Methimazole and Lack of Appetite

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My vet didn't really say anything about reducing the dose or stopping; he just agreed to let me try the transdermal. We re-set to 2.5mg on Aug 14, he has blood work scheduled for Sept 7.
Good luck on Sept. 7! :thumbsup: From what you said in the above post I would have expected your vet to provide you with more reassurance and an explanation. Is Ed on 1.25 mg twice a day or 2.5 mg twice a day? When you bring Ed in for bloodwork you may want to write down all your questions beforehand so you can discuss them with him. If for any reason you feel apprehensive about the answers you are receiving or lack of them you may want to consider a second opinion. All the best of luck and please keep us posted.:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GandalfTGray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on 1.25mg twice per day for a total of 2.5mg per day. We have switched over to the transdermal gel (same dose). His appetite is improved but of course NOW I'm worried that, "OMG he's not absorbing the meds!" :gaah: I can't wait till this bloodwork is over.

We're using the twist and click sponge tipped pen applicator, and it's been a breeze so far, at least.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His appetite is improved but of course NOW I'm worried that, "OMG he's not absorbing the meds!"
The whole point in trying the transdermal was to avoid the oral pills causing stomach upset - maybe that has been accomplished?

Don't put all your eggs in one basket and think that the 9/7 blood tests are the end of this, especially if at any time during this past month, he hasn't gotten a consistent regimen day in and day out. The more regular the meds have been given the more the T-4 test can be relied on as a good gauge. But, in the meantime, be patient!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GandalfTGray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The whole point in trying the transdermal was to avoid the oral pills causing stomach upset - maybe that has been accomplished?
Fingers definitely crossed.

Thanks, I know this is going to be a long process. A friend of mine had a cat with hyperthyroid that, for various reasons went untreated for a long time, and eventually died of it. So that's always in the back of my mind, even though Ed is getting much more supportive care and attention.