manicure pics...

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pink and purple is really cute together!

As for the extra polish on the water, what I do is leave my finger in the water for about 15-20 seconds and just blow gently on the surface polish to make sure its all dry...then clean it up. If its not try, its really hard to get it all. Also, it helps a bit if you pull your finger up from the water with your finger pointing straight down.

As for the thin lines of sparkly stuff, I just put it down in small, thick dots, then used my thumb nail to push it and mold it into a straight line. If I ever get brave enough, I may make a couple tutorials on the more challenging stuff. You can get it perfect if you have the time. Took me over an hour per hand to get it just the way I wanted.

Another trick for getting the tips with a straight line. Scotch tape. I shape it around the tip then paint, wait for it to dry then slowly peel the tape off. Then again, you can always get the little manicure stickers to get them perfect.

http://salondemaria.info/FrenchManicure

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

The pink and purple is really cute together!

As for the extra polish on the water, what I do is leave my finger in the water for about 15-20 seconds and just blow gently on the surface polish to make sure its all dry...then clean it up. If its not try, its really hard to get it all. Also, it helps a bit if you pull your finger up from the water with your finger pointing straight down.

As for the thin lines of sparkly stuff, I just put it down in small, thick dots, then used my thumb nail to push it and mold it into a straight line. If I ever get brave enough, I may make a couple tutorials on the more challenging stuff. You can get it perfect if you have the time. Took me over an hour per hand to get it just the way I wanted.

Another trick for getting the tips with a straight line. Scotch tape. I shape it around the tip then paint, wait for it to dry then slowly peel the tape off. Then again, you can always get the little manicure stickers to get them perfect.

http://salondemaria.info/FrenchManicure
Thats why I use the straw, seems to work very well! And very quick!
For my shatter tips I used painters tape to mark off the lines! It seemed to come off a little easier than scotch tape!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to get some painters tape then. I have to take the scotch tape off really slowly and carefully, otherwise I end up peeling off the clear coat.

I think I am getting a bit too involved in this whole nail art thing. I am going to get a practice hand off ebay and some nails and start working on more designs.
At least that will give me an excuse to buy more polish and some art deco polishes too.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have mine done since my hands shake sometimes and I hate polishing the table and my legs.

I have "Shellac" brand, it's a UV gel, that makes my nails nice and strong!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Edit: I was given some sparkly nail polish. It seemed a bit over the top to do my nails completely in it...so I tried this and I love it!
I used to do stuff like that. I've also used a jewel and made a "ring" on my ring finger. People thought it was cute. hehe I briefly looked on photobucket for a pic; but I'm too tired to search much. Any other pics aren't on this computer anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so excited!! I just did my first successful water marbling!! I didn't do anything special with the swirls, just the most basic thing I could think of, and I was also kind of experimenting so it came out different for the first two nails...

I think I really need to chill with all this nail stuff
Seriously, I feel like I'm becoming so superficial, with the writing of my blog too which all I've been writing about is make up, nails and putting pics up, even though originally it was supposed to be about Jake and other stuff too...
And it's all just materialistic and I'm just not sure if that's what I'm about, even though there's nothing really wrong with being materialistic I have a feeling like that's just not me. Anyway, end of ramble
I am proud of having gotten a pretty good result with the water marbling though!!

Edit: Jordi, do you still have a blog?? If so give me the link so I can link to it...I remember your food blog and I really liked reading it.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really into nails too. I don't think it makes you materialistic. It's just a fun hobby and a chance to be creative.

I like those shades of pink together and you got fancy with your thumb at least. The good thing is with a top coat on you can get a week or so out of the nails before they start to chip and look bad. So it doesn't have to be an every day thing.

