Lucas has demodex in his ears :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lauren, thank you sooo much for posting that!  and thank  you for thinking of us
  Wouldn't that be great , if the demodex was the cause of all his problems? That gives me hope that someday he can be off the prednisolone. 

It also makes me mad because we've been to 4 or 5 vets that have checked his ears and never noticed it, but I think it was there the whole time.

The only problem is he is doing so awful this morning :( his eyes are awful and that frustrates him and he doesn't even want to eat.  I was thinking that if I could clean his ears a little with a little tiny drop of the ivermectin maybe that dark thing wouldn't get in his eyes and he could feel better.  I read of people who put the ivermectin in the cat's ears, but I'm  afraid to do it because I would be giving him a higher dose, the body will absorb it through the ears.  I don't know, I'm just desperate.

Thank you  Lauren and everyone, I will keep updating.

Tammy and LUcas

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no Tammy, I cant offer advice only lots of 
 !!! but It might be worth exploring the possibility of this being the original problem rather than lupus with the vet?

((((hugs))))

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, yes, I will be discussing it with the vet.  In fact I have an appointment  in a week and I will ask that question. It is hard to find other people who have gone through this because this does't normally happens to cats. 

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, Promeris works wonder, not sure if any of these can be combined with the meds your cat is on but they are topical, just like flea treatment.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind and discuss it with the vet.  My poor baby spent the whole afternoon sleeping and  when he woke up one of his eyes was closed and swollen, so I took a cloth with warm water and I was able to open his eye.  Then I looked at the ears and they were so full of that dark thing  that it was gettin in his eyes, so I used some drops I had and cleaned his ears a little, maybe if I keep them clean, his eyes will get better. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Morning, Tammy. Thinking of you and Lucas. I am SO sorry he is not feeling well, Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, both of you. I am really curious to see what the vet has to say about the Demodex being the culprit for all of Lucas' symptoms. I am not sure, but I really don't think that Demodex mange out limit itself to the ears only. It does spread. Anyway, I am thankful that it has been discovered and that he is getting treatment for it. Hang in there, Tammy. This too shall pass!!!! And hopefully very quickly without much suffering to Lucas in the process. :vibes: :hugs: :rub: :vibes: :hugs: :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laure, yes, I also think that Demodex does spread and I was also thinking this could have been the cause of Lucas loosing all his fur and his scratching.

I'm no vet, but I was thinking that maybe stress didn't cause his skin problems and was the demodex, maybe he got better with the prozac because it made him sleepy and he didn't scratch, who knows?

What does makes me angry is that our previos vet did tests on Lucas' skin and never saw the demodex.  He kept saying the result was negative for mange, bacteria and fungal infection. 

I cleaned his ears last night and this morning and I also cleaned his eyes, sofly without hurting him.  He ate and  I gave him his meds.   Now he is sleeping. On Monday he will get a higher dose of ivermectin and I have to be watching him, I pray to God he doesn't react to it.

Hugs, TAmmy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also hope that he will be alright on Monday with the higher dosage of Ivermectin. I honestly think, IMO, that the demodex is elsewhere other than just his ears. I don't get it either how it could have been overlooked when other vets did skin scrapings before :dk:. Tammy..... I am REALLY hoping this is the cause of all of Lucas' issues and you finally have an answer. Ramping up vibes for our sweet darling boy, Lucas. :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet actually asked me if Lucas got skin scrapings and he did, but I guess the vet was blind, I don't know. I was afraid of her wanting to do the scrapings again , but she said she didn't need to, she saw more than 8 demodex mites in his ears.

He is doing a little better right now. thanks for the prayers and vibes, hugs!

Tammy

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if maybe the mites made his body over-react and start getting autoimmune problems. I've seen that in cats with flea allergies. The only way to help them was to make sure they never, ever got exposed to another flea. I guess your vet will know more though.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading a lot about this condition and I found out that stress can play a part, I read that stress weakens the immune system and can make the demodex mites expand through the body.I think this is what happened to Lucas, I think he will have to keep taking the prozac to keep the situation under control, but then again I will have  to talk to the vet.  I was going to take him today because he wasn't doing well, but I see that he is feeling a little better so I will wait for his original appointment , it is next monday.

Today I will be giving him a higher dose of the ivermectin so I have to watch him just in case.  His granda will be taking care of him in the afternoon while I work. can't leave that boy unsupervised.

Tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, absolutely stress can cause the demodex to take over, it is just an awful condition BUT is treatable. MEGA VIBES today for Lucas that he takes the higher dosage alright :cross: :alright: Grandpa sounds like a good babysitter and will take good care of his grandson :lol3: :D :bigwink: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Lucas :rub:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet actually asked me if Lucas got skin scrapings and he did, but I guess the vet was blind, I don't know. I was afraid of her wanting to do the scrapings again , but she said she didn't need to, she saw more than 8 demodex mites in his ears.

He is doing a little better right now. thanks for the prayers and vibes, hugs!

