Merrick canned food?

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the BG Merrick with my adult cats last week. I think we tried the 95% Beef and the 3-year old threw it up. She seemed to like it, but it might have been too rich for her too fast. (Normally eats TOTW wet). Might go a bit slower on the Chicken/Quail flavor.

Tried a few other regular Merrick canned, too. Mine definitely like the less-chunky kinds... if it has peas or carrots or anything else like that, they just eat around it.

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed that the Merrick 'Before Grain' at one time said 'for supplemental feeding' only. Has that changed?

If not, is it OK to feed this if I am only feeding 3 oz per day in addition to the dry food I feed? If I do put it in rotation, they would likely get it 2 or 3 times a week. Is that too much if it is a supplemental food?

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Merrick changed the formula. Now BG is a complete diet.

Little tip, though... The BG dog and cat food is the same stuff, except the cat food has glycine in it. Near as I've been able to figure out, it's to help control hairballs. There's other ways of doing that. The dog food is much easier to find in big cans. Petco sells 13.2 ounce cans of BG dog food for $2.50, where the 5.5 ounce cat food cans are $1.50.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to feed Merrick's before we found out Hannah had herpes and switched her to a grain free diet. She liked all the flavors except the fishy ones. (Go figure!) When they came out with Before Grain, we'd use that to entice the girls to eat. However, I have to go to the feed store/garden center downtown to buy it, so we stick to Wellness and Innova EVO which are much more readily accessible on my side of town. I'll have to check at our local PetCo to see if they have it, though.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats don't really like Merricks. The only one they really like is the Grammy stew. I feed wellness canned and they all love it!