Making the devastating decision to rehome my two cats

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, 

I'm relatively new here and I came in search for support from fellow cat owners/lovers as I am currently in the process of making one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. Please read my original post if oyu would like for more background info: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/327661/...fellow-cat-owners-lovers-considering-rehoming

I know this will be a contested issue, as I know I am in a space with true cat lovers and advocates. 

Without going too much into it as it is very personal, I am in the process of making the heart-wrenching decision to rehome my cats. Or at least begin the steps of looking into it. It is an extremely difficult and painful time and I am overwhelmed with grief. 

I am not able to financially, physically or emotionally care for them as a result of a chronic illness and disability. 

I am still committed to doing everything within my capacity to resolve Qi's urinary issue and take care of them to the best of my ability until I am able to find local support. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to other forums about rehoming? Again, I know it's a very difficult subject matter. I just ask for your respect for this difficult decision, compassion and understanding. 

I know not everyone will know the in's and out's of my circumstance but I hope you can trust that I take the responsibility of caring for these cats very seriously and I love them so much. It's like considering rehoming my children.

Again, any support would be so appreciated. 

I live in Ontario, Canada. I am researching organizations that could potentially help me. 

My fear is that no one will want two adult, black cats, particularly one that doesn't always pee outside the litterbox and is quite vocal/meows a lot. 

I'm so worried and feel hopeless that I won't be able to find them the home and the owner they deserve and I am distraught with guilt and suffering. 

Any support or links to other forums regarding this issue would be so greatly appreciated. I just ask for no judgement and understanding, suggestions, support and compassion from fellow cat owners/lovers and anyone who is involved in cat rescue just to get some feedback and suggestions on how to best move forward with the rehoming process. 

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry that you are in this position. It must be such a difficult decision. Looking for someone to take care of them is taking care of them. Wish I had a solution or some great advice for you. I can only hope that something good happens for you and your kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words and sympathies. I greatly appreciate it. Hoping for something good as well. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I am harping on this, but why not try medication before you rehome? It could be an actual lifesaver.

Whether you can keep them or not, they have a much better chance if they are well before you regime.

Last edited:

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's okay, I understand and appreciate the suggestion.

I'm not rehoming because of the urinating outside the litterbox issue. 

It's a factor that makes it more difficult for me to care for them but it certainly isn't the core issue. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay, I understand and appreciate the suggestion.

I'm not rehoming because of the urinating outside the litterbox issue. 

It's a factor that makes it more difficult for me to care for them but it certainly isn't the core issue. 
I totally understand that, and appreciate how incredibly hard this must be. I still think you should try the Prozac before rehoming so they will have a better chance of finding a great permanent home.

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Yes, I think I will talk to the Toronto Cat Rescue volunteer and mention I am going to try everything (including Prozac) to resolve the urinary issue before they are adopted to increase the likelihood and success of rehoming. 

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In your original post you mentioned going through lots of moves and difficult times. You are going through difficult times. Your cats know this.
They need you to take care of yourself. You are wearing yourself out buying them the best of the best and taking them to the vet and using special medicine.
Look inward, focus on what you can do to make yourself feel better financially, mentally, physically. Cats, as humans, can adapt in surprisingly adverse circumstances SHOULD THEY FEEL LOVED AND CARED FOR --and that means caring for MOMMY. They need stability both environmental and emotional. Changing yourself will have tremendous effect on them. Good luck to you and your babies. You have had them so long and taken good care of them- now they need you to care for you.

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Kittylove14 for your kind and compassionate post. I really appreciate it and have read it over a couple times when the feelings of guilt, failure and shame roll in. 

I have been in touch with the organization I rescued them from and it has been very positive. They will go to a foster to have behavioral issues addressed before being put up for adoption. 

It will be extremely hard to let them go, even though it is for the best, I love them so much. It will be so hard to not have them here with me anymore. But they will be in a home where they can be cared for the way they need and I can look after my immediate health and life issues. So we can all be on our journey towards wellness. I hope and pray they will find a home where they are loved and cared for and will be able to transition and adapt, considering how close we have been for 5 years. Sometimes I think I need them more then they need me....The hardest thing is letting go because it's letting go of control...Once I let them go I can't control what will happen to them. But I trust the Toronto Cat Rescue is a good organization and I think they will be okay. 

Thanks to everyone for the support. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you so much Kittylove14 for your kind and compassionate post. I really appreciate it and have read it over a couple times when the feelings of guilt, failure and shame roll in. 

I have been in touch with the organization I rescued them from and it has been very positive. They will go to a foster to have behavioral issues addressed before being put up for adoption. 

It will be extremely hard to let them go, even though it is for the best, I love them so much. It will be so hard to not have them here with me anymore. But they will be in a home where they can be cared for the way they need and I can look after my immediate health and life issues. So we can all be on our journey towards wellness. I hope and pray they will find a home where they are loved and cared for and will be able to transition and adapt, considering how close we have been for 5 years. Sometimes I think I need them more then they need me....The hardest thing is letting go because it's letting go of control...Once I let them go I can't control what will happen to them. But I trust the Toronto Cat Rescue is a good organization and I think they will be okay. 

Thanks to everyone for the support. 
I'm so sorry that you are going through this. 

I give you credit for putting their needs before your own wants. Thankfully there are places out there like Toronto Cat Rescue. Those people are largely unsung heroes. i'm sure your cats will be fine too. They will never forget you. Even though you will be parted from each other, the bond you have will last forever and they will always love you.