, and I palpate his abdomen for firmness, lumps and tenderness. 

We just had a play session with the wand, he has had his wet food and probiotic for the evening, and he is now stretched out on the window sill with Kricket. I've never been a worry-wart and I think I am just being over-protective. *sigh*  I suppose I will get back on track myself once I see that one little 'log' of poop! LOL