Mama loves her kittens but has little milk

goreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two weeks ago, my roommate brought in a stray we'd seen for a while, and she was very pregnant. We got her to a vet for some care and have been keeping her isolated from the other cats since then in the bathroom. Sunday morning she gave birth - pretty easy labor, ate all the gross stuff. Midday I started thinking the kittens were being awfully loud and active for that age, and after watching for a while, decided to take them to a vet because I didn't see the kitten nursing well.

The news was good/bad - she does have some milk, but it's very, very little, and most of her nipples don't seem to be producing. The kittens did manage to latch and nurse enough to get that first batch of milk, but she's not producing enough. She is doing her best to be a good mama though, engaging with them and grooming/stimulating/trying to nurse them.

So for now we're supplementing with kmr. Every couple of hours I go try to feed everyone. Some are better about nursing from the bottle than others, but I feel like I'm still struggling with getting the technique right. I've been going off the kitten lady's info but it seems like even when the milk should be flowing through, it will suddenly stop for no reason I can see, and then the kitten stops nursing on it and doesn't want to try again. It's the canned stuff, not powdered. Sometimes their bellies feel full, but other times they don't, and they still won't nurse. They do latch onto mom and I think must still be getting something from her? But it's very hard to tell. One in particular seems to spend a lot of time screaming and crawling all over mom which makes me worry she's too hungry, and she's the worst at bottle feeding. I am weighing, but not sure how accurate the numbers I'm getting are - they seem to be going up and down on the same kitten?

A lot of the info out there seems to be for orphaned kittens or kittens that are fine with mom, and this is in between, and I'm not sure how much I should be doing or quite what to watch for - I've seen mama licking their butts like she's supposed to, but haven't seen any evidence of elimination ... but then I'm not sure what I'm looking for either. They're getting some food in them for sure, but I don't know how to measure if it's enough/timing, with how they're still getting some from mama as well. I've been trying to check and feed throughout the night, but some people are telling me that's unneeded? (Gosh I'd love to sleep, but would feel awful if they went downhill.)

The worst news was that one kitten had a severe cleft palate, and we ended up putting her to sleep. The vet didn't seem optimistic, and the extra level of work for so long until an expensive surgery that might not work - it was awful, but we didn't think it was something we could handle, and no one local was willing to help. Better to let her go while she's ok than wait until she's in poor health and hurting. Still really second guessing that as it was incredibly heartbreaking.

I'm working from home due to the virus stuff, so I can be checking and feeding every few hours at least. I've dealt with kittens before, but they were all either with healthy moms or above five weeks. Mama cat is very high strung too and needs a lot of coaxing to eat and drink. I feel like maybe I'm freaking out overly much, but I'd also hate to underreact, and losing the one kitten has me extra freaked out as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like you may need a different brand of nipple, and a syringe? For the one that's struggling, try some warm slightly diluted honey and rub on it's gums. It may help with a little extra energy boost.

From catsknowme catsknowme in another thread;
are you using the mini Miracle Nipple? my experience is that they are much, much easier for the kittens to use. I prefer to use my own syringes because the one that comes with the nipple isn't marked.

From jefferd18 jefferd18

Turn the bottle upside down and allow a drop of formula to come out. Place the bottle nipple in the kitten's mouth and gently move it back and forth, holding the bottle at a 45-degree angle to keep air from getting into the kitten's stomach. This movement should encourage the kitten to start eating.

Also, as you know, be sure to keep them warm 😊

I've been trying to check and feed throughout the night, but some people are telling me that's unneeded?
They really need the supplemental feedings so those people would be incorrect.

RIP sweetheart babycat. You had loving, caring, compassionate people watching over you❣

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re doing great. I know it’s stressful. :alright: If Mom is licking their bottoms, you may not see them eliminate because mom is washing it up as soon as it happens. Feed babies in the same position that they would be in while nursing mom. On their belly and not their back.
If you can use a scale to weigh the babies it will allow you to be sure they are getting enough nourishment. A scale that weighs in grams.
I know others with kitten experience will be along to add tips but keep posting with any concerns or questions. Thank you for saving this Mom and giving her babies so much love. That’s huge!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for rescuing that poor mama kitty in her time of need! It sounds like she has had a rough go in life and is stressed out. Does she have a secluded box or carrier in which to hide her kittens? She is likely on "high alert" or has PTSD from dealing with predators or other dangers outside. She probably also has malnutrition. Cats, just like explorers, like to establish a "base camp" from which to gradually expand territory - a "cave/den" of some sort is ideal. Once she becomes familiar with the sights, sounds, scents & schedules of the household, she should settle down. She may also be missing her previous person very much; sadly that could have be an elderly person whose adult kids don't like cats, a child whose folks don't like cats, or, worse, a woman whose abuser either kicked out the cat or was abusing it to get at his wife & the cat managed to escape (most unfortunately, these terrible dramas are all to common). Reassuring her that she is safe now will work wonders. You can try "comfort grooming" her by using a cheap comb softly applied using "J" -like strokes.
To combat malnutrition, she should be given as much kitten food as possible, including formula. Myself, I have had better results with goat milk. Whether regular KMR or goat milk, I prefer to use powdered unless I have a source for raw goat milk. Our fellow member Hissy has an excellent website "kitten-rescue.com" ; her advice comes from the practical, no-frills/few resources common to the majority of rural feral-cat rescuers.
La Leche League used to have the saying "milk makes milk". Definitely, dehydration can be a factor which is why I give wet food with a little water added.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goreycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've ordered some miracle nipples, but it's going to be a few days; no one around here carries them. The bottle kit came with three of the same size, and I've experimented with a couple different hole options – all of them slowly drip out if held upside down but don't rush out, looks just like what I'm seeing in videos.

Some good news is that mama seems to be producing some milk at least – the last few times I've gone to feed, two of the kittens had nice full tummies and no interest in formula, so that's promising. Unfortunately, the tabby just cannot seem to figure out how to nurse – I'm baffled, because at birth she was the ONLY one who was latching on and nursing. And now she searches, but even trying to guide her to a nipple she won't even put her mouth on it.

I'm getting some formula in her but I know it's not enough. She'll nurse for a little bit and then reject over and over – sometimes I can get her to take it again in the same session, but a lot of times the milk has gone cold enough that I think that's part of why she doesn't want it. She cries and cries and is obviously hungry, but even offering her the bottle every hour she's not getting enough. She's not losing weight, but she's barely gaining either, especially compared to the others. Still seems to have plenty of energy though, doesn't seem weak compared to the others. Has enough energy to throw a fit every time we pick her up, that's for sure!

That makes sense about why I'm not seeing elimination, a bit of a relief. And one did pee a little today so I'm not as worried about that now. Mama has her nesting box and we're switching out the blankets daily – it's warm and near a heat vent and the house is warm too, plus she's being a good mother aside from the milk issue – lots of curling up with them and grooming and all the right stuff, so that's something.

Mama wasn't in great shape when we got her – I'd been seeing her around the dumpster since late Dec but couldn't coax her to come near, so she's been out for a while, and people around here dump cats left and right. We actually scooped up two seven/eight month old kittens about two weeks before mama, and had just gotten them out of isolation into the household when she came along (brings us to seven not counting mama and babies). She definitely has taken to us and wants all the pets and attention - she's not shy! She can be reassured – lots of petting and soft talking gets her to eat and settle back down when she's agitated, but she'll get set off again easily and I don't always have the twenty to thirty minutes to spend doing that every time I go in the room.

She's got kitten food now, and some gravy heavy canned food. I've gotten her to eat a couple eggs, which were a hit, and tomorrow I'll see about giving her some of the formula too. Her coat has already started improving, but she's still got a ways to go.

I'm less worried than I was, but it's frustrating how the kittens have switched roles about who's making me worry - is it going to be tuxedo's turn in a few day? arg! And at least tabby is getting some food, even if it's not as much as I want or as she should, but it's still better than nothing.

Thank you, everyone!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but a lot of times the milk has gone cold enough that I think that's part of why she doesn't want it.
Try setting up a couple syringes/bottles/whatever you're using, and keep the second and third one warm so she's more likely to take it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
goreycat goreycat Are the eggs you are feeding mama cat scrambled or some other way cooked? Raw egg yolk is good. Raw egg white is not - it contains avidin and interferes with B vitamin.