Minor children, tattoos, body piercing?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you allow your minor child to get tattoos and/or body piercings?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have kids but, I don't have a problem with parents allowing piercings I had my ears done at an early age then the second set a few years later then the top when I was about 14 I got my stomach done when I was 15 my dad took me to get it done but they wouldn't allow me to get a tattoo, I have the designed for once I move back out of their house

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have kids but no, I don't think anyone should allow this. For 1) Teens aren't as responsible and some piercings can become easily infected. Improper care and playing with a navel piercing, for example, really messes with it's ability to heal. 2) If you let them get them before 18 then what do you have to bribe them with? Make them save up money/work and get it when they're legal, and after they've had to work a bit so they can see how having tattoos and piercings are viewed in the workplace.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(I do not have kids at the moment: This is just how I feel)
I wouldnt allow a tattoo but that is more because those are a lot more permanent.
But piercings I would allow. I would explain to them that not everyone is okay with visible piercings and that some jobs will not hire you or will make you cover them up. But if it were something that they truly wanted (after a certain age) I would be fine with it.
I would rather take them some place that I knew was safe, than them try to get their friends to do it or go to some sketchy little shop to have something done.
Also I wouldnt get it done first time it was mentioned. I would make them think about it, work for it, and pay for at least most of it themselves. (Minus ears.)
A lot of times if you say we will think about it, the teen will forget about it and it will never come up again.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not while they lived under my roof and I was providing care, food, and financial support in any way, shape, or form.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I would allow either (although it should be noted that I don't have kids) but, other than ear piercing, they'd be paying for it themselves and we'd have the talk about personal image and why they wanted it done. For a tattoo, I think they'd also have to bring it up a few times and have really thought about the design, since it is so permanent.

Honestly, my parents were cool with me getting tattoos or piercings as long as I'd thought it through (they got my ears pierced for me when I was 7 as a gift) and now at 31 I have a grand total of one piercing - those ears that were done at 7.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

I would allow either (although it should be noted that I don't have kids) but, other than ear piercing, they'd be paying for it themselves and we'd have the talk about personal image and why they wanted it done. For a tattoo, I think they'd also have to bring it up a few times and have really thought about the design, since it is so permanent.

Honestly, my parents were cool with me getting tattoos or piercings as long as I'd thought it through (they got my ears pierced for me when I was 7 as a gift) and now at 31 I have a grand total of one piercing - those ears that were done at 7.
Yep thats how my mom was as well. Although mom did get my ears pierced the 2nd time for me as a present with I turned 13.
She always said I could get more, I would have to pay for it, but she would go with me... same with the tattoo.
And I still just have the 2 piercings in my ear! Debating on a tattoo but not so sure yet.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Piercings absolutely, but tattoos no, not until they are older and mature enough to know what they want to permanantly put on their bodies.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my first set of lobes pierced at 4, the second set at 15, and a belly button ring at 16. That was all my mom would allow. I did pierce my cartilage twice myself, she found it, got mad, then after I took them out told me I could keep them
I used to ask all the time for different piercings, would research them before asking, to no avail. When it came to tattoos, my mom had 11 by the time I moved out, but always said no. My dad used to say he'd rather me have tattoos than piercings, which is backwards IMO since tattoos are permanant and piercings might leave a tiny scar behind.

Now I have 18 piercings
(and a surprisingly decent job that allows my visible ones) And 5 tattoos.

And I'm not having any kids, so I wont have to worry about them asking
But if I did, I wouldn't allow tattoos under 18, piercings would be dependant on the research they did, and if I deemed them old enough for them.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had human kids -

Piercing - Probably not. When I was a teen, my Mom wouldn't allow it. As an adult, I never did. Now that I'm 51 I'm glad I never did.

Tattoos - No, of course not.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Piercings- yes for the most part, except some piercings that are just hard to take care of both when healing and otherwise, like a tongue piercing for example, or the kind of piercings that create a huge visible whole in your ear or otherwise cause a permanent change in your appearance. But any usual piercing that is just a small one like ears, nose, belly button, eye brow would be okay. Tattoos- no, if they really wanted one I'd let them get a non permanent one.
And no I don't have children this is wat I would do if I did.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Tattoos- no, if they really wanted one I'd let them get a non permanent one.
I can just imagine that conversation. Teen: " I want to get a tattoo" You: "Here's some temporaries*, knock yourself out"
For added fun the temps are something kiddish like Superman or unicorns.

