Male cat leaking urine since yesterday

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not a good sign that you don't trust your vet.

If you have to deal with him, then insist on seeing the brand name. I don' t know if he would vaccinate with the regular shot if you specify Purevax because if something does happen he's basically out of business. If you do have to get the shot from him, tell him that you want Purevax, you want to see the container, and you want it put down on your invoice that you got Purevax. Like annekarina53, I think that if the cat has a comprised immune system quite frequently rabies vaccination is waived at least temporarily, so give the other vets a call and see if Mittens can get treated elsewhere considering the antibiotic course.

Unless there's something wrong, you don't have clean teeth right away, and I think it's a bit early to plan on having a dental unless the vet knows there's no stones. For a dental you have to knock them out, so bloodwork has to be done. Although the vet can get USG off the urine test, bloodwork is a better indicator of kidney function and is required where I went to have my kitty's dental done.

He should be checking the ears, heart and eyes if Mittens was having a full exam. Recommending dry is dated thinking. Although not all vets avoid prescription foods, most do say that wet is better, and especially for a UTI kitty.

My kitty was a Scaredy Cat, so the constant, loud meowing doesn't seem abnormal to me, it just depends on the kitty. Mine peed on the exam table because she would get so frightened. When they got blood the entire hospital could hear her and they started cracking jokes about it. An open door would bother me, though. Many animal hospitals have a double-door system to ensure pets don't run away.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is an antibiotic injection they can give a cat that will get them started a good way to getting better.  I think they can give it for a UTI.  They gave it to Shorty when he developed the upper respiratory infection and he took the pink bottle of antibiotics along with it.  But after everything I was giving him so much med I don't know what was for what anymore.  But I do remember the injection.  I think it knocks out most common things in a hurry.  I had a cat once someone dumped on me that got a spot at Cat Welfare and had to be cured of stress tummy problems and such right away.  The vet gave him that and said it would fix the kitty up.  They don't use it unnecessarily but in quickly needed situations.  The charge was around 65.00 total.  At this point try a different vet and stop worrying about the rabies vaccine.  Tell them you will settle that when the cat is well.  You don't add stress to a stressed out sick cat.  You just don't do it.  It's not going anywhere to catch or give rabies now anyway.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the sound of carelessness at the vet. Open doors are absolute no-no. Here, when they give a vaccine, the label off the bottle is stuck into the cat's health record book/passport and it has the brand, batch and date on it so you absolutely know what has been given. But as others say, that is irrelevant right now. Get him well first. As for the nutrition, it may be that Hills is better nutritionally than Fancy Feast (which is basically the equivalent of burgers and chips for cats) but long term he needs a good quality urinary food, preferably wet. I(f you have to use a dry mix, even temporarily, you might try soaking and mashing it in home-made non-salted chicken stock.

He must drink. And preferably a low-calcium water if your water area is hard as that will help prevent stones and crystals forming. I buy a low-calcium mineral water for my cats and a drinking fountain encourages them to drink. Check the bottle labels for the percentage. While he is ill it does not hurt to give him water by needleless syringe each day - up to 40mm a day is fine. Do it gently into the side of the mouth and cats do not usually mind.

You are doing all the right things and researching too, which is great. Good vibes coming your way from me.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes cats will throw up from the antibiotics.  Is your cat peeing normally?  AS if they get blocked where they can't pee, they will throw up as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
annekarina53, Mittens did get a antibiotic shot yesterday with an amoxillin pill at the Vets office.  And today he got one pill this morning at 9:50am. 

Jennyranson, Mittens hasn't peed since this morning and he's not eating much after he threw up his food at 1pm.  At around 2 pm I gave him a teaspoon of water with a syringe.  The Hill's c/d kibble he wasn't touching so I mixed it with his own Natural Balance Rabbit kibble and Fancy Feast, his two favorite and he took a few licks at around 3:30pm.  That was it for his food.  I brought a bowl of filtered cold water from the fridge and he did drink more than ususal.  I'll try a bottle of chilled spring water in a while.  I'm just worried he's not eating much.  Doesn't even want his favorite greenie treat.  Should I be concerned?  I have to give him another pill at 9:50pm and I hate to give it on an empty stomach. 

cprcheetah, The only pee he had was probably at 6am this morning and it was quite a lot, but nothing since.  No BM either today.  Do you think it has something to do with the amoxicillin? When I spoke to the Vet this morning he wasn't concerned at all that he's not eating more than four to five kibble bits. 

I'm very worried.  Is there anything I can try to feed him? Any suggestions, please.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For right now I think it is more important for him to be eating anything over him eating the prescription vet diet.  Have you tried warming his food?  A couple of other things you can try is Beechnut baby food, adding parmasan cheese to his food, adding either tuna fish or bonito flakes to his food.  Cats can get quite seriously ill if they don't eat for a period of time.  I am battling the same thing right now with my elderly cat, the vet gave her an appetitie stimulant today.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks cprCheetah, I just tried the parmasan cheese an he at 1/4 can of fancy feast turkey and chedder.  It's not much but I'll try to give him some later.  I don't think I can post anymore since I've reached my limit of 5 posts.  I am very concerned about this antibiotic shot, which I didn't know which brand it was.  I just read horrible stories about the convenia shot.  I hope it's not the one my precious Mittens received.  I am in a panic, can't wait to call and ask the vet in the morning.  I'm hesitant to give him the amoxicillin pill tonight.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks cprCheetah, I just tried the parmasan cheese an he at 1/4 can of fancy feast turkey and chedder.  It's not much but I'll try to give him some later.  I don't think I can post anymore since I've reached my limit of 5 posts.  I am very concerned about this antibiotic shot, which I didn't know which brand it was.  I just read horrible stories about the convenia shot.  I hope it's not the one my precious Mittens received.  I am in a panic, can't wait to call and ask the vet in the morning.  I'm hesitant to give him the amoxicillin pill tonight.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow. 
Most likely the vet did not give the Convenia shot since he sent you home with antibiotics, but more likely a shot of the Amoxicillin since it gets into the blood stream faster than oral antibiotics.  If he did give the convenia shot, I am puzzled as to why he would send home Amoxicilin as well.

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Even though yesterday the Vet had told me to not give him anything but the c/d, I didn't listen to his advise,  and as I wrote last night I gave him some  Fancy Feast with some parmasan cheese and water because  he was so dehydrated with no urine or BM all day yesterday.  Today I called the Vet's office and asked him for a new prescription food, and after waiting for hours and some complaining from my husband, why nobody in the office calls back or cares about a cat who's not eating, we drove to the vet and got the Purina Veterinary UR st/ox.  

Mittens liked the food right away.  He had a BM and some pee finally.  I still want to continue feeding canned food, even though the Vet said to completely stop all canned food,  Do you think this is a good idea?  I feel my cat will go back to being a kibble junkie and start gaining weight again.  It was so hard to bring him from being 18 lbs to 17lbs.  And the transition to canned food was so difficult.  He hate the Hill's prescription wet, any other good uti canned foods you guys can recommend for my sweet boy?  He only likes pate style. 

Raintyger, cprcheetah, jennyranson and everyone else thank you very much for helping me,  I really don't have any friends or family, who love cats like I do, so getting any input from you guys was truly appreciated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know why some vets still push dry food over the canned.  Canned food is better for all cats because it adds moisture to the diet and they are lower in carbs.  Since he had a UTI rather than crystals any good quality canned food should be fine.  It kind of depends on the price range you are looking at.  Some of the Friskies pates are fine and are probably cheapest.  Fancy Feast Classic Pates are good.  Then on the higher end is the EVO, Natures Variety Instinct, Hounds and Gatos, there are several on the higher end of the price range.  I don't understand the thing about he has to be on a prescription food if it was a UTI rather than crystals. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay with the canned food, my boy Munchie has problems with having UTI's as does my cat DeeJay.  If you can afford it, grain free is best ras there have been some studies done that say carbohydrates can cause crystals in the urine, if not the Fancy Feast Classics work great too.  I have been feeding canned only for about 4 years and neither one of my cats have had any bladder issues where before DeeJay had them every few months and Munchie was once or twice a year.  Canned food with added water (I add a tablespoon or two of water to their canned food.  You want to increase their water intake as much as you can as that flushes out the bladder.  Have your read Catinfo's information on UTI's?  It is awesome information and talks about the prescription diets.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I thought have a UTI is the same as having crystals? I do know the Vet saying stress could have caused it,(we went to Florida, last month and had a house-sitter watch him for a week).  Even though I left specific instructions for the sitter,  not to give Mittens any of his tuna fancy feast, she only fed him those.    I only feed him turkey or chicken all of the time and once a month give him a seafood fancy feast as a treat.  She was giving him 3 cans of tuna fancy feast a day which I had hidden in the back.  I guess I can't use her as a kittysitter again.

Any way the Vet said his urine was sandy, so I thought that meant crystals.  He also said,  the test strip showed a super bad infection with blood in urine which I didn't see in his spotting even on a white blanket.  Something I don't understand is the Vet saying that the cause could be internal or his environment.  I do keep his litterbox super clean.  It's cleaned twice or three times a day.

I just feel bad that the Vet wants him on the prescription diet forever now or he's get this problem again.  For sure he'll be gaining weight from this high carb food.

cprcheetah, just want to say your cats are adorable and I love their cute names.

Denice, I'm going to try the brands you mentioned, like EVO , natures variety, etc.  And I don't understand either, why he needs to stay on this food.  Does sandy urine mean crystals?  Can you have both uti and crystals at the same time? 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat can have a Urinary Tract Infection without having crystals, however most of the time crystals are present with a UTI.  If your vet put your cat on the special diet and said he had to be on it for life, I am inclined to believe your cat had cyrstals.  Crystals/UTI's can happen for a variety of reasons, ph of the urine, lack of moisture in the diet, stress, bacteria, viruses, lack of activity, not peeing often enough, genetics, sometimes idiopathic (no known reason). 

Interesting information I just read about grains and bladder issues it talks about Prescription diets: http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/cathealth.htm

It is hard to say whether or not your catsitter feeding the fish so often contributed to the problem 

Here it talks about why fish is bad to feed often to a cat:  http://www.allcatsvetclinic.com/PDFs/do-not-feed-fish-to-your-cat.pdf

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray! Input and output!

I don't know why the vet thinks it's better to have Mittens on kibble. There are urinary prescription wet foods. (Even the prescription wet foods, though, wouldn't be high on my list. I'd use them only if that's the only thing that works.) The carbs in the kibble will make Mittens' urine pH go up and could lead to urinary stones. Plus, kibble is dehydrating because cats don't have a strong thirst drive. They originated from the desert and fulfill most of their hydration needs from their food (juicy meat).

This article from LittleBigCat discusses why kibble is bad:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/

Among canned foods Weruva and Fussie Cat are known to be good for the urinary tract. They are low calorie foods, though, so you have to feed about double the volume as compared to your average food. Agree with cprcheetah that you should be trying to hydrate Mittens as much as possible. I did it by adding water (filtered or bottled but not mineral) to wet food, as cprcheetah did. You can also try getting a water fountain, but I found the extra water in the food was way easier.

Your vet sounds very traditional and outdated with his food recommendations. Most vets only get about a week of nutritional training and their textbooks are written by the pet food companies who have a vested interest in convincing vets that kibble is OK. Plus some other things like the open door bother me. I'd only get the minimum service necessary from him and move on to some other vet.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I bought two bags of Purine Vet UR from the office.   When I asked for the canned version, he said he doesn't have the cans,  and it's a waste of money anyway, because you're paying for mostly water.  He told me this prescription kibble will actually make him drink more water and I can also just add water to this kibble.   I didn't know that carbs can lead to urinary stones.  I think I'm going to use this dry as only a topper for the main wet food.  I'm going to check out Weruva also.  I need to go get one can of each of these foods to try. 

I'm only will be going back to the vet one more time two have his urine checked again in couple of weeks.  Then it's time for a new vet.  I never saw a vet's office with no doors in the examining room.  Very odd.

Anyway, Mittens is doing much better today,  I gave him a lot of water with a syringe yesterday and today.  And also watered down fancy feast pate. 

Thank you guys for all your help and the great websites you gave me.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your vet is old school in his thinking. I am glad to hear Mittens is doing better. I agree you need to find a new vet.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I bought two bags of Purine Vet UR from the office.   When I asked for the canned version, he said he doesn't have the cans,  and it's a waste of money anyway, because you're paying for mostly water.  He told me this prescription kibble will actually make him drink more water and I can also just add water to this kibble.   I didn't know that carbs can lead to urinary stones.  I think I'm going to use this dry as only a topper for the main wet food.  I'm going to check out Weruva also.  I need to go get one can of each of these foods to try. 

I'm only will be going back to the vet one more time two have his urine checked again in couple of weeks.  Then it's time for a new vet.  I never saw a vet's office with no doors in the examining room.  Very odd.

Anyway, Mittens is doing much better today,  I gave him a lot of water with a syringe yesterday and today.  And also watered down fancy feast pate. 

Thank you guys for all your help and the great websites you gave me.
Yikes! That vet really doesn't know a thing about feline nutrition. The kibble makes him drink more because it has more salt in it. Yuck. Adding water to kibble is risky because kibble has a higher bacterial load. The bacteria will multiply more readily and can cause infection.

See my signature if you need to mail order single cans for tryout.

Give our get-well-wishes to Mittens.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are still quite a few of the vets out there that are very old school about nutrition.  Yes there is a lot of water in canned food but that is one of the good points of it along with fewer carbs.