Min Space For One Cat ??

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you read my posts above (I assume you did not because I already answered the very same suggestions that they do spray regardless of being neutered). Cat spraying is a normal cat behaviour when they see other cats especially. We live at the moment in a multi storey building. There are several cats and they come to our level. So the place where the spraying occurs is often next to the door or the window.
I don’t think neutering will help most of their issues. I also explained in my posts how many cats that I known for years and other people I know well- the neuter didn’t always lead to them having no issues with each other. Some cats I knew not neutered lived in together - which I do agree is strange in case of males of many species of animals fight.
I don’t want to neuter my cats while they are healthy because I see no reason to.
Yes, I did read your posts, anni7 anni7 -- but I have to agree to disagree on the issue of neutering. Many male cats have graced my life and I have had very little trouble with spraying because my cats were always neutered, and my female cats always spayed. They will never have more kittens who do not have loving permanent homes because of overpopulation, their health will be better, they will be more calm and happy, and they will probably live longer. Those are the reasons to neuter.
Yes, some cats are bothered when other cats visit where they can see them. Jackson Galaxy and other cat behaviorists address this issue as well. Using feline pheromone mimic such as Feliway can and does help to make cats feel more confident and they feel less need to spray-mark territory.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided with the person who I coparent these cats that we won’t spay the two we have. Jack came to us neutered. He attacks a lot of catsand sprays and does same ie he roams during spring (we don’t let him out now but he was outside before because he didn’t trust us to go in and close entrance door for months he was scared of being boxed in).
Maybe there are benefits but we decided not to. I didn’t mind them being neutered but other family didn’t want to.
The two we have for 7 years never gone outside (only when carried to the vet). They never mated. In Europe there is not such great push to neuter and I’ve known many people when I lived in Ukraine who don’t neuter. I don’t think we will neuter them. I understand people believe it’s best but we decided not to do it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided with the person who I coparent these cats that we won’t spay the two we have. Jack came to us neutered. He attacks a lot of catsand sprays and does same ie he roams during spring (we don’t let him out now but he was outside before because he didn’t trust us to go in and close entrance door for months he was scared of being boxed in).
Maybe there are benefits but we decided not to. I didn’t mind them being neutered but other family didn’t want to.
The two we have for 7 years never gone outside (only when carried to the vet). They never mated. In Europe there is not such great push to neuter and I’ve known many people when I lived in Ukraine who don’t neuter. I don’t think we will neuter them. I understand people believe it’s best but we decided not to do it.
May they remain safe and healthy, loved and well cared for always. That is my prayer for each and every kitten and cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are getting some great suggestions! I agree most with Jackson Galaxy's "catification" of living space, such as plenty of cat trees, super-highways and shelves. When floor space is limited, think vertical. As long as Jack's exercise and mental stimulation needs are satisfied, he will do fine. He is safer inside with you - thank you for rescuing him from the streets. He is fortunate that he was not injured by angry neighbors - but the neighbors are only defending their pets. So, yes, 6m is enough space until you get a larger place.
Prayers and vibes for harmony in your home :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had 14 cats living at full free range roam of my house up until saturday when 3 were adopted. The 2 females are the only ones who ever try and swat each other and that's when they run into each other and they also each have a set of babies that stay (1 being a year old the 7th). There were 7 males and now are 4. I make this point to say that the advice u have been given is accurate. I have 3 male cats that have lived here over a year and 1 was an intact male until the next morning and the boys were neutered at 9 weeks. I have trapped several cats and when I trap an intact male my resident male cats who are neutered get very defensive until a bit after their neuter. The time in between they r in another room separated. The last male daddy cat that just left was the worst for them. They freaked and were frantic if they saw him. A mere week after his neuter I let him roam and the boys weren't running to be his friend but they also didn' care he was there. Cats neutered or not smell the hormones and react. Your neutered cat is reacting as an intact so he can show his dominance. I have read this entire thread and I still do not get why u r so close minded about neutering but thought perhaps the facts for why all a neutered male acts out will help. My cats are all spayed and neutered and not once have I been sprayed, marked, or otherwise misplaced other than the 2 who are incontinent and 1 I trapped who was terrified and went in his cage where he sat (who is now perfectly fine, neutered, and hasn't had an accident or problem at all). The health benefits and chance of a cat "running away" to fornicate are enough in itself. O, and I should mention the last 2 males I trapped (1 of which is still here) they said was between 3 and 5 and daddy cat liked to fight previously but calmed it down and his face healed from his last fight before I trapped him and he was running around with the brigade like he belonged. Unless u want to keep them separated forever which is stressful on everyone including u and your signficant other or whomever the other party is then just neuter them and see what happens. If it does nothing then come tell everyone who responded we were wrong, and if it does then live a happy life with three happy male cats who can free roam the house together. If it' the cost u r worried about them in sure we can help find a low cost place in your area as well. Best of luck

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had 14 cats living at full free range roam of my house up until saturday when 3 were adopted. The 2 females are the only ones who ever try and swat each other and that's when they run into each other and they also each have a set of babies that stay (1 being a year old the 7th). There were 7 males and now are 4. I make this point to say that the advice u have been given is accurate. I have 3 male cats that have lived here over a year and 1 was an intact male until the next morning and the boys were neutered at 9 weeks. I have trapped several cats and when I trap an intact male my resident male cats who are neutered get very defensive until a bit after their neuter. The time in between they r in another room separated. The last male daddy cat that just left was the worst for them. They freaked and were frantic if they saw him. A mere week after his neuter I let him roam and the boys weren't running to be his friend but they also didn' care he was there. Cats neutered or not smell the hormones and react. Your neutered cat is reacting as an intact so he can show his dominance. I have read this entire thread and I still do not get why u r so close minded about neutering but thought perhaps the facts for why all a neutered male acts out will help. My cats are all spayed and neutered and not once have I been sprayed, marked, or otherwise misplaced other than the 2 who are incontinent and 1 I trapped who was terrified and went in his cage where he sat (who is now perfectly fine, neutered, and hasn't had an accident or problem at all). The health benefits and chance of a cat "running away" to fornicate are enough in itself. O, and I should mention the last 2 males I trapped (1 of which is still here) they said was between 3 and 5 and daddy cat liked to fight previously but calmed it down and his face healed from his last fight before I trapped him and he was running around with the brigade like he belonged. Unless u want to keep them separated forever which is stressful on everyone including u and your signficant other or whomever the other party is then just neuter them and see what happens. If it does nothing then come tell everyone who responded we were wrong, and if it does then live a happy life with three happy male cats who can free roam the house together. If it' the cost u r worried about them in sure we can help find a low cost place in your area as well. Best of luck
I really wasn’t convinced I saw what happened to some neutered males - I gave example family friends who got married - both had a neutered male cat. One 10 months one was about 3 years. When they moved in together, the 10 months old cat for some reason kept attacking the older Himalayan - who didn’t fight and or even defend he was placid. Eventually the younger terrorised the older Himmie and it was given to my parents.
Jack is neutered but he fought all the cats in his territory and marked territory as if he wasn’t neutered. He was indoor /outdoor. Now he is just indoor only. So he did same things. That’s why we didn’t neuter. Because I know many people with males who still sprayed and roamed. Jack wanted to go out specifically in the early spring when the other cats mate.
I thought that it was dangerous and cruel as well as expensive to neuter them despite evidence that not all neutered cats live well together and don’t spray. That’s just what they do, it’s in their nature to do these things and some hormones come from the brain not their testes - this can’t be changed.
Is it possible that neuter may help - yes it is, it is not a guarantee, even our vets said this to us.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes significant other is the one against it. Also, I personally can’t afford it because I have a disablitity (heart problem) and can’t pay for it.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Odds r likely with the 2 cats in question they weren't given a proper introduction or period to adjust. Look for a low cost spay and neuter clinic in ur area bcz cost is obviously an issue. I've had several cats who were all male and neutered and never have any of them sprayed in decades of owning cats. The slight chance it won't help I believe would come 2nd to the health benefits and issues of concern of running to mate as well as trying to see if the boys can get along and live a happy healthy life together. I pray u take the advice of the so many cat owners and lovers and give these boys a good chance at a peaceful life together.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finding this confusing. If your cats fight why not try fixing them to see if it helps? Maybe will, maybe not. If you will not do it at least get them microchipped. They smell or hear something outside they like they will run after it and not come back if accidentally let out the door or something disasterous like a fire or flood. Or pee on the floor or fight.Then there will be more stray kittens. Happens too much. I am in a large one bedroom apt with 4 female cats. They have each chosen their own spot. I live in Houston. Many pets are crowded in shelters because of the flooding. Wouldn't be so bad if they were chipped. All my cats are indoor and microchipped.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually neutering isn't that dangerous. It's a really quick surgery. You might be thinking about spaying females, that is a little more dangerous and expensive, since they have to cut into her. Neutering a male only costs about $65.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take everything to a stray and feral clinic. If they r in a trap it's 37.50 and they get a rabies shot with it. Granted they aren't my cats but who is to st u don't stick your own cat in the trap and take them but one of the places does ear tipping automatically so u may be minus a bit of an ear in the end. Amen to the microchip however they need to make it more clear to the many people in the world who don' know they aren't GPS and to make people want to scan the animals they find. Lost my dog for 9 days who was chipped and I had people just tell me "if she's chipped then y don't u just look up where she is". More people need to be informed. (She was stolen I found out and was turned in to me by a friend of the theif thankfully). Where in the world are u located? And whatever vet u went to that didn' convince u to neuter a male cat is not a good vet considering all the good it does. I would say we figure out where u are and can figure out a means to neuter them. I hear here in Missouri if people are on government assistance they give people vouchers for free spay and neuter through the office you go to (I don't get any of that so I can't self verify). If u have to find someone to take them for u and don't tell the other party. If u can't convince them that it is needed. I will say my 65+ year old father wasn' going tonspay or neuter either of his dogs and now he's changed his mind thankfully before the female came in heat. It's an unjustified belief that it makes them less of an animal or hurts them when in actuality they aren't like people and they do not feel like less of a man if they are missing their testicles. They just don't feel the need to be in competition all the time because they cant fornicate. I' sure there's likely an article in here with all the positives of spaying and neutering. If not, I'll give u a good one: birth defects... I own 2 incontinent cats caused by intact cats being able to roam free which could have been avoided if these animals were fixed. The person I got the mom who was pregnant from said this was her 3rd litter and when I took her to get spayed they said she was merely a year old. Had the actual owner spayed her there wouldn't have been the 4 babies I got her pregnant with, 1 having problems that I now take care of for the duration of his life. This took from my house 3 spots for the cats I kept, and 2 from my brothers who took the other 2 babies. That's 5 cats from what started as 1 owner who thought it ok. Idk where the other babies are or if they were ok but I hope they are. Try explaining that, if it doesn't work then keep trying for the sake of your kitties. The fact u came here to ask shows u care about them and want all of u to be happy so by all means keep pounding the knowledge that your vet should have into their head. If u need the talking points just ask, everyone can give u a different angle I'm sure and u are 1 step closer to a happy kitty house

