ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all,
to you all.
I don't know what I'd do without TCS!

Originally Posted by kluchetta

So...is this kind of good news I think? Sure hope so!!! You've got lots of people praying for you!
Well, it's definitely better bad news than if it were hemangiosarcoma, and definitely better that it's his stomach, not his spleen.

Originally Posted by LoveWhiskers

...What herbs is the holistic vet thinking of? Is one of them Neoplasene? This is what gave us another year with Sammy...
Yes, she mentioned Neoplasene.
She said it's difficult to get into the cat - but I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. When we went to pick up Lazlo, the vet's surgeon was there. He said he's not as up on the herbal treatments as our vet is, but he sent me home with... gotta go grab it. Artemesian. Apparently they're having "amazing" results in cats with oral cancers. Wants me to call Lazlo's vet about it tomorrow before we start using it.

Originally Posted by Violet

If it's more like lymphoma that might be good news in a way because lymphoma is more treatable than hemangiosarcoma or some of the other possibilities.

Laurie, I'm wondering, have you seen these case studies?
http://felinelymphomacaregivers.org/cases.html
I haven't. I don't know a thing about cancers other than brain, so I've got some work ahead of me. Thank you for the link!

Originally Posted by GailC

Laurie I am sending and hoping for the best for Lazlo. You know I understand how a major health situation can develop.
Hoping for the best. When Bobber was initially diagnosed with breast cancer I got lucky and had another (human) pathologist interpret the results (thanks to my sisters connections). Hopefully though you are very well versed in cat medical terms it will be thoroughly explained.
How is his RBC? With Nub-e's anemia, low RBC my vet was very reluctant to perform surgery due to potential clotting issues. Try to get a good read on this with all his anemia and other blood related problems.

You were here for me and Nub-e and you know I am here for you........
Hoping and praying for the best.
Thank you Gail.

Lazlo's hematocrit did improve a bit again, to 27% from 24%, so pretty good there. Not terrible. But the problem isn't that - Tuxie was put under for the bone marrow aspirate with a hematocrit of like 12% - the problem with Lazlo, and I'm pretty sure it was the same for Nub-e, is the low platelete count. Low RBCs aren't good - but if the blood won't coagulate (the low plateletes), that's the bigger risk (that they bleed out).

Further update:

They were able to do an aspirate (not a biopsy). Apparently results can be back faster. The vet's surgeon was there when we picked up Laz. He said they say 2-3 days for results just in case, but they're usually in the next day. So we'll see.

We called the feline oncologist. We can't schedule the appointment until we have the results - but they keep emergency appointments open pretty much every day. It is a LONG drive from us, but turns out that on Tuesdays the particular oncologist to which we were referred practices at an office that's only about 1 1/2 hours away, not the 2 1/2 we would have to drive. The vet's surgeon said that if the depo picks up Lazlo the way it has been, and he's eating or we're getting nutrition into him, he'd go for the later appointment with the shorter drive. So hopefully we'll be able to do that.

I learned how to do SubQ fluids, and we have a bag of saline or whatever it is. I'm to give him 50ml every other day.

I'm armed with a/d and Iam's "Maximum Calorie," and I'm to offer him food and/or syringe feed him 2ml every hour or two. There's very little room in his tummy, which is why he doesn't think he's hungry. So I'm to feed him little bits frequently, basically.

So right now, we wait. We take it one day at a time.

Through the tears, Gary got out that he does not want Lazlo to suffer, and he doesn't want him to feel like crap while we try to extend his life. We rescued these kitties to give them a better life than they would have had, but no matter how much we love them and want them to be with us forever, they won't be, and we've always known that, just never had to face it like this before.

Of course we'll consult with the oncologist. But chemo seems to be so hard on them... we'll just see. We may go the path of Amy's "Love and Cheese Danish" along with herbal treatment if it isn't going to make him feel like crap.

We'll see.

And who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky, and it'll surprise everyone and be like Carolina's friend's kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and Lazlo did eat almost 1/2 can of a/d on his own when we got home.
So there must be more room in there than they thought!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh, and Lazlo did eat almost 1/2 can of a/d on his own when we got home.
So there must be more room in there than they thought!
Wow that is alot!!
Just think calming thoughts while you wait for the results. Hard as that may be. I was checking my phone for missed called about a million times a day.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Sweetie
to you and Gary
. I am just sick with worry for you two and Lazlo. You did say something very profound in your earlier post and please tell yourself this........ You have given Lazlo a much better life than he ever would have had if not for you. You DID save Lazlo all of those years ago and he would not be the cat he is today without you and Gary. You took him in all those years back and each day of his life you give him your all. He couldn't have a more loving meowmy and dadowmy ???
. No matter what happens with the diagnosis, good or bad, he has the BEST in the world caring for him. Glad to hear he ate, and I loved the Cheese and Danish thread. I have Cheese and Danish days with Wilbur now too. We do what we can, right?? And nothing less
. I will send ALL of the vibes I can muster up tonight to all of you. TO LAZLO you are a little trooper, hang in there bud, help is on the way
Laurie, you will get to the bottom of this and if there is a way to save him, he will be saved

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He loooooooves to be brushed. Especially in the bathroom.
I got the "extra special brush," (just a large conair thing with soft plastic bristles LOL) and had a good 1/2 hour session with him purring and kneading after dinner.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww it is so relieving to know that he is home and that he ate
I hope the results are ready tomorrow so you can know what the next step is. Lots of hugs!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well, it's definitely better bad news than if it were hemangiosarcoma, and definitely better that it's his stomach, not his spleen.
There's that. Hopefully you'll get the results back and an action plan ASAP.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear of all of this- lots of for you, Gary, and Lazlo!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone so much.

I can't help regretting we didn't do the xray when we were at the vet 2 weeks ago. But there didn't appear to be a reason to do it then.

I haven't had to force feed him yet.
I just keep putting food down in front of him, and he eats at least some of it. He's eaten about 1.5 cans of a/d (and equivalent) and somewhere between 1/4C and 1/2C kibble in the last 18 hours. He didn't come in to sleep with us last night - but the bedroom was unusually full of cats last night for most of the night.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Thank you everyone so much.

I can't help regretting we didn't do the xray when we were at the vet 2 weeks ago. But there didn't appear to be a reason to do it then.

I haven't had to force feed him yet.
I just keep putting food down in front of him, and he eats at least some of it. He's eaten about 1.5 cans of a/d (and equivalent) and somewhere between 1/4C and 1/2C kibble in the last 18 hours. He didn't come in to sleep with us last night - but the bedroom was unusually full of cats last night for most of the night.
da klittehs know when da parents are stressed and were giving you extra kittiness to help

Glad Laz ate well yesterday, and am hoping that FF only is a once in a while thing.

for the results from the aspirate.

luvs ya girl. Laz I hope has loads of time left, and couldnt ask for better cat parents

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, Neoplasene has a very very herbal taste, we had to administer to Sammy twice a day with the syringe. The trick was to find a liquid he liked and we mixed the Neoplasene in a little bit of it. I used the juice from the Chicken and Duck Wellness pouches. He hated it anyway, and we administered it for six months...We gave it to him after a meal, not on an empty stomach.

I am glad to hear Laz is interested in food
For sure the other kitties know what is going on, no question about it. Did they gravitate towards Gary last night? I hope his headaches will not be aggravated by the sadness and worry

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, thank you so much.

Marina, unfortunately stress does aggravate them - and crying triggers them, so yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for Gary in more than just the Lazlo news.

I obviously didn't get the info from the vet right, because feeding him 2ml every 2 hours works out to about 6 cans of food a day!
We need to get some meat on his bones - but not all at once.
I looked up the feeding guide, and figured out what he should be eating IF he were a 12 pound cat (not the 10 he is now). Because he's also getting kibble, he only needs 1 3/4 - 2 cans a day.

It's driving the other cats nuts that he's getting fed so much - but his little tummy needs the frequent meals.
I did syringe feed him 50ml this morning, but when I put the bowl down in front of him after that, he ate the rest (about 1/8 can of Iams Maximum Calorie).

He claimed ownership of the paper bag we put down this morning.

susan_marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I just read this entire post and send Lazlo, you, and Gary lots of love. You were so helpful and supportive to me a few weeks ago when my cat was sick, and I truly appreciate you, your words of wisdom, and your genuine spirit.

I am so happy to hear that Lazlo is eating SO well!

You and your family are in my prayers. Hang in there and know many people are thinking of you and your little Lazlo.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Marina, unfortunately stress does aggravate them - and crying triggers them, so yesterday was a HORRIBLE day for Gary in more than just the Lazlo news.
I was afraid of that, poor Gary!!!

Sweet Pea is sending his love and best cat wishes to little Laz!!!

I chuckled when I read about the 6 cans

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
to Gary this morning!!! I hope he is having a better day. And you too, Laurie, love ya so much
and know that Lazlo has that fighting spirit! I can tell. He is LOVING all of the one-on-one attention and the fact that all of his brother's and sister's are jealous
. OH MY, six cans of A/D would do the trick for the weight, but what would come out the other end
!!!!! Glad he is eating and the A/D will give that boost he needs right now. He sounds so happy too having claimed that bag this morning, YOU GO LAZLO

Kitties DO know when we need them the most and that is why your bed was full of them last night
. Sending more prayers your way today, every minute. Will check back later too for Laz's test results to see if you were able to post them. We are getting ready to leave, but I will still try to get on to the site up there as well.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just catching up here....be strong, Laurie. Have faith.

You don't know until you know. I know it sounds trite, but I try to lean on that when I am in your shoes.

You all are in my prayers and thoughts. You are such quality people. Lazlo is so fortunate to have you on his side.