Meowing till all hours.

punkrckrryoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past week my inside cat has been meowing, non stop from about 5am till 8am. We thought it was because our screen door was being fixed and he couldnt get his usual "look outside" but when we got it fixed he continued with this new behavior. After a few days of this though he decided to escape and go outside, i figured that would help him with coming back into the house and being ok again but that wasnt the case he just has continued to walk the house meowing like something is wrong.

I'm not sure if he is just needing more attention then usual and thinks this is how he can get, or if he might not be feeling well. But i really need this to stop for both of our sakes.

Does anyone know if there is a reason he would do this? is it something he wants? or is needing?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered? If not, it may be that he found himself a girlfriend and wants to get out to see her again...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkrckrryoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Has he been neutered? If not, it may be that he found himself a girlfriend and wants to get out to see her again...
He has been but we do have a girl cat who lives in the backyard.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is a change in your cats behavior, I would make an appt. with the vet. Especially if you question he may not be feeling well. Cats do have a way of waking us up at all hours of the night, but if this is new, please take him to the vet. Good Luck.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really could be alot of different things. But the reason people suggest that if there is a change in your cats behavior to make an appt with the vet is because the nature of a cat is to mask any sickness as part of survival from predators, so when they do have a sudden change in behavior its a sign to you that something could be wrong.

You say that he does this in the early AM, if it were heat, I would think (in my unprofessional opinion) that he would do it more than just the early AM, since its cooler then than the rest of the day.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats started howling in the middle of the night. Couldn't imagine what was going on and after about a week of it took her to the vet and she had thyroid problems. She didn't act sick but I had noticed that she had been eating and drinking more than ususal. Should probably have the vet check him out.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 11 month old cat has,for the past two days...on and off...been taking a little stuffed toy and carrying it with her....meowing really funny...laying the stuffed toy by her tummy....then picking it up and walking away with it....then after a few minutes...will just walk away from it. She was spayed at four months...no other problems......seeing this thread made me wonder about her too.....any ideas?
Its a real funny meow...not the normal kind...hard to explain...Its like she wants me to "DO" something.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

My 11 month old cat has,for the past two days...on and off...been taking a little stuffed toy and carrying it with her....meowing really funny...laying the stuffed toy by her tummy....then picking it up and walking away with it....then after a few minutes...will just walk away from it. She was spayed at four months...no other problems......seeing this thread made me wonder about her too.....any ideas?
Its a real funny meow...not the normal kind...hard to explain...Its like she wants me to "DO" something.
My Abby who is 7 years old adopted a pair of rolled up socks from the clean laundry basket when she was 4 months old. She carries them around in her mouth while meowing. I can always tell when she's carrying the socks by the tone of her meow...it's almost frantic. I'll call her and tell her "Bring mommy the socks!" and she will follow the sound of my voice, and drop them on the floor near where I'm sitting. At first I thought she was wanting to play, but she doesn't respond when I throw them and I'm the one doing the fetching, LOL

She will even leave a good cuddle session in bed to go into the living room and bring the socks into the bedroom, leaving them on the floor before jumping up into bed again to finish cuddling.

The other day they got wet so I unrolled them and draped them over the back of a chair to dry. The poor thing was frantic and kept looking at her socks and meowing. I finally had to toss them into the dryer in order to make her happy. I can only wash them when she's sleeping, LOL

I figure it's a type of security blanket and nothing to worry about. I asked about it here too.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goodness the above two posts deserve a thread all their own! That is so disconcerting. Cats communicate in so many ways but these two seem so strange to me. Almost like they want a kitten or something!

Don't listen to me though, I haven't a clue about it. Interesting though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkrckrryoki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Tigger brings me toys all the time buy lineing them up outside the door and then meowing to let me know he is there untill i go see "what he caught" then he wants love lol. But i still cant figure out whats with Tyger (the one who is meowing all hours of the night) i figured he wanted outside since he has tried to escape, so i took him outside where he ate a bunch of grass, but once i did that he seems to have gotten worse, he's now getting aggeressive with me, and others around the house.

He's always been a slightly more aggressive cat then the others and has had issues with eatting to much and getting sick. but he has gone to the vet for that and they said it was just hairballs, but he has never ever in 5 yrs had one.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered getting a friend for your cat? I found that every time my cats went through the nonstop meows it was because they wanted another cat in the house - even if they were jealous of their territory, etc.! They just won't shut up til they get one (friend), but then stop dead once it happens, and maybe his seeing the other cat in the yard has set him off.

phantomsr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My Abby who is 7 years old adopted a pair of rolled up socks from the clean laundry basket when she was 4 months old. She carries them around in her mouth while meowing. I can always tell when she's carrying the socks by the tone of her meow...it's almost frantic. I'll call her and tell her "Bring mommy the socks!" and she will follow the sound of my voice, and drop them on the floor near where I'm sitting. At first I thought she was wanting to play, but she doesn't respond when I throw them and I'm the one doing the fetching, LOL

She will even leave a good cuddle session in bed to go into the living room and bring the socks into the bedroom, leaving them on the floor before jumping up into bed again to finish cuddling.

The other day they got wet so I unrolled them and draped them over the back of a chair to dry. The poor thing was frantic and kept looking at her socks and meowing. I finally had to toss them into the dryer in order to make her happy. I can only wash them when she's sleeping, LOL

I figure it's a type of security blanket and nothing to worry about. I asked about it here too.
I have a 3 year old female cat that does the exact same thing. Always this one toy. One type of toy I should say as it's been replaced with a new one a couple times. She'll wonder off at random times and pick it up then meowl with it in her mouth. If you talk to her, she'll bring it to you and drop it and then proceede to ignore it.

It's not all that different to our old farm cat that used to do this with dead mice. He'd drop them at the door and then meowl until you came to see his catch and then he'd eat his dinner.