Or maybe insist that if they must get one while at home the tattoo must be a big cheesy heart that says " I Love My Mom/Dad". Few teens would want to brag about that to their friends.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Piercings- yes for the most part, except some piercings that are just hard to take care of both when healing and otherwise, like a tongue piercing for example, or the kind of piercings that create a huge visible whole in your ear or otherwise cause a permanent change in your appearance. But any usual piercing that is just a small one like ears, nose, belly button, eye brow would be okay. .
Actually, a tongue piercing is one of the easiest to care for, and one of the quickest to heal.
And you can't see it most of the time
People I've worked with for 4.5 years dont even know I have it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my daughters have their ears pierced . They can wait until they are adults to make the choice if they want tattoos or more piercings.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Would you allow your minor child to get tattoos and/or body piercings?
Nope.

Check out Jimmy Buffett's song, "A Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Passion."

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I would like to think any respectable tattoo or piercing establishment would not stick a minor, first of all. Except, ok, Piercing Pagoda at the mall or whatever for your kid's ears..

I went to get my ears double pierced on my 18th birthday because I wanted that for so long and my mom wouldn't let me. She only let me get my ears pierced the first time when I was about 7 because I had to get glasses. It was a sort of consolation prize I guess.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

Exactly.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let it be known that I do not have children at this point in time. But, if I did, this is my opinion on tattoos and piercings for minor children...

I do not feel that most children, adolescents, or teenagers are responsible enough to take care of themselves without assistance and reminders by their parents. I know that there are always exceptions to the rule and that many members here may have been responsible at a young age. But, I am just going by what I see in the majority of minors. Thus, I feel as though it would be irresponsible of me, as their parent, to allow them to receive body piercings or tattoos before they were a legal adult. And, even then, if they were living in my home and I was financially and emotionally still caring for them, there would be stipulations.

A first piercing in each ear would be allowed. I think, as long as the child shows some responsibility and willingness to care for themselves with or without a parent's assistance (ie. doesn't have to be reminded to brush their teeth, bathe, brush their hair, keep their room picked up) an initial piercing in each ear would be okay. In my opinion, that wouldn't happen before the age of 10. Now, of course, a parent, at that point, should monitor the child to ensure that the ears are being taken care of. However, for me, that would be where the line was drawn. I wouldn't even consider a second piercing in each ear until the child was 13 or entering high school. After that, I would not allow any other body piercings. I have personal reasons for thinking that some piercings, including navel piercings, are inappropriate for adolescents and teens. To me, a navel being pierced is something that is too sexualized for someone that age. At 18, I would, however, allow it. The same is true for the nose and/or an eyebrow. I am not a fan of tongue piercings, but would consider allowing an 18 year old (living under my roof and receiving some sort of financial or emotional care from me) under special circumstances. I do NOT like the ear guaging and would not allow it under my roof nor would I allow any other kind of piercing (ie. nipple, etc.) as I feel they are inappropriate for anyone under the age of 21. I would not even let my child consider a tattoo unless they were over the age of 18 and not living in my home.

I'm not against piercings or tattoos. I have two tattoos of my own and have my ears pierced (though I rarely wear earrings anymore). However, I feel that the reason for wanting to modify one's body should be discussed before any decision is made regarding tattoos or piercings. Even if my child never wanted such things, I would talk with them about the responsibility required when dealing with one's body as well as their opinions about themselves and others. I think it always requires a discussion and I would be open to talking with my child despite my being stringent as far as what I would allow. I wouldn't want to breed resentment or rebellion in my child and so there would always be an open door policy on discussions, but I would have rules and expectations.

That's just my two cents. As I said, I don't have children. But, if and when I do, I have learned a lot about what I'd want to do and how I'd want to treat my own child by how I was treated growing up. And, by that, I mean the good and the bad...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think pierced ears are OK, and nose if it's in your culture, but I don't think it's OK for parents to tatoo their children (again unless you live in a culture that does this). The kid can wait until late teen years and get it themselves if they want.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Piercings are ok if normal ones like ears and only two holes max. If she wants belly, has to wait until 15 years old, and everything else at 18 is an adult and can make her own decisions.

Thats for girls, if my boy wants a piercing, I'll jab him with a needle in the arm, tell him thats all he gets and to stop being so metro.