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huge props to you, krisrath11 krisrath11 and much gratitude for posting this accurate and helpful information.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THanks for everyone’s answers. Where we are the take the testes too I believe so there is surgery involved and it costs several hundred dollars (around $200). It’s more for keyhole desexing.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get them neutered. Personally I think it is inhumane to keep cats locked up in a small room like that especially if their bodies are full of hormones. It's so unnecessary. Of course tom cats can't get along and spray. Wow I don't know how you deal with the stench either. I'm not sorry for being critical because quite honestly this is no life for an animal.

If you can't do it because of cost reasons look for a low-cost shelter or rehome at least one of them. I feel very sad and sorry for them. They rely on you to give them a decent life.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuter is only $65 in New York. Spaying a female is the expensive one at $145.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in Australia
Our cats don’t spray every day and we don’t live in stench.
I think you don’t know how intact males can be.
Jack also sprays and so do many neutered males and even females occasiomally spray.
Some part of the year they do have spraying more and other times none or rarely.
People I know who have desexed cats have problems like spraying too.
Intact Snowy has NEVER sprayed ever in his life that I saw.
They probably fight less or the fights themselves are not as aggressive but many behaviour of neutered cats is similar to intact.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THE other two are fine they don’t suffer at all. Apart from allergies Snowy has.
Tabby does live in a just under 7 square meter room which is a small area and I am also worried about him. That’s why I was speaking about it on here.
He doesn’t sit in the room all day every day as he also goes in the other room and a corridor a few times a day (unfortinately we can’t do it every day).
SO we rotate tabby and jack - jack loves to sit and look out of the window in the bathroom a few hours each day. That’s the time if we can we close the door on him and let tabby out so he has the bigger bedroom to himself.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats never go out and never ran away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THanks for everyone’s answers. Where we are the take the testes too I believe so there is surgery involved and it costs several hundred dollars (around $200). It’s more for keyhole desexing.
If they didn't take the testes it wouldn't be neutering ;). Some vets do vasectomy (leaving the testes, just cutting the spermatic cord) but that's only for birth control not to reduce fighting or other hormonal behaviors. With neutering, they just cut the scrotum and remove the testes, so there's no reason to pay for "keyhole surgery" or anything fancy like you might want for a female. I think any vet who offers anything that's supposedly different is probably ripping people off. There's really only one way to do a castration. It's possible prices are that high in your area, it just seems odd.

Doesn't their urine have a very strong odor? Even with toms who don't spray, I just can't stand that smell. At least if a neutered cat sprays it doesn't smell nearly as bad.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their urine smells differntly according to some strange season rule. So it real stinks in early spring and then in autumn for whatever reason. It still badly stinks if they spray- including the desexed one. I can’t tell much difference in their stench. At the moment, only jack did some small non-smelly sprays around the door, but no one else sprayed for a few weeks. Ah forgot to say- tabby sprayed at the back on my pillow and bed a few days back - which must have some scent I can’t smell from before when he did the same a few weeks before. Why the pillow - I don’t know. So at this very moment no smell at all. Apart from litter box occasionally but we clean it twice a day.