Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 33

Mickey weighted in at 20:5 (lbs:eek:z) last night for a one week loss of 4 oz and a total loss of 6:9. 

4 oz gets the dance of joy: 

It looks as certain as it can at this point that he will be going to his adoptive parents at the end of May regardless of his weight. If he averages losing 3 oz a week between now and then he will still be over 17 lbs. But, since his adoptive parents already know they will have to feed him separately from their other cats they can keep him on a reduced calorie diet as easily as I can and that time frame will correspond to when Susan (his future meowmy) will start her summer break from her school job. I'll really miss the boy but they will give him a great home. 

Last week is the first time I've seen him leap up for a toy and have his feet leave the ground. He still has a lot of bulk to move so I think that's an impressive accomplishment! 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting airborne is a fantastic milestone! Congratulations to you both! :banana1:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 34

Mickey weighted in at 20:3 (lbs:eek:z) for a 1 week loss of 2 oz and a total loss of 6:11.

Not much else to report this week. He's closing in on the magic (well for me at least) 20 lbs. His rate of loss seems to have slowed a bit but he is still doing fine. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oooooh, he's definitely getting close!  Can't wait for another picture

amby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to say: Good for you for being Mickey's new foster mama! Not just anyone would do it with such an open heart!!!! 
  I hope everything goes smoothly with his weight loss 

Kuddos!!!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 35

Mickey weighted in at 20:0 (lbs:eek:z) on Saturday for a 1 week loss of 3 oz and a total loss of 6:14.

The downward trek continues! It still amazes me that he has lost so much weight and is still fat! I've always thought that when he got below 20 lbs that he would start to look more like a normal cat. Not seeing it so far! Maybe in another pound or two!

I found another toy he really likes:

Mickey's new favorite toy

I've had it for years but it's been stored away in the kitty toy box (yes, they have their own toy box 
 ). I pulled it out a couple of days ago to see if he would like it. Boy did he! It's battery operated. When turned on the mouse runs around the track. He likes it when it is turned on or off. When off the mouse will still move around the track when batted. I made a video of him playing with it and intended to post it but my camera is always set to take video in HD and while that looks great on my tv it isn't so great for posting in a forum. I'm trying to find software that will do a decent job of converting HD videos to SD but haven't yet found one I like. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mickey hit the 20 lb mark! 
  We're at least going to get a new side by side picture aren't we? 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only do the side by side picture every 2 lbs. There really isn't that much of  a difference after just 1 lb.

So, the next side by side will be at 19 lbs. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on another 3 oz and how wonderful that he has found a new Game to play! Every little bit of exercise makes a difference.

My cats have Toy Boxes too. They also have toys that belong in certain Spots, and it is my job to notice when the toys have been used and return them to those Spots, for the next time.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You  mean not ALL cats have Toy  boxes 
  ?  Ours doesn't have a lid on it, so they can dig in there if they want to...every once in awhile I'll find little toys strewn all over the place and know someone has gotten bored and been looking for something new

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine has a lid and every time I open it Coco comes on the run, jumps inside and starts digging looking for a prize! It's really cute but really a pain too. Makes it really difficult to find something when I have to keep shoving her out of the way!  

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, here are a couple of videos of Mickey playing. They aren't terribly exciting but they do show how much better he moves now than he did in the video I posted soon after I got him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh thank you so much for posting those! :love: :clap:

The first thing that I see is a fat kitty. But that compares to the start of this journey, when he was obese - and looked like a big blob with a head. Now he has shape and moves with ease! It's easy to fall in love with him, he just has the sweetest face.

He can really move when he wants to! :clap: :D

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.....look at him go! :banana1:

Don't you love that bright eyed look they get when they play......he's really into it, such a happy boy, on his way to being even happier!

PS I just looked at that first video, from June. Look how often he had to rest then, just from playing on his back with his crinkly toy. And he couldn't get his hind feet anywhere NEAR the toy.

Everyone with an obese cat should have to watch these videos, to see what they are forcing their cats to go through, and to miss.

Last edited: