Looking to breed

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maulover

We tried to bring another kitten into the house when our cat was around 1 year old. She nearly killed the new kitten. We have stray cats where we live and our younger son played with one outside one day, our cat refused to go near him and hissed at him for two days after.
Can you not see the huge temperament problem? All other obvious BYB problems aside, why in the world would you breed this cat with such a dislike for other animals that she nearly kills a kitten?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maulover

YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!
In the nicest way possible, maybe you should go work for a shelter, just volunteer for one month. You will see the reason behind some people's feelings. The pet population is really out of control, thousands of cats are without homes, really great cats and kittens too. I see 5-8 ads in my newspaper on any given day for free kittens. Also, breeding a cat that you don't have any health history on isn't smart for your kitty's future or any future babies.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who the hell do you people think you are?! What makes you think your "purebred" cats are any better than my wonderful "tabby"?
In my case, you have completely misunderstood. I have 2 wonderful "mixed breed" cats.

Abbymom has stated what I would say regarding your situation. I do hope you can appreciate the stance of TCS.

Katie

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been owned by a purebred, that I know of. Not sure of Seb's lineage since he just decided to move in one day.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No honey, we didn't mean it like you took it.

There are a lot, I mean a lot, of mixed breed cats out there who are in desperate need of homes. Kittens euthanized daily because there are not enough homes. TCS is here to educate.

None of us here want to see you breed your kitty only to discover there aren't homes for the kittens. Or to have your kitty not accept her own baby.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I"ve had moggies all my life. I wanted a purebred cat, and I don't feel guilty in getting the 2 that I have. I go to the shelter here twice a week and help take care of the animals there. I see animals put to sleep because owners don't have them spayed/neutered. And just want 1 litter because their cat is so loving....Right now the shelter is overwhelmed with unwanted kittens/puppies. Maybe people need to go to the shelters and see what I do , then they wont want to breed their moggies.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just sad. "The only way we can get another cat is to breed!" Im sorry but that is an ignorant statement!
We are extremely overpopulated and do not need anymore cats! Did you try slowly introducing the previous kitten that you had adopted? I'll post some links so you know where you went wrong! Breeding is an educated science...You need to know about genes and be experienced, you should not be breeding mix breeds! There is no excuse that justifies your question, you adopted a cat once and because it didn't work out you have a dilusional mind-set that breeding would be better? I would suggest doing some major research and spare your cat the inexperience and irresponsibility!

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/18/Br...New-Cat/1.html
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...a_new_cat.html

For future information cats do not usually get along honky doory on an instant introduction, it needs to be done gradually!

Im an owner of two mixed breed cats that I...Adopted! They were both feral and that made me feel great knowing I gave an unwanted cat a home, instead of producing more kittens who are not promised love and shelter! So you can get over yourself on that stereotype that we all own purebreds.... Most of us here adopt tabby's as well!

caitlyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a lot of unwanted pedigree cats in rescue shelters because they are over six years old so are to old to breed and are useless to the breeder ,for that reason they get sold off cheep because of there age and the fact they are retired from breeding .

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason why most people are against you breeding our cat is not only because of the fact that there are millions of homeless cats without homes, but also because you do not know the genetics of the cat you wish to breed.
I found my cat in a ditch when he was two weeks old. Someone obviously decided not to spay their cat and she had a litter of kittens outside. When I found him, he was half dead, starved nearly to death, and had mites, ticks, and fleas. He was extremely anemic and every vet I took him to told me that I should put his down. Anyways, after thousands in vet bills, he finally came around. When he was 1/2 a year old though, he started having tons of problems that were all related to improper breeding and genetic problems. He has severe parrot mouth which means that his canines need to be pulled(thats if they ever grow in. He's getting close to being 2 yrs old, and still only has a few teeth that grew in because of hereditary mouth problems) He was also diagnosed with intravertibral disk disease a few months ago. the poor things always in some degree of pain and has to be on medication for the pain and swelling in his back. He's a very sickly cat, and chances are I'll only have him around for another year or so.
This little guy is by far the best pet I've ever owned, and I love him to death, but if I had the choice to go back in time and find his mother before she got pregnant and spay her, I would.
You never know what kind of genetic problems your cat might have. Just because she appears healthy, doesn't mean that she won't pass on traits to her kits that she herself doesn't show.
Responsible breeders make sure to do extensive research into the animals they chose to breed and make sure to check for any genetic problems, so that we don't wind up with more cats like mine. I don't agree with every responsible breeder. I don't believe we should be breeding cats like persians who are prone to breathing problems or bulldogs (who are so big and bulky that they can't move around properly and arn't usually able to breed by themselves), but i do agree with people who breed to make healthier cats with good personalities.
I would reconsider your plan to breed your female. Not only is there a risk of her having kits with problems, she could also die during labor, refuse to look after her babies, or have other complications. Her not being spayed increases her risk of developing uterine and ovarian cancer and alot pyometra(which is an infection in the uterus. This can kill a cat very quickly since if they develop a closed pyometra, the owner cannot tell if the cats sick until its usually to late and the kidney's are shutting down due to toxins in the blood stream)
If despite what everyone on here says, you still plan to breed your female, then make sure you have enough money saved up before hand. You will what to have the female vet checked soon before birth to make sure everything is going ok(~$50). You will want to deworm her as well right before breeding her to reduce the chance of her passing worms onto her kits(its not a big deal if the kits get worms, but it can slow down their growth since the worms will eat some of the milk the kits drink). I would also have a number for an after hours vet on hand and money set aside for a c-section if need be (I have no idea how much they cost, so you'd have to call and ask).
Once the kittens are weaned(I would not let them go before 12 weeks) you should de-worm them, vaccinate them, and spay/neuter them before adopting them out. I would also make a contract for the person adopting your kits to sign that lets them know that if they can no longer keep the animal, that they have to return it to you. This way you will know that none of your cats will end up in a shelter. You might be able to find a vet that will do vaccinations and spaying of all the kittens for some sort of deal, but even then, you might be looking at around $100 per kit to vaccinate and spay. I would call around and check.
You should have all the money put aside before breeding her so that you know you will have the money to properly look after the kits.
Also make sure to keep in mind emergency money just in case on of the kits gets sick.
I really hope we deter you from breeding your cat, but if not, please make sure to do lots of research and vaccinate/spay the kits before adopting them out.
Right after the litter is weaned, i would get your female spayed.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caitlyn

There are a lot of unwanted pedigree cats in rescue shelters because they are over six years old so are to old to breed and are useless to the breeder ,for that reason they get sold off cheep because of there age and the fact they are retired from breeding .
I good breeder *never* puts their cats into shelters. In fact they accept back all cats they have sold rather than have the new owners put the cat into a shelter. A good breeder sees themselves as being responsible for every single life they have brought into this world, not just until they get sold but for life.

There are a few breeders around here and they will all tell you that their retired breeders (who are usually much younger than 3 years old because the cats aren't bred until they drop) are all placed in carefully selected pet homes just like any kitten they breed.

There are backyard breeders and kitten mills that don't treat their breeding cats or kittens well but there is a fundamental difference between a good breeder and a kitten mill.

christineragdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I good breeder *never* puts their cats into shelters. In fact they accept back all cats they have sold rather than have the new owners put the cat into a shelter. A good breeder sees themselves as being responsible for every single life they have brought into this world, not just until they get sold but for life.

There are a few breeders around here and they will all tell you that their retired breeders (who are usually much younger than 3 years old because the cats aren't bred until they drop) are all placed in carefully selected pet homes just like any kitten they breed.

There are backyard breeders and kitten mills that don't treat their breeding cats or kittens well but there is a fundamental difference between a good breeder and a kitten mill.
I couldn't have said it any better.

Breeding is just not putting two cats together. People think it is, when it's knowing the pedigrees, what's in those pedigrees, etc. etc. They also think it's a money maker. It isn't if you do it right, but people think oh wow, money. Sorry, if that's why you want to breed, you can forget it.

Are you going to quarantee your kittens? if it's just more moggies, why breed then? Go work at a shelter and foster kittens and try finding good homes for them. Shelters are full and need good helpers.

Work with rescuers to get early spaying/neutering done. There's so much you can do than bring more unwanted kittens into this world.

All breeders aren't bad but yes, there are those that are. You also find a lot of purebreeds in shelters not because always of the breeder, but because "pet" owners dump them.

Think long and hard, or you just might find yourself being raided one day with too many cats like your read on the news because you can't afford vet pills.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the orginal poster has read other posts regarding the breedings of non-pedigreed cats, than I don't need to repeat myself. In short, I agree with the major majority, in that this cat should not be bred, and IMO, my first opinion is not the major reason I disagree with this cats breeding, my first opinion is it isn't papered, but the major reason I wouldn't breed this particular cat is her temperament. It is obvious you are going to do what you are going to do, after asking for opinions, the majority answers you, and you are going to disagree with the majority.
I am curious to the cats age, and if the temperament has always been unaccepting of other cats, or if the cat had a change at some point in its personality? If this is so, I would be curious to possible underlying health issue. If the personality of this girl has always loved people, and never wanted a feline companion, I can't imagine her changing her opinion on her own.
While we all say we love our animals as human children, and we give them human emotions, we have to honestly step back and realize that while we love our fur children, a mother cat has kittens, will wean them and then she is done with them, there isn't that emotional bond that a human mother has for her human child. A cat will breed its own offspring if allowed too, that isn't something that would be common in human behavior. This is also common myth, when people feel their cat should have just 'one' litter, as it wouldn't be fair to spay her and "deprive" her of the ability to have children. A cat doesn't have the emotions that humans have if they can't have children, if you read many articles on the internet about early/pediatric spay and neuter, and the factual studies, you will show how much healthier it is for your cat to be spayed or neutered.
I can certainly understand your desire to have more cats, even your desire to see certain traits your current cat does possess or possibly see her looks be passed on. Just also realize that while many of us may understand that desire, doesn't mean it is right or that we would condone it.
You are right about a purebred cat is no better than a mixed breed, and I don't think anyone here would say it was. The most memorable cat who ever owned me was a kitten that was born in my parents garage, I have no idea anything about the Mom or Dad, I was around 13 years old.
I would ask you to honestly look at many facets concerning your cat, and breeding her, and then to reconsider, after looking at all the aspects. Please think about trying a slower approach to bringing in another spayed or neutered cat, or keeping her and a new cat separated, if you have the room to do that.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I would love to get to a day when the only option for a purebred cat or kitten is a responsible and reputable breeder.

Katie

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although I do agree breeding your mix is wrong I have to say the purebreds would probably have greater chances for gentic issues in the babiers rather then moggy mixes, depending of course upon the type of purebred, the lineage ect. Street or house cat Moggys have so much gentic mixing they are probably safer to breed then a good 30% of the purebreds IMO. The newer ones like bangels, savannahs and ocicats whose orgins were mixed with mixed with wild ancestery are safer then oh say persians, hairless spyenix's or new type siemese the really thin ones. Whenever you singal trait breed you will have problems sooner or later. Issues ARE out there its just like pet store kittens the truth is masked by lies and ignorence. Its not the breeders fualt its the fualt that no matter how hard we try we cannot play natures cards right all the time. The seimese is a good example, once upon a time all the seimeses looked alike old syle and healthy, now its different you see kittens who have bat ears and heart defects blindness,ect. Its even worse in dogs because its gone on for much longer, there are breeds that cannot even give birth by themselves anymore they have to be cut open or both the mom and babies die. (French Bulldogs)

I'm more agianst aiding more unwanted kittens to the world, they are WWWAAAYYY too many kittens out there. most will be put to death or die out in the wild. Please do not breed your cat, she's no more and less importent then a purebred its just we dont want anymore kittens in a kitten filled world. Foster a mom cat at a shelter.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Street or house cat Moggys have so much gentic mixing they are probably safer to breed then a good 30% of the purebreds IMO. The newer ones like bangels, savannahs and ocicats whose orgins were mixed with mixed with wild ancestery are safer then oh say persians, hairless spyenix's or new type siemese the really thin ones.
Just an FYI : Ocicats don't have any wild blood, just domestics were used. Bengals used the asian leopard cat and Savannahs use the afican serval.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oci's were created with abys, siamese and a little American SH
Depending on the breeder and how careful they are in studying pedigrees, you can breed problems or avoid them.

