lysine how long how much

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started my 2 yr old Rex on Lysine 500mg once a day this last week. We have gone to vet multiple times over the past 1 1/2 for his uri. He has had shots, pills liquid and none has cleared his uri for more then a week. He is negative for luke, and aids so I am leaning toward the herpes virus. Everything I read on it seems to say treat with lysine but how long and when will I see some rwsults. All he does is sneeze and have congestion. He eats, plays uses the litterbox. Inside only just like other 2 cats and they have no symptoms of a uri....help plz

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you determine a flare up? All he does is sneeze and have nasal congestion oh and an ear infection that refuses to go away (again with multiple trips to vet and an ear packing) I am now treating with a vinagar, prorxied, water and alcohol (to help dry) saluting. I also add 10 drops of tea tree oil to this mixture and wash and clean his ear daily. Seams to do better.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people who use lysine give around 500mg daily, and then bump it up to 100mg for flare ups. It's usually used long term as a preventative maintenance thing.
I believe Pushylady meant most people push it up to 1000 mg for flare up.  ;)
Yes I did, thanks!

As for determing a flare up, your cat sound quite bad to me. My cat is currently having a bit of a flare up too, but he doesn't sneeze. His eye has been gunkier so I have to clean it more often and his ears have been dirtier lately too.
I'd be wary of the tea tree oil- I don't think that's OK for cats. You have to be really careful with oils and essences with cats as they are much more sensitive to them than humans or dogs.

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all info. I did a lot of research before using tea tree oil and given how much it is diluted he seems to be doing OK with it. I started with only 5 drops then very slowly increased to the 10 drops per 8 Oz(total) of vinger, prorxied and water. His ear seams to be getting better all else has failed. I will increase his lysine to 1000mg and see how he does. He is really hard to pill and refuses it crushed in wet food. Gonna try and order liquid next payday see if that works better.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See this thread on L-Lysine and the fact that most people prefer the powder form vs the tablet.  It also comes in chewables (not referenced in this thread).  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239337/where-do-you-buy-your-l-lysine.   Did you check into the Lactoferrin as well?  That's the thread Pushylady referenced above. 

Willy is quite handsome, BTW 

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for complementing Willy[emoji]128058[/emoji].I haven't had time to read all the threads yet but will be doing so on my next day off. Just been working really long hrs.

Last edited: