Maverick's litter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some of you may already know that maverick was expecting-

well it happened today!

at 5am this morning Maverick gave birth to a huge black kitten.

just a quick run down of the birth:

at 11pm her waters broke/she lost her plug. (AFTER desperate houswives thank god!
) so i carried her upstairs wrapped in a towel to her birthing box.

she went to sleep straight away and i stayed up until 2am in case she needed me. at 3am she woke me up and started to have contractions. she curled her little body around me and whimpered a bit but was really brave. finally, at 5am she crawled onto my lap and pop! out came the kitten.

she knew what to do straight away and cleaned and tended to her baby.

mother and kit are doing fine, baby is suckling and Mav had had a big meal of kitten food and chicken.

i've put fresh bedding in her baby box and shes very settled in there. its so sweet, she'll cry until i go and sit with her and she shows me her baby. she's torn between wnting to follow me around as usual and being with her baby.

the kitten is as yet un-named. it is jet black just like the mummy.

will post photos in a week or so. any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Nicky

disclaimer: Maverick will be spayed as soon as baby is weaned. this kitten was a product of her escape over christmas. she is on high quality kitten food and has been vet checked the whole way though her pregnancy. and we are keeping the kitten!

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah!!!! Hope to see pictures soon!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

aaaaaaw gratz grandma!! Surely there will be more than one though? I'm so pleased for you - you must be so proud!!
nope, vet said to expect only one which is perfect.

such a cute little thing. any ideas for names?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaah.... say names? I dunno... I've got screeds and screeds of fantastic names if you'd like a schnookie? What I like to do is look at their colour - and/or personality - and then choose a name that means something in conncetion with it. There are some fab ones in my lists... I'll PM them to you if you're interested

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes please! its my turn to name it as my boyfriend named maverick. was thinking of either Kachchi- punjabi for adorable (well ner enough) or Tiamat, the dragon from the cartoon series 'dungeons and dragons'

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats, what a great ending to all that waiting and a new begining as a new life comes into your home and your hearts. I am looking forward to the pictures also!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats to Mav... glad to hear everything's fine! As for names... I would recommend waiting til the personality of the little kitten develops - there are so many times where I wish I would've waited before naming Baylee!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope, its only 12 hours old. i'll have to ask the vet when we go for check up in a few days

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok... well you seem to be leaning towards Japanese and chinese kind of names... so how's about I PM a short list of just that kind of name, for both sexes
then you've got a starting point
I've found some really nice ones so far....

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't that unusual to have only one kitten? Congratulations! Looking forward to the pic too!!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes please. my boyfriends been through a really tough time lately. it was his gran's funeral today. i am hoping this will cheer him up a little and give him something to look forward to.

i rang him at 5am with the news and he was all choked! he rang me back at 9am and said he'd been too excited to sleep.

Maverick is our joint cat, our babty. it was kind of bittersweet that she had to be born today.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Isn't that unusual to have only one kitten? Congratulations! Looking forward to the pic too!!
i think so. but the people i got her of said her mum, aunt, gran and every other cat only had 1-3 kittens in a litter. and never more than 2 survived

the vet told us it was only one so i dont think there are any others lurking in there.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats!
I love black kitties, I have two.
She actually gave birth in your lap!? Wow! She sure must love
you. My 2 black kitties are Marcellus and Lewis....I like to name my kitties after historical figures or book characters. Enjoy the new baby.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wanted to name him/her after shakespeare characters or greek myths but not sure. guess i'll have to wait until i know the sex or its personality is a bit more developed.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
of course, its too cute to re-home! i kept it quiet coz even the vet wasnt too sure if it was a real or phantom pregnancy. thats why i was so concerned about fleas! did you see the kitten on animal hospital who died through a flea infestation susan? so sad! *shivers*