Mama and a solo kitten - nutrition and sex questions

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning friends!! A few days ago I picked up a mama and her newborn to foster. I’ve never had a mama with just one kitten and don’t know her back story but she keeps calling out and crying so either she lost some babies or someone didn’t trap them all and some got left behind 😭

anyway, she’s a good mama. Her baby is always clean and fed and she doesn’t even want to eat by herself because she doesn’t want to leave it’s side. I have to hold the dish up to her and be in the room. She has a huge appetite and has gone through a case of food in like 4 days. I am free feeding dry food (iams kitten and the shelter gave me Purina kitten in a huge bag) which after 4 days she’s finally started eating. I was wondering how many cans is a good amount to give her per day? I know mama should be eating as much as she wants and I want her and her baby to be healthy, but since there’s only one kitten is it ok to limit her to like 4 3-oz cans a day and unlimited dry? The food they gave me is pro plan kitten which is like $23 a case for 24 cans. Not bad at all but I don’t want to be paying that every 4 days of going
back and forth to the shelter every 4 days for food! (I will if I have to but you know)

also, can anyone tell me the sex? Baby is squirmy and he’s a panther baby so it’s hard for me to tell. I don’t usually have newborns! I’m expecting a baby at the end of March and wanted to foster a newborn kitten before we welcome her since my hands will be full. The cord just fell off on Sunday and it’s starting to open it’s eyes!
B902F8F5-A07C-4210-97F4-0B7D0F53E5E4.jpeg
2B25FCE7-C3DA-4D9A-B500-4ED9081CEE26.jpeg
F2D77C20-4A91-416E-A05B-298A44AFFBBB.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a male.

Mom may be making up for past lost meals. I took in a stray male kitten in November who was ravenous. He ate 6 cans a day plus dry food for weeks. I had him neutered yesterday, and he came home and ate 3 cans in a row after being at the vet’s all day on an empty stomach. He has been slowing down to 3-4 cans a day lately, and now that he’s neutered, I expect he will eventually slow to 2-3 as he reaches adulthood.

Feed mom what she needs for now. She should eventually slow down, especially once her only kitten begins to wean. I would give her at least 4 cans a day while nursing.

Does the shelter know any of her back story?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! I’m continuing to give her as many cans as she wants. Trying to keep it to 4 but if she seems hungry I give more.

today the kitten just wants to nurse all day! Poor mama. I started giving her Royal Canin mom and babycat and she can eat a whole 6oz can in one sitting!

hello world!

1CDF07FF-3863-465B-BA61-F22069A95AAB.jpeg