Magazine Subscriptions?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My poor poor DH...I have been on a magazine buying binge the past month or so. I think I've brought home probably a dozen of them! If not more!

I want to pick a few to subscribe to; but I'm still deciding what ones. So that got me thinking; what ones do you subscribe to?

Most of the ones I picked up were either home stuff, family or food oriented. Or a combination of those things. I used to subscribe to Reader's Digest but I gave that up a year or 2 ago. Same with Cat Fancy. I was just too busy; but now I'm enjoying them because it's easier to read an article here and there than to sit down and get engrossed in a novel. My Mom got me a subscription to Taste of Home for Christmas; so that's my only one I have coming regularly so far.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a subscription to Modern Dog, I like it because it has different types of articles than the normal dog magazines, also great product reviews and good pictures. If there is/was a cat equivalent, I'd probably read it... but I haven't looked. It comes out 10 times a year (I think), it's pretty much monthly except for summer, I think. The subscription is pretty cheap too.

I used to have a subscription to Popular Science, I loved that magazine but I just didn't have time to read it and it was a bit more than the Modern Dog one. I still buy it occasionally though.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH has a Wired magazine subscription, and I currently get Cook's Illustrated which I think I'll renew. We also get Sunset magazine through AAA, which isn't something we specifically buy, but enjoy reading.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dottie used to get Taste of Home, but dropped it when Reader's Digest took it over. We're still getting Country and Country Extra.

Street Rodder.
Car Craft.
Cat Fancy.
Texas Highways.
Guitar Player.

As I keep saying, I sure wish they'd all go over to e-book format for Kindle or whatever.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to get Taste of Home, too, but dropped it when it got to be all advertisements and recipes that called for convenience foods more than anything. I would have rather paid a subscription increase than to have to go through all those ads.

If you're looking for a good cooking magazine, check out Cook's Illustrated. It's through America's Test Kitchens and the recipes are delicious. Step-by-step instructions and they tell you WHY you have to do something. No ads....none. It comes every other month. I've been a subscriber now for several years; one of my GFs gave me a gift subscription and I was hooked. My MIL loves it, too; I give her my issues to read. She told me the other day that she always learns something very interesting about cooking from Cook's Illustrated....and she's 90 years old. I have made many of the recipes from the issues and have never been disappointed.

I also like Cook's Country, which is another cooking magazine from ATK. This one is a lot like Taste of Home in that cooks submit recipes, but it doesn't have the ads and it doesn't use a lot of convenience products. DH recently subscribed to that for me. I get Cook's Illustrated one month and Cook's Country the next month.

Let me think about our subscriptions:
Newsweek (got it free for one year)
Bon Appetit (got it free for one year....not crazy about it as it's all ads)
Nutrition Action
Consumer Reports
Garden Gate (a nice magazine for gardeners)
Sports Illustrated (for DH)
Becketts (for DH)

I think there are some others, too, but for the life of me I can't remember!

We used to get Readers Digest, but gave that up. Gave up Cat Fancy and TV Guide, too.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have recently subscribed to Prevention. It has some good health tips. I also get the Good Housekeeping. I tried Redbook, but it is geared to younger women.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to look for that Cooks Illustrated! Sounds like something my mother and I would really enjoy! Esp Mom! She's always cooking something new!

Every now and then I like to pick up a copy of Birds and Blooms; mostly for the pictures! LOL! I can't see myself subscribing to it since I'm not a gardener; but I do love to just look at the pics. The doc I first worked for had like 7 copies of all these different magazines come in (used to be a big group) so I could take a few of the old issues. That was always nice!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've subscribed to Cosmopolitan magazine since I was 17; it's still my favorite magazine. Two years ago their publisher had a special offer where you could get four 12 month subscriptions for $5 each ($20 total for the year!). It was a great deal, so I took it out since I'm a huge magazine reader. When it was time for renewal again this year, I called up the publishing company and asked if they would honor that special again- they did!

I subscribe to: Cosmopolitan, Red Book, Marie Claire, and Oprah magazine. There are things that I like about each magazine. (In the past I've been given gift subscriptions to "Better Homes and Gardens" and "Southern Living" - I love those too but I don't currently subscribe). A few months ago, my cousin took out a subscription to The New Yorker for me as a Christmas gift, so I get that one weekly. It's pretty interesting and I definitely love some of the articles in it.

In the future, I wouldn't mind subscribing to "Real Simple" magazine as well as some of the more dog related magazines ("Australian Shepherds" -that one only comes out a few times a year, so I just buy it when it's out. I also like the dog magazines that pertain to working dogs:Agility, Obedience, Therapy, etc.)

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you go to their website to subscribe I would highly recommend taking a look at this site: http://www.discountmags.com
I just got a years worth of 2 photography magazines, Elle magazine, and Road & Track for the Beau. I think I have paid $12 for all 4 lol

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Before you go to their website to subscribe I would highly recommend taking a look at this site: http://www.discountmags.com
I just got a years worth of 2 photography magazines, Elle magazine, and Road & Track for the Beau. I think I have paid $12 for all 4 lol
Wow! Thanks for the tip!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What don't I get

Real Simple
Allure
Glamour
Whole Living
Everyday Food

I buy off the rack only if it interests me:

People
US weekly
Life & Style
Oprah
InStyle

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone know if Walmart typically carries Cooks Illustrated? Or what store I can find it on the rack at? My Mom's birthday is in a few weeks and you guys gave me the idea for a fantastic present for her!

Usually I do my subscriptions from the cards inside the magazines themselves. Usually it's a good deal.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't typically buy magazines. Occasionally I will pick up a rag magazine when shopping if there is something interesting on the cover, but not usually. Maybe 4 per year.

I subscribe to National Geographic and Reader's Digest.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only subscribe to two and will only renew one: Cake Central magazine and American Cake Decorating magazine. The former is new and they've had some kinks to work out, but I'm willing to give them a second year to try (that and the magazine is BEAUTIFUL and well-made). The latter...well, I gave them two years and they failed miserably.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Anyone know if Walmart typically carries Cooks Illustrated? Or what store I can find it on the rack at? My Mom's birthday is in a few weeks and you guys gave me the idea for a fantastic present for her!

Usually I do my subscriptions from the cards inside the magazines themselves. Usually it's a good deal.
I don't know if they sell at stores or not....I've never really looked.

Go to http://www.cooksillustrated.com/. They might even have special offers for you. It's an every-other-month-subscription and I think the normal price is $24.95.....no ads.

And don't forget Cook's County, too, if you think she might be interested in that magazine. Either one is good.

Go to http://www.cookscountry.com/ for more info.