meawing until she is held by someone

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my baby kitten Jeff, is like a spoiled brat xD he doesn't like being left alone. but when I put him in his box, he starts to meow until you hold him or get him out of the box. he falls asleep when he is gone eating. He does seem to bite or suck onto skin and clothes, maybe nursing in his thoughts. 

I am new to all this, but i am doing my best to help him grow and survive. Thnks in advance :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you tell us how old the kitten is and where he came from?

Has he been the vet for a complete check up?

Welcome to the worlds of cats.  Young kittens are needy.  They are like having a baby.  They take time and effort.  Please refrain from calling him a spoiled brat.  He is a young kitten and looking for love and looking for guidance from you.  He is not acting a certain way to upset you or to be a brat. 

I hope you will provide some more information so we can help you out.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Information on his age would really help. If he is still pretty young he could be missing being around his mom and litter mates and wanting comfort because of that or he could be feeling too cold and want warmth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was only kidding when I said spoiled brat xD I love him like he's my son :D he's so cute <3 if it makes you guys feel better, "spoiled kid" :3 

Well, he's from a cat breeder near my home, he's about 25 days old and really like to be held or taken care of :) just like being around mommy. I made him a worm shirt, but he takes it off as he walks more. He's shivering a lot, that's why i put worm clothes pieces and made him that one. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, to see how things will go and get him his special cat milk. 

Thanks so much for replying :) 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is shivering she probably does need more heat. It would be a good idea to raise the temperature of your home and put a heating pad set on low under a blanket under part of her box. If you don't have a heating pad, you can fill a sock up with rice and heat this in the microwave to keep the box warmer.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He also may be hungry! Have you managed to feed him anything if you don't have the special kitten milk yet?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kitten is too young to be away from his mother.  He shouldn't even begin weaning until he is 4 weeks old.  He is just beginning to regulate his body heat.  Can you return him to his mother for a few more weeks.  Offer to pay for his food and stuff if you need to.

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, i am feeding him "normal milk for now" thnk God no side effects, he's been with me for only two days now. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some links you'll find useful  These articles can be found in the Preg Cats and KIttens forum.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

He will need KMR (Kitten milk replacer)  powder form, Pet Ag is recommended and can be found at the vet, pet stores, Walmart.  You can mix it with wet food or made a mush out of dry food.  He is too young to eat hard dry food.

I can't believe the breeder  let this kitten go so young.  Normally the breeders let the kittens go at around 12 weeks.  The mothers teach the kittens manners and how to use the litter box.  They have also had the first round of shots, been wormed and spayed or neutered.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, i am feeding him "normal milk for now" thnk God no side effects, he's been with me for only two days now. 
You can not give the kitten regular milk.  Lactous free full fat or regular goats milk.  Cow milk will give the kitten diarrhea. 

@StefanZ  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He should probably not be eating regular milk. Goat's milk is okay if you can't find KMR anywhere, but cow milk is not good. He needs food and fast probably. He is likely starving and this is why he is always crying.

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to convince my mom to take him back, but she insisted she raise too many to handle things well. And to be honest, I am worried about little Jeff's health. Maybe I should sneak him to his mom *smart me* tomorrow I will see what the vet will do (don't know if he will give a shot or not=breathe and something to not have it cz us problems slash illness 0.o I think he is still young for it. But a check up is of course necessary) 

Desperately hoping he relays on himself for eliminating soon cz he's almost ticking his first month. that is the one prob i am facing, thnk Godness my sister is doing things way better than I am. aside that Jeff is okay :)

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is eating well, no bad effects, I will check for Goat milk or Cats milk, cz they vet is the only one I can find in all lebanon :/ (we don't have these options,that's why i am despite. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give him a bit of karo syrup or honey diluted w/water to give him a little energy.  You can also give him some greek yogurt, unflavored if possible.

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Desperate* 

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thnk so much :) i will search for any of this :) thnks everyone 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can weigh the kitten he needs 8 ml/cc of KMR/or whatever you are feeding per ounce of weight.  Sorry not sure of the gram conversions. I will look.

You can try watering down wet cat food and letting the kitten lick it off your fingers.  

Here is a  link to someone hand raising a kitten from birth.  For later reading   http://www.thecatsite.com/t/297529/found-abandoned-kitten

I copied this from another thread.

Have you thought about making your own formula?There is a recipe on this site that is WONDERFUL for kits.I made it for my orphan babies and they did good on it.
My Vet has a slightly different one and I tried that one also.My babies loved them BOTH!!!

8 oz. can of evaporated milk

8 oz. water----I just filled up the evaporated milk can with water to measure that

1 tsp. of light Karo/corn syrup

1 large egg yolk

mix well and feed to the babies.
(I added a tsp of plain vanilla yogurt also)

good luck

@ShadowsRescue   can we move this thread to Preg Cats and Kitten Care?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You can not give the kitten regular milk.  Lactous free full fat or regular goats milk.  Cow milk will give the kitten diarrhea. 

@StefanZ  
I agree. It may be true it happens kittens manage cow milk, especielly full fat, but it has risks and we dont recommend it.

Have a lactose free full fat, if you cant get anything else.

Full fat goat milk is quite better than those.

Or the KMR mentioned earlier in the tread.

So, get home full fat goat milk or this KMR.

If you cant, your last line of defence will be lactose free full fat cow milk.   Regular cow milk just if totally desperate....  Risky, as many cats dont manage this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

You can give him a bit of karo syrup or honey diluted w/water to give him a little energy.  You can also give him some greek yogurt, unflavored if possible.
Turkish youghurt is also good, if you prefer it.

jeff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)