Mad/hurt....sad? long post/rant

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would been rather annoyed. I would have expected her to get on the phone to you to ask whether it was ok and check that she hadn't already been treated with something that was potentially dangerous if 2 doses were given. Most kids get head lice when they start school or pre school. It's not a big deal imo. I think your sister over-reacted.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very upset if someone with lice came into my home. I wouldn't want it spreading onto my stuff. But I also can see that your sister tried to do what she thought was right. Yeah, she probably should have let you know, but sometimes people just kick into action over something they think will be simple to take care of. I doubt she knew the treatment would cause her to lose her hair. Hopefully the incident where they treated her badly was also only isolated. I can see both sides, and heres some vibes to help everyone get past it

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a sister and if she had done that I have to say that I would have understood that she was trying to help you and your daughter. Maybe she could have called and asked but she obviously, genuinely thought that it would be no big deal. The issue here really is that your daughter has or is losing some of her hair. I wouldn't be happy about my daughters hair falling out but I wouldn't blame it on my sister either. I hope that you can resolve this. Try not to be too mad at your sister, I am sure that she had the best intentions, it is not worth upsetting your relationship with your sister over.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be mad at the company that made the product that caused your daughter's hair to fall out, not your sister. Your sister was only trying to help, not hurt.

I had lice as a kid and it took forever to get rid or it. We also had a problem at are school. So they made the kids who had lice stay home "sick" from school wad were unable to return untill it was gone.

Also, if you put mayonnaise in her hair and let it sit it will somther all the lice. It is one one to get rid of them with out having to use chemicals all the time, but it only kills the adult lice, not the eggs. It helps if you remove all of the stuffed animals in her bed and place them in black plastic bags and set em in the sun for 2 weeks the lice will die and it will help stop a reinfestaion at home.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You have every right to be mad and upset. They should have called you first. Some children (like yours) could be allergic to the over the counter meds (I'm guessing they used Rid - that's the one I see on the shelves).

I hope your daughter is ok, but IMO I would ask your sister to pay for the doctor's visit!

I would be completely upset about it! You didn't know about her having them and they should have called you and told you to come and get her

Are they doing anything about her hair? What has the Dr said? Do you know what they used?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

To be honest, I would be freaked out if someone were in my house and they had lice.
It would be a very big deal to me.

Now, does that make it alright that your daughter was made to feel bad? No, but they might have been upset finding the lice. Frankly, I wouldn't let her sit on my couch/chair/bed either. There could have been more than eggs. If it were my niece, I would have been tempted to treat her myself as well.

I'm sure she never would have used that shampoo if she knew your daughter's hair would fall out. I'm going to assume since you let your daughter go there, that normally she's treated well, and that this is an isolated incident. Don't let this come between you and your sister.
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Gee, it sounds to me like everyone just needs to take a chill pill. You should never have sent your daughter to visit someone without either taking care of the problem, or telling them about it. Head lice have come back in a big way in the last couple of years, getting very hard to treat, and I don't think I'd react much differently if I suddenly found my niece visiting my house, spreading louse eggs around.

And when they discovered it, they should have called you and asked you if you knew about it before they did anything.

It's your daughter; her medical bills are your responsibility, even if the problem was caused by someone else--someone who, in this case, was trying to help you and your daughter.
I agree with both of these.

Personally I think it was irresponsible to send your child to your relatives house knowing that she had lice and not telling them about it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I agree with both of these.

Personally I think it was irresponsible to send your child to your relatives house knowing that she had lice and not telling them about it.
She didn't know her daughter had head lice, just that she's had some problems in the past.

If I discovered my niece had head lice, I would ring my sister to make sure it's ok to treat it. I'm sure my brother and sister in law wouldn't think to tell me every single thing their kids are allergic to, or have reactions to.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The OP has said a few times now that she DID NOT know that her daughter had head lice. She did say that she has had head lice in the past, but that she didn't know she had it again.

If you ask me, you have every right to be upset. I don't think you can be angry with your sister for her hair falling out, even though I would be distressed by that myself. However, I agree that she should have called you before treating her, even if just to say she planned to treat the lice. I think what you should be about is her making your daughter stand outside and treating her badly. She's young, and she probably does not understand why she was being treated like that. I would talk to your sister and thank her for treating the head lice (not matter how hard that may be seeing how her hair fell out as a result!) but tell her how you feel about the rest.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your poor daughter....she must have felt so embarrassed, which, IMO, the family had an obligation to protect her from, as much as is possible.
when I lived in the Bakersfield area in the 80s, headlice there were a real problem - and they were so resistant to Rid & Qwell - it was a nightmare. Anyway, I moved back up here, and my girls finally were rid of the pests, so I thought.....
One summer, my neighbor's granddaughter came up for a summer visit, and would come by daily & play with my older daughter but would refuse to play with my younger daughter because she has a severe speech problem. The visitor had headlice & my older daughter caught them. At the doctors, during inspection, the dr. announced that my younger daughter did NOT have lice, to which my younger daughter replied, "wheww! I sure am glad that Melanie doesn't like to play with me"