lost cat--- please help

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most terrible thing has happened to me today.

When my Mum got up at 6am she let the cat out and we haven’t seen her since.

I’m so distraught I’ve got no idea what to do.

Maverick is a house cat and to make matters worse she's on heat. My mum knew she wasn’t to let her out and I’ve got no idea why she did it.

Things are really strained in my house now as you can imagine as I’m barely on speaking terms with my mum. I know she didn’t mean any harm but her thoughtlessness has endangered my precious kitten. Its no use in me being angry with her, it wont solve anything but I’m not sure how I’m going to forgive her this.

We’ve put flyers up round the neighbourhood, put her bedding and litter outside and looked for her everywhere.

My Christmas has been ruined and I can’t bear the thought of her not coming home.

Please no lectures about letting the cat out/having her spayed. She's booked in to have it done in two days time and like I said she's a house cat and I never imagined my mum could be so stupid.

Any tips or prayers would be greatly appreciated. There’s literally no sign of the cat any where in the neighbourhood. My only hope is that some misguided person has ‘rescued’ her or mistaken her calling for cries of distress.

I’m going to try to look for her again and post more flyers and am going again at 2am when its quiet.

Realistically, I need to know what my chances of finding her alive are. I cant stand not knowing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would agree that once she has mated she will come home-

here is an article for you to help guide you

http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/54/28/
thanks, i just needed some reassurance.

this might sound stupid but this is the first time ever she has ever not come when called.

two days ago she accidently got locked out by my dad when i was out (she sneaked through the backdoor when he had guests round). she must have been out for about four hours and when i got home she was outside mewing.

i cant help thinking she must be in trouble if she's stayed out for so long when shes had the option of coming back at any time.

she's microchipped so atleast if she gets picked by an animal shelter they will get in contact.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well she is probably quite close. They usually go to ground within a certain distance from your home when they first get out, unless they are chased away by something or someone. Kitten season is over in my area, hopefully your area it is over as well.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well she is probably quite close. They usually go to ground within a certain distance from your home when they first get out, unless they are chased away by something or someone. Kitten season is over in my area, hopefully your area it is over as well.
hopefully but nine of us having been searching all day with no luck.

would a fox have harmed her/chased her away? i saw a few whilst looking but the local cats didnt seem to be too bothered by them.

she meows alot and is a real attention seeker so i'm worried someone might have tried to adopt her or mistaken her for injured and taken her in.

so far i'm working on the theory that no news is good news, at least she isnt dead at the side of the road.

i'm going to have one last search then go to bed.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry this happened - you must be so worried. Let us know when she comes home!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Oh I'm sorry this happened - you must be so worried. Let us know when she comes home!
thanks for the website katie and thank you pinkdaisy for the kind words. it meant a lot to me.

we went door to door again today and fliered the local pub, newsagents, video shop etc. also stopped some people on the street. most people had seen the flyers already and said that they were keeping an eye out but so far no news

i was astonished by peoples kindness, one elderly lady gave my boyfriend and i a hug each and tried to make us take some coats so we woulnt be cold and an old man let us climb on his roof where we had a possible mav sighting.

starting to give up hope that shes coming back. i feel so guilty because if i'd made the appointment for neutering sooner she would have been recovering and wouldnt have been well enough to escape.

all the animal shelters and the rspca and cat charities have been informed. is there anything else i could do?

i've folowed all articles i can find to the latter but i guess she either doent want to be found or somethings happened to her.

please, please, if anyone can help or give advice i'd be so greatful. last night was the first night not including our holiday when we havnt been woken up by her climbing in to our bed for snuggles. i'm so sad and lonely without her.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look for her by yourself between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. Strange people looking for her will simply serve to drive her away from wherever she is hiding or prompt her to remain hiding-

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Look for her by yourself between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. Strange people looking for her will simply serve to drive her away from wherever she is hiding or prompt her to remain hiding-
thanks hissy - we're going to do that tonight. the people helping me look are all family memebers who she's grown up with.

i've read articles that she'll hide and stay hidden out of fright. does that mean she wont come out at all? is it likely she'll come back on her own when she starts to get really hungrey?

will she be hiding at night or out trying to hunt?

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

i've read articles that she'll hide and stay hidden out of fright. does that mean she wont come out at all? is it likely she'll come back on her own when she starts to get really hungrey?
Every cat is different of course, but I can tell you that when one of our cats went missing, he would not come or answer when called. He was hiding in a storm drain no more than 100 feet from our house but was too scared to come home or answer. I had a hunch he was in there, but wasn't positive since he didn't answer to calls, shaking of the treat bag, or tapping of the dinner plate. I finally got him to answer 5 days later, lying on the drain opening and calling to him for a long while.

He did not seem terribly hungry. My guess is that he was feeding at a neighbor's but I cannot say for sure. Good luck finding your cat!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by maverick_kitten
all the animal shelters and the rspca and cat charities have been informed. is there anything else i could do
You have probably already thought of all this, but I want to suggest that you report your missing cat to all the veterinary clinics in your area, and ask them to contact you ASAP if a cat fitting Maverick's is brought in. Also post missing cat notices on public bulletin boards.

I really think Maverick is ok. She is probably somewhere close by with with some neighborhood toms, and she will come back home when she's ready, but you might have to wait a few days...

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've rang all the local organisations and am going there today to put up posters. the trouble is no wheres open untill the 29th.

hissy- i'm trying to find a pet detective in the uk to help me. just had no luck in finding one yet
if i cant find one i'll most definitly use this service, thanks for the link.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve found her!

Followed some possible sighting and saw her in the park/ woodland near our house about half an hour ago.

Despite our best attempts to get her back (gently calling which she responded to by pausing and letting us get quite close) she ran into the shrubbery with another cat.

So what do we do now? We tried calling her but gave up when she didn’t respond in fear of scaring her away. Do we go back and try again later? Will she come back on her own?

We are going to try again later tonight and leave out her bedding/food and our clothing in a box outside in our garden again to entice her back.

Would the other cat be helping her feed presuming it’s a feral?

Will she consider that her territory and not come back?

Is it unusual for her to be seen with another cat?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to know what to do now. I’m just so happy she’s alive and don’t want to jeopardise losing her by doing the wrong thing.

Plus if we get her back by Wednesday she can get spayed and receive medical attention if necessary as the vet has been open for us to cancel her appointment.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go to where you saw her last, and leave her some food, and a place where she can get into for shelter. Put out a sweaty teeshirt of yours, even leave her litter pan out there with the soiled litter. If you see her, drop down to your knees, or sit on the ground, don't look at her directly, Call to her softly click your fingers, keep your stress level low and see if she will come to you- it could be the other cat is an intact tom and she has mated already- they will hang together for a few days then he will leave her

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've been getting my sweatshirt nice and sweaty for that exact purpose- didnt even use deodrant today. lol.

we dug out a bag of her used litter from the trash so i'll take some of that. thank god the bin men have a weeks holiday.

wont bringing food and shelter to her encourage her to stay there? theres a barn nearby and a few abandoned buildings as well as sheds so hopefully she'll be ok for shelter.

i'm going to go out in a bit and try your advice. thanks again hissy.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you. i'm confident she'll come back soon because she let us see her and didnt run away and hide like the other cat until we tried to approach her. i'm going out to get her in about 10 mins (when i'm sure they'll be no dog walkers around) so fingers crossed!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get her in. When my cat escaped while she was in heat, She was out for about 10 hours or so. I had to pretty much distract the toms with treats, wich also distracted my girl, and I grabbed her. One of the toms was acting like he was gunna fight me for her... UH... She's MY cat...
GOod luck