Mega massive vibes for Lazlo urgent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I might start biting my nails again LOL. I'm hoping the surgeon was right and we'll get those results today.

At the 1:30 meal, Laz only ate a little bit. So I tried not mixing water into the a/d this time, used the handle of a spoon to get it down the syringe without air pockets, and fed him 1.5ml by syringe. (Edited to add: it was 2.5ml. My mind is not functioning at peak capacity right at the moment
).
He's such a good boy. I know he's weak - but he's got enough fight in him to protest if he wants to LOL. I held his head, and squirted a little in his mouth at a time, let him swallow it. He really didn't seem to mind. Shelly was already done with his lunch, so watched all big-eyed.

I really can't thank everyone enough for the vibes and hugs, good thoughts and support. It means so much to me (and Gary, actually), you have no idea.

We're coming to terms with this. And as Farleyv says - we don't know until we know. And we don't have the results yet, so we don't know. But we're better prepared now, mentally, anyway.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I dashed home from work and looked up your thread. I cried last night thinking about you, Gary and Lazlo. He is the luckiest cat in the world to have you guys in his life. And he knows that! It does sound like he's a fighter, and more time with you is worth fighting for, I know!! I just think about how good you were to me when Bella died and I got so sick. I could never repay that kind of generosity. I know Lazlo is in good hands and you'll put his comfort before your pain. I just think about you and Gary feeling this fear and hurt that we've ALL felt before and there aren't any words of comfort I can give you. If you need ANYTHING please PM me--ANYTHING!! For now though please know you are in my thoughts and prayers every waking hour. Love you!! Cheryl

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Laurie. I'm so sorry Gary is not feeling well, but at least he had the kitties to help, they always me us feel better

I'm glad he is at least eating a little, he needs to be strong. I've been thinking of him and you and Gary all day and prayed for him like I pray for my Lucas.

Hope you get the results soon. I know how stressful that can be.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still thinking of you guys! It sounds like Lazlo is doing as well as he can be, and I'm hoping for good news with the test results. Hang in there!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Test results are in. It is lymphoma. She told us the good news is that of the cancers, it is more treatable (which I already know from you wonderful people!). The other thing working in Lazlo's favor is that it's not complicated with anything like peritonitis or FeLV. He's got the issue with the anemia, but maybe the herbals will help him like they have Chum.
He's on two to help build his blood, one is specifically for his platelets. The problem - it's such a large mass.

BUT, one thing at a time. They faxed over the results to the feline oncologist, so I can call first thing in the morning to schedule the appt. Vet agrees with surgeon - better the shorter drive on Tuesday than trying to get there tomorrow or Monday.

His appetite is waning already though.
I syringe fed him somewhere between 1/8 - 1/4 of a can of Iams Maximum Calorie this afternoon and this evening. She was ecstatic that it looks like I'll be able to get 1.5 cans/day in him without trouble. He sits and lets me squirt it in his mouth a little bit at a time - the first one he thrashes his head a little bit, but then he just eats it. When he's done, he gets up, walks away and starts cleaning. And he eats that much at each sitting.

But she did tell me to start him on Pepcid a/c yesterday, but it didn't "take." So we got it today, and started him on it this evening. Should help the ulcers. She wants me to start him on the appetite stimulant.

Do not start him on the Artemesian - it's for carcinoma, not lymphoma.

And since he's tolerating the pilling so well, I'm to get tumeric capsules or see if they have some type of curcumin supplement. I know they have at least tumeric at the health food store, I had Gary on them for a while. I know it's a strong anti-inflammatory. OK, just looked this up: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Trea...erals/turmeric

So that's on tomorrow's "to do" list.

And all these supplements are adjunct therapy to chemo if we can go or decide to go that route - no interaction problems.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, BTW, I really need to correct this. The syringe she gave me is NOT a 2ml syringe. It is a 6ml syringe. So when I thought I was giving him 2.5 because I gave him 2.5 syringe-fulls, I was giving him 18ml.

Good thing - it's closer to what he needs frequently LOL.

One can of a/d has 150ml. (http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-...re-canned.html). A 12 pound cat should be eating approximately 2.5 cans/day - but Lazlo isn't normally as active as other kitties (our cats always need less than the recommended amount), and he is eating kibble on his own. As he's eating somewhere between 40% - 50% of the kibble he needs for his DV, he needs about 60% of the recommended amount of the a/d.

2ml is next-to-nothing (I was thinking it was equivalent to oz., but it's not).

So just putting this out there in case someone stumbles on it and uses it as a feeding guide.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Laurie, I'm sorry it is lymphoma, but is like you said, we have to see the positive, at least it is treatable and you have to have faith, always.

I'm glad he is your kitty, it is so amazing that you have a plan and that you will be able to do everything in your power to help him.

I'll keep praying for you guys and for adorable Lazlo.

