Lost cat

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bengal Lover

My husband and I are getting so encouraged right now because Snickers hasn't been spotted in 8 days. And then I think ... well does ANYone ever get calls saying their cat was spotted before they finally return? Probably not. Our postcards have given us a little edge, at least giving us information on his whereabouts almost 3 days after he ran. But it IS very disappointing and discouraging that he hasn't been seen for 8 days now ... does that mean he's dead? Taken in by someone? Farther away?

We have now gotten a cold front and it is quite cold out....low 20's during the day and single digits at night. For the next 3 days, it will be very very cold, with wind chills making it feel even colder. Can a little cat actually live through that? It's been 10 days, 11 tomorrow morning. When we do go out and walk and call, we see no sign of any animal life. Animals are probably hunkered in for the night as soon as the sun goes down because it feels so much colder at night with no sunlight. And can he really survive this weather on the ground, which is so so cold and unforgiving?

The thought of all this drives me crazy, to think of that poor little kitty out there freezing to death and there is nothing I can do about it. I wish I could go back 10 days and push him away from the door before I opened it. *sigh* This roller coaster is just draining.
There ARE feral cats in every city living through weather like that, so don't let the temperature make you think the worst. Cats are smart. He has likely found somewhere to hide and keep warm.

I would keep setting the trap (with a 2nd one in another area if possible) and check them regularly. Pull them up if you're going to be gone for an extended period of time, especially if its cold so something doesn't get caught in one and then freeze. Keep walking the neighborhood at night with a flashlight and calling for him.

I really hope he comes home soon. One of my worst fears is one of mine getting out like that. I can only imagine how worried you are.

Don't give up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengal lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can't hurt to keep setting the trap, so we are definitely doing that every night. We know for a fact he was never back here since the day he ran, so we feel like the trap is futile because he's too far for the scent to carry. I really like the Kentucky Fried Chicken idea and we will definitely try that ... we've been only putting tuna in (I have no idea if he even would be attracted to sardines because we've never given them to him) and some salmon cat food but that scent doesn't even seem strong to US. He does love chicken so I'm going to try the KFC next. He also loves this Friskies pouch moist food with gravy so as soon as it gets a little warmer I'm going to put that out but right now, it just freezes.

My husband keeps saying it's futile to walk around calling him because (a) we have no idea where he is and we don't think he's close, and (b) he hasn't heard a story yet where a frightened cat came out of hiding because its owner called it with a flashlight. Most stories we hear are someone else spotting the cat and calling to report the sighting, or the cat being humanely trapped, or it walking up the driveway and almost ringing the doorbell! There are several stories of cats coming back after a long time, but most say a few days, a few houses away. We have the benefit of snow, and there are no fresh tracks around here at all within several blocks.

Despite the fact that I have several cats, I guess I never realized how much they are in peril outside ... I have always heard they are fine; many have daily access to the outside world and come back; many live outside just fine; they always return home. If I had known this would happen, I would have always put him in a closed room when opening the outside door, because he ALWAYS was nosing around the door when it was opened and we always knew he would sneak out eventually ... he just wanted to, so badly.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sardines just stink like heck so the smell is stronger and carries more. I hope the KFC works out for you!!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's easy to give up hope, but cats are resilient and I think you should keep hope. Maybe Snickers has traveled farther. It's a shame so many cities have it illegal to post signs on telephone poles. If that's not illegal where you live, I would do that.

Hang in there!!!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't give up. I have always read that they don't go far from home. Keep checking under steps, cars, anything in your yard or the neighbors. I do hope you find the cat.

bengal lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG we have our gorgeous Bengal boy back! I couldn't stand it anymore and vowed to go out and look for him tonight if I had to go in rabbit hutches, sewer drains or WHATEVER. And then the phone rang. A man said very loudly and excitedly, "I HAVE YOUR BENGAL!" My heart started to race; I didn't want to even hope. I said really? He said, "YES! He's in my garage! I pulled up and my headlights shone in the garage and I saw something run and hide in the corner, it's him! He looks JUST like on the postcard!" Now my heart was REALLY racing and I was starting to cry and hyperventilate. He said "I have my car parked in the driveway with the flashers on so you can see where I am, come up the road." I grabbed the cat's carry cage, his favorite treats, and headed out the door. There was a car, across the street and 4 houses down (my husband and son had talked to him about 10 days ago and the man was really nice and let them look under his porch and in his yard) ... and I brought the cage to their garage.

They couldn't find their little door key and asked if they could just open the big door. I'm crying at this point and said please no, no ... I didn't want to chance spooking him and him running again. So they kept looking and finally found their little door key and opened it and me, the man and his wife snuck into the garage and closed the door behind us.

They turned on the overhead light and got a flashlight as well and showed me which corner he ran to. We shone the light and I started shaking treats and calling "Snickers! Here kitty! Where's Snickerdoodle" ... soft tones, very welcoming. Nothing. We moved some boxes and crates ... they lined the garage to the ceiling. Still talking softly, still shaking treats ... nothing.

Finally after about TWO MINUTES of constant soft talking and calling his name while they moved crates, a little meow. OMG, that's him! I knew his voice! I got so excited and started just balling like a baby. They kept removing crates and bins and he kept meowing and meowing and didn't stop from that point on ... really desperate, happy, long meows like "meoooowooowwwwwwowwwwww" .. and they finally uncovered him. I grabbed him and kissed his oil, gas, garage-smelling head and he started to purr. I'm sobbing and thanking them and petting my baby and finally I put him in the carrying crate, CHECKED THE DOOR/GATE CAREFULLY to make sure it latched, then turned to the man and handed him the $100 reward and asked him to PLEASE take it. He wouldn't. He just gave me the biggest bear hug and said, "We have pets, we totally understand" and I could just feel him enjoying this discovery along with me and feeling my joy. The man is a saint. I turned and hugged his wife and thanked the Lord for angels. I told them they WOULD be hearing from me and kept thanking them as I walked away with my kitty.

When I got home, I put the other cat away. We had also gotten a new kitty during this time and I put him away. I didn't want any stresses for Snickers. He walked out of the cage and oh, he is sooo skinny! When I pet him, I feel his spine and his sides are so caved in. He doesn't like to drink water out of a bowl, he drinks out of the sink. He tried to jump onto the counter and fell; he's weak. I put him on the counter and turned on the water and he gulped and gulped for soooooo long. I know I should ration him a little bit so he doesn't gorge himself and throw up. I let him drink for a while, then turn the faucet off. We get a pouch of his favorite moist food and put a little out; he inhales it. We wait a while before letting him have anything else. He walks around purring and smelling and meowing and investigating everything. I know he smells the new kitty and is wary. He also just seems wary in general, and I imagine he has slept with one eye open for the past 12 days. His collar is gone, I have no idea what he's been through.

We let him drink every 10 or 15 minutes and we let him eat in another half hour. He still keeps pacing and meowing and trying to jump on the counter and falling. We finally don't let him try anymore; we don't want him hurting himself.

As I type this, he is sleeping on a chair in my computer room next to me. We have closed him in here to keep him calm so the other kitties don't bother him. He is sleeping on a fleece cat bed, on the chair, with my robe covering the chair so he is in a dark little warm safe place. He always loved it in there. I left the room for a second and heard intense, intense meowing ... he NEVER meowed before. I came back, worried what happened, and he was just not wanting to be alone. I put him back on the chair and covered and petted him and he's sleeping again now. He doesn't want to be alone! I'm sure it will take him a while to adjust and that's fine. I missed him so badly I will be glad to stay in here all night if I have to....I will probably bring him in bed with me, something he wasn't allowed to do before; we usually don't let the cats in our room because they would love to wallow around in our closet.

Anyway, THANK THANK THANK YOU so much to everyone in this forum for your tips and support and your "cat love." I hope my story helps someone else if they ever find themselves in my awful situation and feels hope that there IS a happy ending waiting for them.

Oh ... and the man said his wife left their garage door open all day the other day and that's when the cat had to have gotten in. So he was still SOMEWHERE for about 10 days, and has probably been shut in a garage for the past 2 days.

The thing that struck me most was ... I was in a closed, confined garage where I KNEW the cat was and STILL he wouldn't come out or meow for 2 solid minutes. Then when he started meowing, he still didn't come out ... he stayed put and waited for us to uncover him. What if he had been outside in bushes? And wouldn't answer or come out? These cats get SOOO scared, I can't believe it. He is the most outgoing friendly cat you've ever seen in the house ... our friends love him and cannot believe him. He just turned into a totally different cat outside.

The man and woman who called to tell us they had our cat? They are getting a monstrous gift certificate from me and a gorgeous bouquet of roses, and I'd really like to take them out for some drinks one night. I am eternally grateful to them and while I know they didn't expect anything in return, I want them to know that they are my angels on earth.

Thanks again, everyone! I will be lurking here because I feel you are my friends now, and I'd like to help someone else if they ever need me.

ONE HAPPY BENGAL LOVER!!!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I have been following this and I am SOOOOO freaking HAPPY for you!!!!

I went absolutely nuts when Cody got out for 2 hours. I found him under the house, too terrified to move, so I had to crawl under & get him. All I could think about was that he was going to get bit by a black widow spider (there are a ton around here).

They totally change when outside, they seem to get disoriented & confused.

*BIGGG HUGGGS* to you & Snickers!!! Poor fellow, there is no telling what he has been through!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad your kitty cat has been found. Congratulations! Be sure to get him in for a quick check up.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely WONDERFUL news!

I'm so happy to read this I have tears in my eyes! So glad Snickers is home safe and sound. I just knew it was too soon for you to give up hope. What a wonderful couple that called you. Not everyone would even bother. I think the gift certificate and flowers are a great idea to show your appreciation to them.

You might consider a quick vet check, just to make sure he's ok besides being hungry.

Welcome Home Snickers!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am sooooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was telling my husband about your story this morning on the way to work actually!!!!!!!!

That is sooooo wonderful.

You may want to take Snickers to the vet just to get an overall exam to make sure he's ok, but odds are he just needs to get rehydrated and spoiled rotten.
His collar probably got torn off on a bush. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me he froze for 2 minutes before coming out.

Sooooooooooo happy for you!!!!! And how awesome of your neighbor.

bengal lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet .... he's 10 pounds, vet acknowledged he's very skinny and needs to beef up and get his strength back. Not seriously dehydrated but he said to keep giving him lots of water and moist food. He has an upper respiratory infection and is on antibiotics. No war wounds of any kind. Purred the whole time; vet couldn't hear his heart. We don't know what his normal weight is but in Nov. 2008 he was 11 pounds but he was 10 months old then, so I think his normal weight is at least 13 pounds. He's pretty skinny and you can easily feel his spine and his back leg bones are just sticking out. He already looks a little beefier than yesterday, just from rehydration and the ton of food he's eaten. He still doesn't like to be alone but has completely acclimated to the new kitty ... the OLD kitty (another bengal a year older) won't go near him and is afraid! Probably from the outdoor smell on him or something.

He will be fine. He's extremely clingy and we're going to enjoy that part. He's always been loving, but right now he's inseparable from us.

Thanks everyone!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, glad the vet visit went well!!! I bet this is going to be a wonderful weekend for you all!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, he smells different so your older kitty may not recognize him since kitties remember others by scent I believe. You may have to help that along by doing some scent swapping - just like when you get a new kitty. This has happened before when my parents had a cat that was at the vets a couple days - the other resident cat hissed and spit, not recognizing the other cat due to scent change!! So I would get a towel and rub all over Snickers and put that towel by the other cats food etc - basically a less intense version of what you would do with introducing new cats. Some people also do this by having all cats smell the same - by putting a dab of vanilla extract by base of tail on the back. This will neutralize his scent and then they'll all smell the same.
Haven't done that before but you may want to give it a shot. Or even try Feliway temporarily. Glad he's acclimated well with the new kitty already!!!

Well... you should post some pictures of your kitties on the Pictures part of the forum here!!!
I'm sure we would all love to see Snickers!!!!!
And again - sooooooooooooooooooooo glad you are reunited with your baby.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try giving him some kitten canned food which has more calories than adult food. That might help fatten him up.

So glad he is ok and hopefully will get over his cold soon.

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hurrah!

I had been checking this thread every morning and evening and saying a prayer every time. I am SOOO happy for all of you!

And you taught me a thing or two also. The post card idea was brilliant!

You have made my day!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you and your family and for Snickers!! What a relief!

I had the worst day at work today, but when I got home and read this, I can't tell you how happy I am for you. I had been praying for his safe return.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwww Snickers is so adorable!!!!
Thanks for sharing! And yeah, seeing Found! on the lost ad is a wonderful thing.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have made my evening!!!! I've been closing following this saga and silently thinking lots of positive vibes, but this is simply awesome news that you boy is home and safe!!!!!!
:cla p: