Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I want to know, whose that OTHER gorgeous cat?  What a gorgeous coat that one has
.  Not to take away from Mickey, handsome boy that he is, but the other one is fantastic!

But Mickey doesn't really look like he's overflowing that lap too much.  He's looking great
.  Can't wait for the next side by side.  You're going to do that with him at his heaviest, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I want to know, whose that OTHER gorgeous cat?  What a gorgeous coat that one has
.  Not to take away from Mickey, handsome boy that he is, but the other one is fantastic!

But Mickey doesn't really look like he's overflowing that lap too much.  He's looking great
.  Can't wait for the next side by side.  You're going to do that with him at his heaviest, right?
That's Coco, my Bengal. She's a real sweetie also. 

I think when he gets to 21 lbs I'll post 2 sets of side-by-sides, one comparing him at 23 lbs and the other with him as he was when I first got him at almost 27 lbs. 

Let's hope he gets to to 21 lbs quickly!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 25

Mickey weighted in at 21:12 (lbs:eek:z) yesterday for a 1 week lose of 3 oz and a total of 5:2.

I'm very happy for the 3 oz drop after last weeks 5 oz. A 2 week total of 8 oz is great!

He has started eating less. At first I thought there might be something wrong with the Darwin's raw chicken I was giving him because at first it seemed that was all he wouldn't finish all of and he threw it up once. But then he started not finishing anything and I though he might be getting tired of just getting chicken and turkey. So, I gave him some of the by Nature/Soulistic mix that I used to give him before switching to all raw but he hasn't been finishing that either.

He acts perfectly normal otherwise. He's alert and active and certainly acts like he wants his food when meal time rolls around. He digs in enthusiastically, he just doesn't finish it all. I don't know what is going on. I'm not going to worry about it though as long as he is acting OK and doesn't loose to much weight too fast. 

Edit: I just checked and he finished all of his breakfast.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well a bit of sinking heart but smiles at the end there! :lol3:

And YAY on the news! A nice comfortable loss - despite the not finishing meals recently. :rub:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update week 25  

I'm late with the update this week. I've been busy but I also haven't been terribly excited about posting disappointing news. Mickey didn't lose any weight at all last week. He was still at 21:12 (lbs:eek:z) when I weighted him Saturday night. 

I can't say I was surprised though. His meals got pretty messed up last week. I normally have his morning, evening and late night foods in separate bowls in the refrigerator and I know how much of each he is supposed to get to stay within his daily calorie quota. But last week I ran out of what I normally give him in the evening and substituted something else. But I got lazy and didn't check how what I substituted would affect his calorie intake. I'm pretty sure his calorie intake for several days last week was higher than his quota of about 165 calories.

Since Saturday I've made sure I'm feeding him the correct calorie amount. I weighted him Monday evening and he was down an ounce. So hopefully we are back on track now. 

Sigh. That puts an end to my unbroken string of weekly losses. Let's hope for better news next week. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 26

Mickey weighted in at 21:8 (lbs:eek:z) for a 1 week loss of 4 oz and a total loss of 5 lbs 6 oz. 

Yea, we're back on track! 
 I love an excuse for a banana dance!

There's not much else to report. He still can't quite reach his nether regions for grooming. And he still can't get to the second platform of the big cat tree although he still desperately wants to. I expect he will need to be under 20 lbs before he can do either of those things.

6 1/2 months and we aren't even at the halfway point on this journey yet. Amazing. An average loss of 3.3 oz a week isn't as much as  I was hoping for when I started but it isn't bad. I think the only way to increase it without decreasing his calorie intake to an uncomfortable level for him is to exercise him more and I can't seem to do that on anything near to a regular basis. He does sometimes chase my cats when they are racing around the house but that doesn't happen often enough.

Let's hope for another good report next week!

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have a typo there. I don't think he weighs 28 pounds? You mean 20 lbs 8 ounces?

I'm so glad to hear the update. Honestly I think 3 ounces a week is a good safe pace. I go even slower than that, with my cats, I am that paranoid!

Soon he WILL make it up to that perch, and wow what a triumph that will be for him! Do you talk to him about his weightloss, and tell him what's happening, and encourage him by saying things like...well soon you'll be slender enough to make that perch?

Cats understand way more than we think, I believe. :heart3:

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have a typo there. I don't think he weighs 28 pounds? You mean 20 lbs 8 ounces?

Crud! Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to correct it. He weights 21 lbs 8 oz.
Do you talk to him about his weightloss, and tell him what's happening, and encourage him by saying things like...well soon you'll be slender enough to make that perch?

Cats understand way more than we think, I believe. 
Hmm. Well I talk to him but not specifically about losing weight. He'll have to be satisfied with being told what a pretty boy he is! 

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's doing fantastic. He probably feels so much better than he did. It will be no time before he jumps on that platform :D

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 27

Mickey weighted in at 21:5 (lbs:eek:z) Saturday for a 1 week loss of 3 oz and a total loss of 5:9.

It's getting close to time for another side by side picture! As he gets closer to 20 lbs he is really starting to look more like a normal cat rather than like a big blob! I can't wait to see him under 20 lbs! I consider that the turning point for him to start being able to do more of the normal cat things like climbing and cleaning himself.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can hardly wait to see the side by side pictures.  So exciting!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you all exercise Will Power?  Ritz keeps on meowing for food when I know she's had enough.  And I'm too weak to say NO and give in to her.

Her complaining and weight pushes ALL sorts of buttons--I'm anorexic so ..

Well, anyway, talk about the right cat finding the right owner...

I feed raw (frakrenprey), have been for over a year, she loves raw, was a very picky canned food eater.  She weighs almost 10.14 pounds which is about 10 oz too much.  I feed around 4.5 oz protein--was 4.2 oz during the summer--and appropriate amount of liver/kidney, low end of bone because she gets constipated easily. Increasing fat and decreasing amount or protein doesn't seem to help her satiety. Because of my schedule, I generally fed a small amount at 3:30 a.m., a small amount at 6 a.m. and the rest when I get home around 6:30 p.m.  (On the weekend, I fed her around 4 pm. too).