Mercy

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not so interesting as all that, but here we go.  For seven years (well, actually 30, but I've only been here for seven of them), my apartment complex had those nasty "side open" windows, you know, they slide to the side.  This leaves a gap of 16 inches on one side of the opened window.  Now, I live on the second floor, and there is only one door, the front.  If, God forbid, a fire had started in the front of the apartment, I'd have had to straddle the window sill and tilt myself out sideways, thereby falling on my head, two stories below.  IF I could have gotten in there and not been stuck.  16 inches isn't much gap for one fat old woman to get out of. 

When the complex manager told me we were getting new windows, and that they would be identical to the old ones, but with white frames, I told her just what I wrote above.  She, bless her, called her district manager, who decided based on that, that the new windows would either open straight up for the front windows and crank out from one side in back.  Now I can hook an escape ladder over the sill and climb down.

That said, landing headfirst two floors below might have been the safest way out for me.  I'm hardheaded enough that I'd prolly have been fine.  However, the cat crate would NOT have fit out of the gap, and I would have to have simply thrown Hekitty out of the window and prayed.  This is much better. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Not so interesting as all that, but here we go.  For seven years (well, actually 30, but I've only been here for seven of them), my apartment complex had those nasty "side open" windows, you know, they slide to the side.  This leaves a gap of 16 inches on one side of the opened window.  Now, I live on the second floor, and there is only one door, the front.  If, God forbid, a fire had started in the front of the apartment, I'd have had to straddle the window sill and tilt myself out sideways, thereby falling on my head, two stories below.  IF I could have gotten in there and not been stuck.  16 inches isn't much gap for one fat old woman to get out of. 

When the complex manager told me we were getting new windows, and that they would be identical to the old ones, but with white frames, I told her just what I wrote above.  She, bless her, called her district manager, who decided based on that, that the new windows would either open straight up for the front windows and crank out from one side in back.  Now I can hook an escape ladder over the sill and climb down.

That said, landing headfirst two floors below might have been the safest way out for me.  I'm hardheaded enough that I'd prolly have been fine.  However, the cat crate would NOT have fit out of the gap, and I would have to have simply thrown Hekitty out of the window and prayed.  This is much better. 
Good for you on speaking up. Yes the idea of throwing the cat out the window is much worse than the idea of us having to take the plunge.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It actually kept me awake some nights.  I'm a good worrier.  I was fairly certain that she would land ok, but in her panic, what would she do?  Used to have nightmares about that.  One less thing to fret about, at least.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

It actually kept me awake some nights.  I'm a good worrier.  I was fairly certain that she would land ok, but in her panic, what would she do?  Used to have nightmares about that.  One less thing to fret about, at least.
From one chronic over thinker to another. I get ya.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I;ve found that fretting can be elevated to a real art form, if done properly. 

But tell me, what has Little Mercy gotten into today?  And how is Mook surviving it all?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I;ve found that fretting can be elevated to a real art form, if done properly. 

But tell me, what has Little Mercy gotten into today?  And how is Mook surviving it all?
Mercy got into the bathroom and made sure everything was rearrange according to cat esthetics. She is also honing her skills at cat-assist so that no one ever has to do anything alone again. That includes making sure Mook doesn't feel lonely in the litter box. Mook was yelling something in cat talk that sounded like I can't go if you're looking. Mercy " Why are you carrying me away I was just being helpful don't worry Mook I'll be right back '. Friday will mark three weeks. We have had zero cat fights and unless you count the first few days where Mook took on the vocalizations of a sasquatch to everyone I'd say things are pretty darn good. I now have four litter boxes in my home. Yay for me?! She's laying across my arm now purring. I can't wait to take her back to the vet on the 5th to see how much she's gained. Mook won't let her play chase the hair ties with her. She was humming Little Bunny FOO FOO as she whacked her on the head. No claws, growling just establishing her place in the world and making sure Mercy knows hers. Mook actually slept by the crate door for a little while last night after baby was tucked in.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

Mook just sent you a genuine certified numbered and collectable tortie stink eye.

Sorry, that just made me laugh. Actually, the last ten posts had me laughing, either because of hilarity or insanity. Possibly a mixture of both. Glad Mook and Mercy seem to be getting along better. I'm so glad Penelopy fit in really well after just one play session with the fishbone in a string. 

And omg you made me think of the first night the kittens were here. I'd hadn't had a kitten in 13 years, and even then Maple was 3 months old so a LITTLE bit bigger than these guys at 8 weeks. They were quite adept at getting under the couch. I made the stupid mistake of trying to life it once and Oliver scooted under. I was afraid to put it down and I knocked over the lamp and a ton of other stuff trying to keep from dropping it. Had it not been so terrifying at the time, I'm sure it would have been comical.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry, that just made me laugh. Actually, the last ten posts had me laughing, either because of hilarity or insanity. Possibly a mixture of both. Glad Mook and Mercy seem to be getting along better. I'm so glad Penelopy fit in really well after just one play session with the fishbone in a string. 

And omg you made me think of the first night the kittens were here. I'd hadn't had a kitten in 13 years, and even then Maple was 3 months old so a LITTLE bit bigger than these guys at 8 weeks. They were quite adept at getting under the couch. I made the stupid mistake of trying to life it once and Oliver scooted under. I was afraid to put it down and I knocked over the lamp and a ton of other stuff trying to keep from dropping it. Had it not been so terrifying at the time, I'm sure it would have been comical.
Was it a big couch ? I can't picture any cat no matter how inexperience running under a piece of lightweight furniture. I have pillows, rolled up bath towels and paper towels stuffed everywhere to block or plug up crawl spaces.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Was it a big couch ? I can't picture any cat no matter how inexperience running under a piece of lightweight furniture. I have pillows, rolled up bath towels and paper towels stuffed everywhere to block or plug up crawl spaces.
Leather loveseat, quite heavy, especially considering I have a lot of back issues. There is apparently a lot of space under that thing though! They were pretty dang tiny when I brought them home. I still tell them all the time how I remember when I could hold both of them in one hand.

Oliver was a little sneak like that. I think he also wasn't feeling great the first few days, he had a bit of a herpes infection in his eye that he caught from his bio-mama. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear that Mook has a litter box buddy.  Hekitty accompanies me to my "litter box" about every other trip.  We both get comfy, then I get the "read any good books lately?" look.  Puts me off my business, that unblinking stare.

Hekitty loves getting under the love seat.  The bottom clears her head by about 1/4", so it's fun to watch...head, then wriggle wriggle wriggle shoulders, then this...frog-butted kick kick kick, and there go the hips and tail.  I don't know quite the attraction, but she does.

And OH, don't I know that tortie stink-eye.  Re-posting my profile pic here, in larger form...Hekitty is sooooooooooo good at that one.  I see it several times a day.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Even Little Mercy has a stink eye. Of course my husband would say I have one myself. Is Hekitty cat slang for Hecate ?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Mercy is still of that age that anything I give her is new and wondrous and can keep her occupied for 15 minutes or more. She just spent the last half hour flipping the wrapper from a tea bag all over the kitchen and is now happily passed out on the cat mat by the sink.  She is growing so fast. November 29,2015 was one of the worst days of my life. Somehow this little girl showed up and entered our lives on December 04,2015. On August 25 , 2015 a bad veterinarian in a office visit that lasted less than a half hour set in motion events that led to the loss of our Kitten. It took less than half an hour to make Mercy ours at the Animal Shelter. It is amazing how such small chunks of time are like small stones tossed in a pond sending ripples everywhere. One small moment in time can have such a large impact on our lives.

Little Mercy crawled up my chest today and put a paw on each cheek and gave me a head butt. She has been my cat since the moment we laid eyes on each other. I not only love her for the little beast she is but because she is such a comfort and lighthearted innocent little soul.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I am so glad that you found one another. She is a precious little thing. 
Mook and Mercy just had a rousing game of cat scramble tag. I think I may have accidently smiled. I told her tonight she isn't Kitten , doesn't need to be Kitten and I don't want her to be Kitten. And yet her physical appearance so like my Kitten at this age gives me a sort of comfort. As does her constant nonstop chatter, trills and chirps. That fluffy tail that talks as much as her other end. But she is so much an individual on her own. This would have been easier a few months on down the line. No regrets. I know this is simply a bad time of year anyway. I'm home alone tomorrow. And happy with it. My husbands family is the only one close and they are not to say politely the kind of people who would get what we're going through. Hubs is on shift. Mercy is getting the same caring childhood we gave to Kitten and then to Mook. While animals are individual how they live and are treated has great impact on who they become. Little Mercy knows her name. She learning some hand signals and gestures. Baby cat ADD limits that right now.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know how i missed this post the whole time. Very good pictures and stories of Mercy and Mook!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Up until now I've been able to sneak Mook treats under the table so to speak. Little Mercy that tiny innocent baby has been blissfully unaware I have been palming goodies to bit sister Mook. I was sneaking one to Mook when I hear a jingle and seen the baby's head had popped up. Hey wait a minute what are you guys doing over there ? Guess the party is over.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Up until now I've been able to sneak Mook treats under the table so to speak. Little Mercy that tiny innocent baby has been blissfully unaware I have been palming goodies to bit sister Mook. I was sneaking one to Mook when I hear a jingle and seen the baby's head had popped up. Hey wait a minute what are you guys doing over there ? Guess the party is over.
Oh, I remember sneaking the older cats treats without the kittens being aware. Back when they all got a pill pocket when the two that needed to be pilled got one. Oscar noticed it first one day and of course, had to tell his brother about it. I decided to get them Temptations because I told them these were adult treats. I've since gotten something else with a similar texture to the pill pockets (but is not for pills so MUCH cheaper) that all the non-pilled cats get.

I did, however, give all of them a pill pocket last night when I got home. It's the kittens' first Christmas ever. Had to celebrate a bit.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Even Little Mercy has a stink eye. Of course my husband would say I have one myself. Is Hekitty cat slang for Hecate ?
Got it in one guess!  I usually have to explain...and to make it even better, when I was given directions to go see the litter, and to choose my kitten, the house was in the fork of a real, old-fashioned "Hecate" cross road, you know, actully a Y, rather than two road intersecting.  I couldn't resist!