Tammy
It is possible that the "spot" where they did the scrapings there were no mites because it can cause an allergic reaction as Callista mentioned below. Sometimes I think some vets will treat on suspicion of mites :dk: I am just sorry this was not caught sooner, too. :shame:

I wonder if maybe the mites made his body over-react and start getting autoimmune problems. I've seen that in cats with flea allergies. The only way to help them was to make sure they never, ever got exposed to another flea. I guess your vet will know more though.
Yep, that makes perfect sense. Similar to flea allergy dermatitis.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything you both say (Lauren and Callista) makes perfect sense.  I think that is the right explanation  of what has happened to my boy.  I thank God he is doing a little better and he hasn't had any reaction to the ivermectin,  he is not feeling very well, but is not as bad as I expected.  He hasn't vomited, no diarrhea,  he is eating a lot.  He does seem weak, but that is normal, he is taking so many meds: prozac, prednisolone ( which was lowered to 2.5mg a day ,successfully, yay!)  cephalexin for 14 days and the ivermectin.  He will finish taking the antibiotic on Sunday, will start the highest dose of ivermectin next monday and I will take him to his vet's appointment after that.

I will be posting a picture of him in the cat pics section, under "Lucas photo update".

His eyes are a little red, but they are looking great compared to how they looked when we first started lowering the prednisolone, they looked awful and he couldn't even open one of them. 

I hope the next six weeks fly by.

Hugs, Tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammy, I am on this 6 week journey with you and Lucas. :hugs: :rub: I think what makes me most happy is to hear that he is eating well, and a lot. :nod: That is a great sign. I am constantly keeping Lucas in my nightly prayers. :9: I think there is a BRIGHT light at the end of this six week tunnel. I want this SO badly for you and for Lucas, for Lucas to be symptom free and to be able to finally have a answer to all of his skin troubles and all of the pain he has endured (and you, as his loving momma.) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much Lauren, we need the prayers and vibes
 I just put him in bed and he looks so sad :( At least he ate a can and a half of food today, because he didn't want to eat more tonight, so that's ok.  I just see him sooo sleepy and tired.  These are going to be the longest 6 weeks of my life.

I need this to be the answer Lauren and I pray to God this is it, the lil guy needs a break, a chance to be a cat, he is sick and tired to taking so many medicines.

Hugs, TAmmy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thank you so much Lauren, we need the prayers and vibes :hugs:  I just put him in bed and he looks so sad :( At least he ate a can and a half of food today, because he didn't want to eat more tonight, so that's ok.  I just see him sooo sleepy and tired.  These are going to be the longest 6 weeks of my life.

I need this to be the answer Lauren and I pray to God this is it, the lil guy needs a break, a chance to be a cat, he is sick and tired to taking so many medicines.

Hugs, TAmmy
Tammy, I am also praying for this to be the miracle that you and Lucas have been longing for. At the very least, you have a start and a diagnosis to a huge piece of this puzzle and can begin to heal him. I am sorry about all of the drugs/medications. Really, really tough right now. Keeping you close, hun. :hugs: :heart3: Hang in there.... day by day..... prayer by prayer..... you both will get through this, together. :rub: :hugs: :heart2:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything you both say (Lauren and Callista) makes perfect sense.  I think that is the right explanation  of what has happened to my boy.  I thank God he is doing a little better and he hasn't had any reaction to the ivermectin,  he is not feeling very well, but is not as bad as I expected.  He hasn't vomited, no diarrhea,  he is eating a lot.  He does seem weak, but that is normal, he is taking so many meds: prozac, prednisolone ( which was lowered to 2.5mg a day ,successfully, yay!)  cephalexin for 14 days and the ivermectin.  He will finish taking the antibiotic on Sunday, will start the highest dose of ivermectin next monday and I will take him to his vet's appointment after that.

I will be posting a picture of him in the cat pics section, under "Lucas photo update".

His eyes are a little red, but they are looking great compared to how they looked when we first started lowering the prednisolone, they looked awful and he couldn't even open one of them. 

I hope the next six weeks fly by.

Hugs, Tammy
Tammy, I haven't been posting, and I should be so you know I'm thinking about you and Lucas and sending vibes. :hugs: I know it's so hard, hun, but all things considered, I'm really pleased he's doing as well as he is! :clap: :hugs: :cross: :heart2: :rub:

Many, many, many vibes as you wind down the antibiotics and up the ivermectin.... I so, so, so, so, so hope that it turns out this has all been a reaction to the demodex.... but no matter what happens, we know Lucas is in the most caring, loving hands.... :heart2:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes; :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both Lauren and Laurie
  thank you for the vibes and for thinking of us.the vibes and prayers are working because my Lucas like an hour ago asked me to take him outside for his night walk, since he was sick I had stopped walking him.  I was going to eat, but I was so excited about him feeling well enough to go outside that I left everything and took him, he was so happy, he is feeling better:)  He didn't walk that much, but he enjoyed being in the grass and just feeling the air on his face.

I'm so sorry I haven't been posting on other threads, I've been so stressed with this situation.... I hope all your kitties are doing well.

Hugs, TAmmy

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:  I took Lucas to his vet's appointment today and it went well.  The vet says Lucas looks good and is doing good on the medicines. He will stay on 2.5mg of prednisolone for another week and if he does fine, he will be on 2.5mg every 48hours the next week.

He will stay on the 1mg of prozac daily for now, because the vet thinks Lucas will need anxiety medication all his life.  It is a major issue with Lucas, but Im ok with it, if he needs it, he will get it.  The prozac doesn't worry me that much anymore, but the pred does, If he can live without it I want him off it.

Today is the second day he has taken the higher dose of ivermectin and he hasn't reacted badly to it, thank you Lord! He ate perfectly well, but he looks a little sad and sleepy.  But well, the vet says it is normal for him to be like that with so many changes on his meds, but other than that he is ok.

His eyes are looking better too and he hasn't lost any weight.

I will keep updating:)

Hugs, Tammy