Mega massive vibes for Lazlo urgent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, tried KFC.
None of our kitties (until Billy) have every been real big "people food" eaters. Most of them do enjoy chicken and steak, and Tuxie went nuts for shrimp (and the occasional Cheeto LOL). Shelly's the only one that likes cheese. And Billy eats ANYTHING.
Lazlo and Flowerbelle are the pickiest. Of course.

He is doing a little better today (appetite stimulant day). He enjoyed a little chicken babyfood (1/2 a jar!), some Natural Balance Tuna with Shrimp, a little Weruva Asian Fusian (Tuna & Shirasu), and a little Weruva Mideast Feast (with Tilapia). He's also eaten a little kibble (Before Grain chicken).

I have already given him 1 can of a/d today (5.5 oz). I'm still going to give him another 3 ounces (I feed 1.5 oz at any given feeding).

His holistic vet wants me to talk with his oncologist on Tuesday about maybe changing the anti-nausea med. He's currently on Cerenia, in an off-label method. It's supposed to be given in a larger dose for 4 or 5 days on then 4 or 5 days off; perhaps switching to Reglan. I'm to stop using the Gui Pi Tang and give him Jade Lady (Jade Woman Decoction, otherwise known as Yu-Nu-Jian). Since I'm syringe feeding him, I can just add it to that (it's a rather large capsule, like the Gui Pi Tang, and I wasn't completely comfortable giving them to him, especially when I don't get them going down the long way).

Lazlo needs a dental and has gingivitis. The non-anesthetic dental people will be back in October (hopefully Laz, Chum and Spook will be going). But Jade Lady is an appetite stimulant, that has the added benefit of also treating gingivitis and stomatitis, so should be very helpful to Laz (though doesn't work right away).
(Jade Woman Decoction: http://www.chinesemedicinetools.com/...ral/yu-nu-jian)

She also told me that if he likes the Fortiflora (which did encourage him to eat), though obviously I should go slow until I know how it's affecting what comes out, it's OK to add up to 1/2 a package on each meal IF it's helping him eat and not giving him diarrhea. (I did try smaller amounts, but it took that much to get him interested).

It is possible it's his sense of smell. If that's the case, then when we're done with chemo, his smell will come back. She does think it more likely that he needs a new anti-nausea med.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - I forgot about fortiflora!!!! I hate the ingredients - the first being animal digest, but it is trully irresistible, AND it is a probiotic, so he should be ok as far as diarrhea goes...... Thing is...... completely addictive!

Glad he is doing better today

Reglan is really good too!

GTG now - Jumping in them plane tomorrow 10am - getting ready to go out with some high school friends I haven´t seen for 20 years! Can you believe it?

Had a BLAST - will text will from airport - love, hugs, MASSIVE vibes,
Me

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have fun Carolina, and SAFE FLIGHT!

Yeah, the fortiflora... I was scared to use it, because when we tried it for Chum (which is why I have the mostly unused box) it gave him EXPLOSIVE diarrhea. So far, so good with Laz. We'll know for sure by tomorrow LOL.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's hoping the Fortiflora is working for Lazlo

BTW
Where can you buy Fortiflora? This might be really good for Wilbur.

Massive, gigantic for Lazlo today

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Have fun Carolina, and SAFE FLIGHT!

Yeah, the fortiflora... I was scared to use it, because when we tried it for Chum (which is why I have the mostly unused box) it gave him EXPLOSIVE diarrhea. So far, so good with Laz. We'll know for sure by tomorrow LOL.
I hope the fortiflora works

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought Fortiflora at the vet, but it's not a prescription thing, I'm sure you can find it at amazon.

Of course, the day before his next treatment, Lazlo's feeling a bit better! He's eating more at each meal, not spending as much time under the chair... was asleep on the back of the couch with the biggest smile today!

He's eating 3oz on his own, and I've given him 3oz so far. And he's had a jar of chicken baby food (100 calories!) - not all in one go, but in 1/3s. So I might skip syringing any more today - give the guy a break!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY - He is really eating alot on his own today - Fantastic news
. I forgot about baby food!!! Might work for Wilbur too. I will add it to my arsenal of foods. Wilbur has his own cabinet
!!!

Much luck tomorrow LAZLO baby !!!!!!!!!!! Loads of LOVE

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, treatment day update.

Doc didn't want to up the anti-nausea med or switch to a different one. He wanted to adjust the chemo. Lazlo received the Velban, but .35 instead of 0.40.

Lazlo did lose some weight (about 3.5 ounces), though he's still (just) over 11 pounds.
I'm really pleased that's all he lost, and Doc was happy. Otherwise, his numbers are all steady/stable.

The cytoxan was not administered there today, they sent me home with 2 pills. That would be a dose of 50mg instead of the 60mg he received last week.

So we'll see! He was very alert and perky this morning, hungry. And he didn't go hide when we let him out of the crate, he wanted to eat. I still had to give him the pred and the mirtazipine (app stimulant) (I gave him the anti-nausea med, Cerenia, before we left). So I gave him the mirtazipine before he ate, and the pred after. He had half a jar of babyfood and a little kibble. And then he went and had a good, long groom, and then went to watch leaves fall out the window.

Then it was time for the mid-day meal. So I syringe fed him 1/2 ounce, give him the cytoxan, then syringed another 1/2 ounce instead of just letting him eat. This way I know it's nicely sandwiched between a good amount of food.

I was instructed to wear a glove while administering the cytoxan (which I did). And I'm to keep the litter boxes scooped really well for the next few days. Not a problem.

The best thing? After I syringe fed him, I fed the other cats - and he wanted more food! He ate about another ounce on his own!
THEN... he wanted brushies!
Other than with Gary at night, he hasn't wanted a good long brush session with me recently (
), but he did after lunch, so we brushed away some more cancer.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELL this news just sound's fantastic.
My goodness, you are just the best meowmy ever. Lazlo is SO lucky to have you and Gary. I love how you sandwiched the pill in between the two syringe feedings. It really sounds to me that Lazlo is a very happy, confident and relaxed baby with this whole routine now.
. And the fact that he wanted to eat some more when his bros and sis' were eating is such a great, great sign. I think it is just so heartwarming that each and everyday Lazlo is receiving so much love at home, I truly believe that is helping him pull through this.

KEEP UP THE GREAT PROGRESS, LAZLO
. Makes mommy and daddy happy and all of us too

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, great report today. Boy, mirtazapine sure doesn't stimulate my DH's appetite, but glad it's working for Lazlo!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Yes, great report today. Boy, mirtazapine sure doesn't stimulate my DH's appetite, but glad it's working for Lazlo!
Online searches turn up a REALLY mixed bag (and some scary stories) of mirtazipine. I was glad I didn't know in advance what they were going to give him and I looked it up after I'd given it to him.
It doesn't always help his appetite, especially if he's nauseous. It does make him come ask for the food, but not necessarily eat it.

But we're having a very good day today!

to all!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OK, treatment day update.

Doc didn't want to up the anti-nausea med or switch to a different one. He wanted to adjust the chemo. Lazlo received the Velban, but .35 instead of 0.40.

Lazlo did lose some weight (about 3.5 ounces), though he's still (just) over 11 pounds.
I'm really pleased that's all he lost, and Doc was happy. Otherwise, his numbers are all steady/stable.

The cytoxan was not administered there today, they sent me home with 2 pills. That would be a dose of 50mg instead of the 60mg he received last week.

So we'll see! He was very alert and perky this morning, hungry. And he didn't go hide when we let him out of the crate, he wanted to eat. I still had to give him the pred and the mirtazipine (app stimulant) (I gave him the anti-nausea med, Cerenia, before we left). So I gave him the mirtazipine before he ate, and the pred after. He had half a jar of babyfood and a little kibble. And then he went and had a good, long groom, and then went to watch leaves fall out the window.

Then it was time for the mid-day meal. So I syringe fed him 1/2 ounce, give him the cytoxan, then syringed another 1/2 ounce instead of just letting him eat. This way I know it's nicely sandwiched between a good amount of food.

I was instructed to wear a glove while administering the cytoxan (which I did). And I'm to keep the litter boxes scooped really well for the next few days. Not a problem.

The best thing? After I syringe fed him, I fed the other cats - and he wanted more food! He ate about another ounce on his own!
THEN... he wanted brushies!
Other than with Gary at night, he hasn't wanted a good long brush session with me recently (
), but he did after lunch, so we brushed away some more cancer.
That is great news

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is for many, many good days with Laz, I am praying for him ever day
I am thrilled that he eats so well!!!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Laurie, it may be a roller coaster but it surely seems that Lazlo is moving in the right direction

Chemo is so rough but you have a little trooper there and he is lucky to gave the parents he has.

Continued vibes for little Laz

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

We had another good day!

Lazlo is active, happy... and eating!
(knock wood! LOL)
I'm so glad to read this

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not posting on here a lot, but I am keeping up with reading the thread. I am so happy Lazlo's taking all this really well.
Keep on brushing away that cancer...