Minor children, tattoos, body piercing?

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont have kids, and I do have piercings and tattoos. I had my first piercings in my ears at 13 and I think that is ok at that age, but tats no, not untill someone is older, to me that is 18. Piercings can be hidden or if you take the studs/rings out they will close up but a tat is with you for life, so I think you have to be adult enough to have one.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 teen girls- and the whole tattoo thing is kind of a moot point. Because neither kid would want one anyhow.

Both kids got their ears pierced in 5th grade. Both kids have a wonderful nickel allergy- just like me. I had to take my earrings out and have the holes closed b/c I put a pair of earrings in that gave me a NASTY infection (and yes- I was told they were 24 kt gold- yeah right- PLATED with nickel under it)
So I don't even know if a second set would be do-able when we have issues with just 1 set.

I wouldn't let an under 18 year old get a tattoo. What happens when you don't want it anymore b/c your employer doesn't want to see your BFF, boyfriend etc name/ favorite animal on your arm or another very obvious place? It's one thing to do something silly like that as an adult- but not as a teenager where you don't use half your brain cells sometimes anyways (both kids have made some pretty dumb choices IMHO).

Cheryl

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kids are pretty understanding with tatts.

Just ask them "do you remember what you thought was the coolest thing five to ten years ago"?

Most likely they will answer Power Rangers or Teletubbies or something super dorky. Then just remind them that in five to ten years, they will likely think the same thing about how lame what they like now is, and tatts last way longer than 5-10 years.

Thats why IMO all tattoos adult or not should have a five-year Brady act! Pick a design. Wait five years. If you still like it, get the tattoo. My buddy got a barbed wire tattoo when younger (ugh lame) but has to keep it as laser removal is SO expensive!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Piercings are ok if normal ones like ears and only two holes max. If she wants belly, has to wait until 15 years old, and everything else at 18 is an adult and can make her own decisions.

Thats for girls, if my boy wants a piercing, I'll jab him with a needle in the arm, tell him thats all he gets and to stop being so metro.
I think that could be taken as a really offensive term to some people. There is nothing wrong with guys having a piercing, and theres nothing wrong with a guy taking care of the way he looks and wanting to look his best!

Originally Posted by Sneakymom

I have 2 teen girls- and the whole tattoo thing is kind of a moot point. Because neither kid would want one anyhow.

Both kids got their ears pierced in 5th grade. Both kids have a wonderful nickel allergy- just like me. I had to take my earrings out and have the holes closed b/c I put a pair of earrings in that gave me a NASTY infection (and yes- I was told they were 24 kt gold- yeah right- PLATED with nickel under it)
So I don't even know if a second set would be do-able when we have issues with just 1 set.

I wouldn't let an under 18 year old get a tattoo. What happens when you don't want it anymore b/c your employer doesn't want to see your BFF, boyfriend etc name/ favorite animal on your arm or another very obvious place? It's one thing to do something silly like that as an adult- but not as a teenager where you don't use half your brain cells sometimes anyways (both kids have made some pretty dumb choices IMHO).

Cheryl
I work for a gold company and 99% of jewelry will NEVER EVER EVER be 24kt. Only jewelry that is will usually come from the middle east or africa. It is very soft and very orange.
Anytime you want to see if something is actually gold, stick a magnet to it! If it sticks, its not solid gold.
Most jewelry is 10kt 14kt or 18kt in most eastern countries. Look for HGE, GP, or GF on everything too! This means plated! (Heavy Gold Electroplated, Gold Plated, or Gold Filled)
If you want to know more please message me!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I think that could be taken as a really offensive term to some people. There is nothing wrong with guys having a piercing, and theres nothing wrong with a guy taking care of the way he looks and wanting to look his best!
Its a common term used even on E! I think poking fun about Ryan Seacrest, so you'd have to have a pretty thin skin to get worked up about that.
James Bond always looks his best, thats not what metro is. If you can't walk by a Banana Republic without buying something, have more shoes and sunglasses than your girlfriend/wife, use four different facial creams in the morning after shaving your chest, and have a panic attack if you run out of hair product unexpectedly, THAT'S metro.

There are guys that wear eyeliner and lipgloss too, but not under my roof!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Its a common term used even on E! I think poking fun about Ryan Seacrest, so you'd have to have a pretty thin skin to get worked up about that.
James Bond always looks his best, thats not what metro is. If you can't walk by a Banana Republic without buying something, have more shoes and sunglasses than your girlfriend/wife, use four different facial creams in the morning after shaving your chest, and have a panic attack if you run out of hair product unexpectedly, THAT'S metro.

I was thinking more the "stop being so metro" part

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I wouldn't (I don't have kids). I wouldn't let them get their eyes pierced until they were at least 10 and then never any tattoos while under my roof.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Would you allow your minor child to get tattoos and/or body piercings?
I don't have kids. But if I did, the answer would be NO!

When they turned 18 and wanted to get something, then they could provided they paid for it themselves. But I would not pay for my kids to deface themselves in such a way. Pierced ears (up to 2 holes per ear lobe), ok. But anything else, nope!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter has her ears pierced..one time. My son wanted an earring but chickened out cause of the pain.

I just hate to see those with the huge gauge earrings in.

I have nine holes in my ears but wear no jewelry. I will sometimes put an earring in the cartilege but not often.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have kids, but if I did: no tattoos before 18th birthday, some piercings yes (like ears, nose), but depends what kind. Of course they would have to pay them from their own money.

I pierced my ears myself when I was 12, got more a year later (I have 6 in my ears), got my lower lip and nose pierced when I was 15 (I still have them 11 years later) and belly button when I was 16 (still have that one too). I got my first tattoo when I was 18, I waited on purpose even though I knew some "not so reputable" tattooers who would have done it earlier. I will be getting more tattoos as soon as I get a certain person to draw a pic for me (been waiting for years) and have some extra money.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

Tara - 18 piercings wow I hope most of them are your ears
I have five in my left ear (3 lobe, a conch, and a rook), six in my right ear (3 lobe, industrial, cartilage, and tragus), left nostril, tongue, right side lower lip, belly button, and 3 you can use your imagination on

You might have to look up those exact parts of the ear to get a good idea of what they are, I'm pretty well versed in what piercings are properly called & cant help but use those names

Even though I am almost 24, my mom hates my piercings (and tattoos! Yet she has 11!!). She doesn't know about all of them, but I swear she searches my head every time I come up there. My dad just tells her "she owns her own home and pays her own bills, she can do whatever the heck she wants!"

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

No I wouldn't (I don't have kids). I wouldn't let them get their eyes pierced until they were at least 10 and then never any tattoos while under my roof.
OUCH!!!!!!

Couldn't help it, sorry.

But yes, I would allow piercings before 18. They are not permanent. Tattoos, I'm not so sure about, as they are permanent. I got my first tattoo right after I moved out of my parents house, and though I don't "regret" it, I may have made a different choice had I been a little older. Luckily, I was smart enough to go small, and easily covered.
But I also got my eyebrow and tongue pierced within the same year, and I still have both of those.

And I agree, my tongue was the easiest to heal and care for. And I only thalked with a lithp for about a day or stho.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the ear bits
I love piercings just don't like the cost I've often thought about getting my upper ear re done but I've had it done twice already closed up both times hmmm I think it might get done at the weekend

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I was definitely taken aback and offended by the metro comment. I believe my son is going to be homosexual, and he'll be free to express himself in anyway he wants to (under my roof or not). If he wants to dress up in a tutu and full makeup everyday, whatever. We will support him in his decisions.

There are A LOT of women that can't walk past stores without buying something, have TONS of shoes and sunglasses, have an entire bathroom full of products and have a panic attack if they run out of said products, but NO ONE ever has a problem with that.

Sorry to hijack.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know the ear bits
I love piercings just don't like the cost I've often thought about getting my upper ear re done but I've had it done twice already closed up both times hmmm I think it might get done at the weekend
Yay most people look at me like I'm nuts when I start spewing piercing names on the ear!
They're like a conchragusook-what?

Cost adds up a bit going to proper piercing parlors for sure. Lobes are the cheapest at $20 for 1 or $30 for both, I think I paid $40 for my conch (one of my more recent piercings) and most other cartilage piercings. I told hubby I'm running out of places for them! He wants me to consider my eyebrow, but I don't know how far I'm willing to push my employer with all the other piercings I have that are visible
I'm technically breaking dress code by a lot (1 piercing each ear visible only is the code!)

First piercing I got when I moved out was my tongue, about 3 months after I left. I never had a lisp, and successfully hid it from my mom's rude comments until 5 minutes before I left their house after a visit when the cat scratched me and I yelped. She's had a hissy fit about every single one since then, but I patiently waited until I could pay for them all on my own and be living out from under her roof

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha I looked at to many sites about ear piercing

I don't like eye brow piercing on women without being offensive I think its a manly thing lol

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Haha I looked at to many sites about ear piercing

I don't like eye brow piercing on women without being offensive I think its a manly thing lol
I have to agree...not many look good with an eyebrow piercing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I can just imagine that conversation. Teen: " I want to get a tattoo" You: "Here's some temporaries*, knock yourself out"
For added fun the temps are something kiddish like Superman or unicorns.

That is what my Mom did... Gave me 10$ and said go get some NON objectionable fakes

Fake tats YES
Real NO
Piercings NO as I find them objectionable and hate having to talk to someone with odd metal in their face.. 1 Hole in ears YES...

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

I have to agree...not many look good with an eyebrow piercing.
Guess I don't look too good then.
Guess it's a good thing that I stopped caring about what other people think a LONG time ago.

I have 9 piercings and 7 tattoos. My brother is a tattoo artist. All piercings/tattoos were done as an adult except my ears. I love every single one of my tats & piercings. People will always judge, people will always have their comments and if I ever start being/dressing/acting a certain way because people think I "don't look good", then I hope I drop dead on the spot because that will NEVER be the type of life I want to live.