With moggys, you don't know WHAT is in the background and they are not necessarily healthier. For example, I know of some lines in the Cornish Rex that have heart problems and don't live past 10 yrs old (if that) - so I would avoid any rex with those lines. The ones that I used had good healthy lines. Spooky was 15 1/2 when he died; his grandparents/parents, etc. were 16-18 when they died. Spooky's litter sister just turned 16 in April.

Many breeders are now testing their cats for genetic problems and NOT breeding those that might cause problems up the road. But you have to also be aware of potential problems too and know what to ask, where to get your cats.

Just for those that are considering purebreds (of any breed); ask the breeder how old are his/her oldest cats and what you can expect lifetime wise.

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally understand this.
I understand how you feel, and canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t pay hundreds of dollars for a purebred cat to breed, or put that effort because you have a family. And I understand how it hurts that no one thinks cats should have kittens anymore. But… the more you talk to these people, the more you understand why.

My tabby, (snobby) was my cat when I was a child. (youth) And it was ok to let them out, breed and just sell the kittens to anyone. The sad thing is, I read in the papers such bad things people do to these kittens… there are so many abusive people out there, who have bought little kittens, beat them, because they like to climb up their leg because they are too small to jump, or go in heat are are really annoying. its so sad how people think and then get rid of them because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like them anymore. There are people who buy cheap kittens for their dog to rip apart. I have read some really scary things in the paper that happens to kittens I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even want to mention here. So to breed and sell kittens to strangers for cheap, you have no idea who they are, or what would happen. Or you could do what I did and keep them or give them to family. but... it seems to never turn out good.

But I had a tabby when I was a child. And back then, all my cats could go outside sometimes. And I let her have kittens, spaying was to expensive at the time for me, so we just kicked her out when she was in heat. she had 2 boys and a girl. She was a good mother, but like your tabby she is a VERY MEAN CAT to ANYOTHER cat. We gave the girl kitten to my uncle, who one day lost her. and we kept the 2 boys. When the boys grew up she completely ignored them, she never went near them, and they would fight if they did. One day Both my boys ran away together. I guess they had enough of her. They were unhappy. And if I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let them outside sometimes they would still be unhappy and stuck with her.
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m lucky… my aunt would go to peoples houseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s selling AVON, and she saw both my boy cats. She asked where did you get those cats, and the lady said she found them by the garbage at the mall (close to my house) and they were so thin, and starving. When I had them they were big and fat, and she got them fat again. My aunt called them by their name and they came… So I am so lucky, they could be dead if that woman didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t find them. But there are SO MANY adult cats with out homes. For stupid reasons that we can prevent today if we only cared enough. Today snobby is 14 years old. And she is no longer snobby… since she is the only cat of the house, the house is hers, and she is a happy cat. When I moved out I wanted to take my cat, but my mother said no, she stays here because she is old and the move would be hard on her, and she is so happy. So I never took her. But I got new cats. They are half breeds and I took them because I knew they couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t find a home. But thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a different story.

I only tell you this to know what might happen, or you can try it yourself. The choice is yours… but just know I tell you my story, because it hurts so much looking back, I had no idea what I put my cats through..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I understand completely. I think most all of us did "wrong" things in the past that we didn't understand why it was so wrong. I'll admit my first cat Mitten was declawed on my parent's terms - not mine. But Mitten was a special cat - he still was allowed out during the day and he hunted/killed birds, rabbits, squirrels. He never had litter box problems or was a fear biter, etc.

Mitten was the exception of a declawed cat. I would never do it again; its not necessary. And I've seen/heard too many stories of problem cats - many of the problems stem from being declawed.

But we all should be willing to learn and listen to others. We want the best for our cats. Over years and in today's world its very different then 40-50 yrs ago. Too many sick/cruel people out there now to be worth letting cats roam unsupervised and not spayed/neutered.