Marble and her pregnancy: Advice is appreciated.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found with my cats you could apply for a Care Credit. I did that with my vet and was approved. I only use it for my cats and boy does it help. I just maxed it out with Zander this week, but I would do it again to save her life.

It wouldn't hurt to see if the vet will accept it. Some times you can even apply right there in the office and know if you will be approved or not. It's worth taking a chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will look into it tonight and see what i can do. Tomorrow we are going to the vet at banfield. Hopefully we can just induce her or do a c-section if need be.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you heading to St. Pete tomorrow?

How's Marble doing now? Any more signs of labor or discharge?

Last edited:

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i am and no there's no change. My boyfriend said she stopped leaking milk and her teats are completely soft again.
At this point, i feel i must ask, but do you think she would still be capable of fostering?
I only ask because i have a strong feeling that her litter will not make it being inside of her this long.
She's not showing any signs of lethargy or fever from an infection so i think she'll be okay for the night but if that changes, we will take her to urgent care immediately.

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hope I'm wrong though and that they are as strong as i felt them to be a few days ago and that they're just in a weird position or she needs help being induced. I really do hope it's not anything serious but I'm trying to prepare myself for whatever is going to happen.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to TCS!

Marble has a very pregnant tummy and is a very pretty calico!

Based on the dates you provided, she is due in about 10 days to two weeks.

I think you need to take Marble to the vet right away and ask about her seizures. The vet may be able to give her medicine to control them.

The labor and delivery process may or may not aggravate her condition that is causing the seizures, which is why the vet can give you advice on what may be causing them.

On the chance that Marble has any issues with nursing or caring for her kittens after they are born, I suggest that you purchase a can of powdered KMR by PetAg from your vet, a pet store, or Walmart, and pick up a 1mL syringe from a pharmacy in case you need to supplement the kittens.

Because Marble has lived outside most of her life, she may have experienced an infection that has caused a neurological problem. Do you know if she has ever had shots?

I am glad she is now an indoor cat. Due to her seizures she should not be an outdoor cat again. She sounds very sweet and will hopefully make a great mom to healthy kittens.

She needs lots of kitten chow and wet food, and you can give her a daily dish of KMR to drink for extra calcium. A raw egg yolk mixed into her wet food will provide extra protein

Please let us know what the vet says and how Marble is doing with her pregnancy. Do you plan to spay her once her kittens are weaned?
I read that raw egg is a no-no because of salmonella. Am I right? Or have I got it wrong?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In your case, because your cat is older and has seizures, I would not recommend fostering babies if her kittens do not make it.

If you want a kitten, I suggest you adopt one from a shelter after we know what is going on with Marble. There are tons of unwanted kittens in need of homes.

I am still holding out hope for Marble and her kittens at this point.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the kittens don't survive and she is grieving, you could consider adopting an older kitten about 7 or 8 weeks.  Another member's cat took to an older kitten and the kitten was still young enough to need comfort suckling and mothering.

But I am still hoping for a happy outcome here.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do hope your kittens are ok! Sending good vibes to you and Marble.

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is okay we tried to take her to one vet today but they could not see her until tomorrow And wanted to charge 300 for xrays alone.
I made an appointment with another vet at 4, we will see how everything goes. Hopefully nothing bad. I tried talking to my bf about care credit but he won't do it because we are already stretched thin right now. And i can't apply myself because i have a bad credit score And will not be approved.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
$300 for x-rays is way too much!

Is your appt. in Tampa this afternoon?

Is Marble having any labor at all?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think x-rays are even necessary! They need to induce or do a c-section I would think.

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went to vet and everything is fine. She's dilating and having steady discharge. She should have them by Monday. If not, bring her back in and they'll Induce her after looking her over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So she IS dilating and having discharge. She sure is having an extra long pregnancy, but I'm relieved they feel like she's fine.

Were they able to detect heartbeats and movement?

I'm sure you have peace of mind now too! :)

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wrong And today is a tragic day. After we went to the vet and came home to drop her off so we could grocery shopping And run errands, we came home and found that she'd had the kittens while we were gone. There are two so far and They did not make it. I am devastated because i tried everything i was able to do to make sure that she and them would be okay. Adding that the vet said she was fine and nothing was wrong only made it more painful. I do not blame the vet nor do i blame marble. I am just upset with myself feeling like there couldve been another way even though we had no financial ability to get her to the vet until today..
Im only sorry that she went through this and i will make sure she never has to again. I'll be making an appointment to get her spayed as soon as possible.
Still, i want to thank you all for being there for marble in her time of need and i am sincerely grateful for the advice and lessons i have gained from you all. I will still post about marble but i will most likely start a new thread after this one gets closed.
Again thank you for being there for marble and i during this emotionally difficult time.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Maybe marble knew something you didn't... She might have waited for you to leave before having the kittens. Hope marble is doing well and you are doing ok too! Don't be too hard on yourself ((hugs)) it's obvious how much you cared for her.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! It isn't your fault, you did the best you could.  I sincerely hope that the remaining kittens are born healthy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M mageris

I am so sorry. I was just thinking about you and Marble.

You did do everything you both knew to do and could do within your financial ability.

These things happen, sad as it is.

You can continue posting about Marble on this thread if you'd like, that way her whole story is in one place.

Do you feel like she has anymore kittens to deliver?

You'll need to let her milk dry up for a couple of weeks and then get her spayed. Poor gal.

Last edited:

mageris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there is any. My bf said there still feels like another but we also only found 1 placenta which she ate. We do not know if she ate the other and it's just her stomach we feel or another kitten even. Shes still contracting somewhat so i don't know. We weren't even able to figure out if the kittens were born dead or alive.