HUGs, tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, I just arrived at my dad's and raced to the computer to see an update on Laz. OK, well, now we know what you are dealing with and the good news is..... Lymphoma is treatable
!!! I know it is not the greatest of news, but it isn't the worst news either. I am seriously going through the same thing with Wilbur, although not cancer that we know of yet, but a terrible disease anyway.
I am glad there is something to go on now to help Lazlo AND this will help you to focus on treatment because you know exactly what he has now and sometimes that is the hardest part of any illness/disease, the not knowing what the **** it is. I will be checking on your thread all weekend and sending mega prayers to you, Gary and Lazlo.
And your other kitties, as I am sure they know something is up with their brother, Lazlo.
. Keep you chin up on this, you are taking such impeccable care of Laz and he knows this too. That alone will help him get through this ordeal. Lots of love to you all and mega prayers tonight I will be sending.
Love
, Lauren

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie, sorry that's it's lymphoma
but that's better than some of the other diagnosis. It's good that you have a plan in place and working towards it. Not only it will benefit Lazlo that you and Gary are being so systematic but it will help you go through the process (emotionally) in the coming days.
Am glad that you have Lazlo's eating and pilling under control - he is in the best of hands possible.
Sending tons of your way.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning Laurie, Lazlo and Gary!! Just want to check in and tell you my prayers are still going out to you!! Turtle is leaning over my shoulder as I type this. She just wants to tell Lazlo that he is loved very much.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever get sick, I would want someone like you fighting for me.

Knowledge is power. I know you will do all you can for Lazlo and that is a ton.

God bless you for all you do.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Laurie, your update is full of hope and positive energy and the one day at a time is the best approach the two of you could take. I know this will make for a long weekend, I know I would be counting the hours, but Tuesday will be here soon...

Laz is such a good little boy for you
Does he have more than one ulcer?

Wishing you all a peaceful day

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I'm praying very, very hard for all of you. I wish with all my heart I had the power to make all this go away for you, make it seem like a terrible bad dream that ends when you wake up so that you can go on with your life. Sadly, with lymphoma, that's not the way it goes.

Having lost more than one cat to gastrointestinal lymphoma over the years, please forgive me if I can't have anything encouraging to share with you. Buying more time with this terrible disease is the only thing one can hope for and thinking of the price our beloved baby has to pay for it must be a very important consideration.

One of my long-time vets refuses to recommend chemo for this disease because of the stress the treatments put on the cat. Her consideration is always for the cat, quality over quantity of life and the ultimate outcome which, sadly, no treatment can change.

I'm thinking, whatever you decide to do, if you can buy some time, possibly shrink the tumor with treatment and keep Lazlo eating, you will be doing all you can.

When eating slows down and it takes extraordinary effort to try to keep our baby eating, that's the time to stop and think about what's going on. And whether we're being kind to our baby by prolonging the suffering this horrible disease is causing.

I'm sending many, many prayers to you and Gary to be strong and to be able to get through this with God's help and guidance.

(((Hugs))) and much love

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie,
Just stopping by to give you a virtual hug
and drop you some virtual Love

Lazlo couldn't be in better hands.... In fact, no cats could ever be in better hands IMHO.
You have no idea how much I admire you... We will be here holding your hands through and through.... Be strong....

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Still sending lots of
and good for you and Gary and Lazlo. No advice, but I'll echo everyone else's sentiments that Lazlo couldn't be in better hands.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had chance to catch up with thread but wanted to give quick update. Called to schedule appt w oncologist. Had 12:20 today avail. Had to basically leave immediately. Bottom line, without chemo Laz probably has a month. They have advanced treatment schedule I'LL post later. With chemo there is 50/50 chance he beats it. About 15% of cats have problems w it but chemo in ppl = crappy quality of life. Not same in cat. So we decided to start and see. On way home, will write more later.

Hugs to all thank u so much for help and support.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Laurie - I've been gone for a few days & came home to this. I am so very very very sorry.

I keep thinking back to Goatie, the not eating, masses (in her case multiple small ones through various parts of her body), etc. I've been there - I didn't have the options you do (no chemo here & there's no way she would've survived).

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it works, in some cases, chemo can buy a LOT of time. I hope and pray it will work for Lazlo.

(Sadly I also know of cats who couldn't tolerate chemo at all.)

But Laurie, I'm also wondering about the blood thinning supplement you mentioned in an earlier post (post #66). Is there a chance it might also help? Based on info my sister-in-law sent me about a year ago when she had a very serious reason for finding all the info she possibly could on blood thinning foods, I'm thinking, there might be a valid reason for looking at that supplement closely and whether it could indeed be used for a cat. (I don't know anyone who has any experience with it when it comes to cats.)

This is the info (one of many, many articles) she sent me
http://www.ctds.info/natthinners.html

If you scroll down far enough, you'll find the cancer connection.