I try to do my nails no more than twice a week. I am going through polish remover like crazy. Good thing the stuff from the dollar store works well.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I am embarrassed to say I've done my nails every day for the past month, but that's just with one color polish..Sometimes twice a day
... I used to do them every 3 days or so. The thing is I've also been acquiring more and more nail polish. Now I have around 95 bottles, just counted them today.... I think I need an intervention

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am really into nails too. I don't think it makes you materialistic. It's just a fun hobby and a chance to be creative.
I agree. I enjoy having my nails done, I go every 2 weeks, (by that time I look like I dig ditches with my hands) It's a small pleasure that makes me happy-harmless and fun.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry these aren't clearer. These are my $5 special! The salon by me only charges $5 for polish. They are my real nails. I don't do acrylics since my own are unbelievably tough.

Purple polish with glitter.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like the same color thats on my nails now. (I love your ring!)

Speaking of acrylics, I was watching a bajillion videos on how to do acrylic nails and I am going to get a starter kit and learn how to do them. It looks so fun!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Edit: Jordi, do you still have a blog?? If so give me the link so I can link to it...I remember your food blog and I really liked reading it.
Nothing wrong with enjoying something! I actually ended up giving up the website address because we are registering a new photography site. I may try to make another one in the near future and just use one of the free services!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to Target tonight and they had the salon henson Salon Effects on sale so I grabbed a pack! I'm not 100% sold on them, but it may have been because I am really shaky today or because I was paying more attention to Dr Who than I was my nails
But oh well! here they are:

I really like the effect of them! Just not sure about the method! We will see how long they last!

Also I made a little organizer for my nail polishes. Just a cheap drawer set from target $7 and some scrapbook stickers $5 bucks or so! And I think it is adorable and awesome!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was a snake skin effect at first. Its pretty cool though!. I saw those at WalMart a while back and almost got some. They had pink camo and fell in love. I might grab them this week and see how they look. Certainly easier than trying to paint camo myself.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My marbling attempt kind of failed terribly I didnt watch any videos just jumped straight in

So I have a turquoise base coat and shatter polish on top

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

That's awesome!! Makes me want to peek inside to see what colors you have there
I'll take a pic of my stash in a bit and post it here.
I used to have all my nail polishes out on a bookshelf, but then I put them away in a plastic drawer type thing, similar to the one you have that sits in my closet. Much better than having them out and itching to do my nails each time I glanced that way ..

As far as the Sally Hansen sticker things I doubt I'll be able to put them on without messing up, but I do think they are really fun!
I've sort of given up on marbling, because it just never turns out too great ....But I did pick up a nice tip from this thread: using scotch tape to do a french manicure! I used to do it while using the paper stickers they sell at the store specifically for that, and those always made it messy, but I tried it with regular scotch tape and it works amazingly!

ETA: My shatter polish went bad :/ I have no idea why!! OPI polishes are supposed to be good quality...Maybe it's because I took it on a plane with me, and the temperature change did it...

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha I can do that!

Black & White drawer (also has nudes and greys)

Color drawer

Misc drawer.

Let me know if you want any specific color names!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I see a few! Could you tell me the names of these, please.

Here is a picture of my growing collection. Not a huge variety of colors yet but I will get a couple more this week.

Here is my latest design.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ooh, I see a few! Could you tell me the names of these, please.
Top one with grey handle: ORLY Orange Punch. Its a very bright orange in person. (Sally Beauty Supplies)
Light pink color: Sinful Colors Glass Pink (Walgreens less than $2 I think)
Coralish color: Fresh Paint Papaya (Five Below - type of discount store $2)
Turquoise color: Sinful Colors Gorgeous (Walgreens less than $2)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous colors, ladies!! I love Glass Pink by Sinful Colors, that's one I reach for a lot when I want a color that's not too bright!
Today I have a job interview, and I am wearing Essie's ballet slippers on my nails. It's a light nude, and I was just thinking that this will probably also be the color I'll go for when I'm a bridesmaid to my best friend next month...I just love classy and nude colors almost as much as bright ones!

Here is my stash, I'm almost embarassed that I've indulged too much..I wish I could show you all the colors up close, but that would take forever

Here is Essie's Ballet Slippers, sorry for the sloppy application. You really can't see the mistakes too much in real life

Jordi, I want to know the name of the color you had on your toes that was really bright pink! Yesterday I picked up a neon orange from Milani, I hope it glows like that in the light too