Looking for support

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Sabra has invited all of us to Texas to swim with Water Moccasins. She says they love to swim! Darn it; I have to wait here for Tom and his car or I'd come with you. You know these movie stars, though; they can be temperamental. Of course, G would have to leave the luxury of the cabin and help Mr. Cat with the rattlers....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr.Cat ------That's not a nice thing to do. My chair is on wheels and I just about flew into the back wall!!! I know, I know, it's just a picture!!

Can't do it guys. I will never, ever get used to snakes, or for that matter, end up loving them! Cute?????? Jeanie, I think I'll cover for you and let you go have some fun..........

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to be the cause of undo alarm, but let's consider the fact there are nice snakes abroad on the planet. Take, for instance, those adorning the caduceus:

Caduceus — Symbolic staff surmounted by two wings and entwined with two snakes. Among the ancient Greeks the caduceus was carried by heralds and ambassadors as a badge of office and a mark of personal inviolability, because it was the symbol of Hermes, the messenger of the gods. According to Book IV of Virgil's Aeneid, the Greek god Apollo gave the staff to Hermes in return for the lyre. In Roman mythology the symbol is associated with the god Mercury. The staff of Asclepius, the Greek god of healing, which was entwined by a single snake, was also called a caduceus. The caduceus has been adopted as a symbol by the medical profession; it is also the emblem of the medical branches of the United States Army and Navy.

Hermes — In Greek mythology, messenger of the gods, the son of the god Zeus and of Maia, the daughter of the Titan Atlas. As the special servant and courier of Zeus, Hermes had winged sandals and a winged hat and bore a golden Caduceus, or magic wand, entwined with snakes and surmounted by wings.

Aesculapian Snake — Common name for a harmless snake that symbolizes the Greek god of medicine, Asclepius. Asclepius is often pictured with his staff, around which is entwined one of these snakes. Aesculapian snakes were kept in the combination hospital-temples built by the ancient Greeks and, later, by the Romans in honor of the god. The snakes are found not only in their original range of southern Europe, but also in the various places in Germany and Austria where Roman temples had been established. Escaped snakes survived and flourished. Smooth, glossy, and slender, the snake has a uniformly brown back with a streak of darker color behind the eyes. The snake's belly is yellowish or whitish and has ridged scales that catch easily on rough surfaces, making it especially adapted for climbing trees. Scientific classification: The Aesculapian snake belongs to the family Colubridae. It is classified as Elaphe longissima.

See? Now, aren't they nice?

:tounge2:

=^..^=

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful snakes!! I wish I had more time to own one.
Er maybe not a Cottonmouth or anything but maybe more of the nonvenomous type.

G you're just like my dad. He's petrified of snakes. He once found a teeny little green snake while he was landscaping, the kind that you'd catch when you were kids, and he flipped!! He started stabbing it with his pitch fork and tossed it into the neighbor's yard.

How about toads and frogs? Anyone like them?

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While reading this post, I was listening to a program on the Discover Channel about black mambas. I believe a trip to Africa would be far more exotic, even though I love (really!) the Southwest. Therefore, Tom and I are driving to the airport where he will see me off. To answer Mr. Cat's intellectual examples, I have one word: MEDUSSA ---Oh, yes, and Cleopatra's ASP, and wasn't Dido done in by a creepy, crawly? Maybe Tom and I will just have a nice dinner by candlelight. Hmmmm...

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well! I never! Imagine, passing up a dangerous trip to a snake-infested desolate region miles from help just to have a candle-light dinner with Tom Cruise. Some people!

=^..^=

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do! I do! I can 'put up' with frogs. I even caught one for my sons last year. After a rain fall, there were about 10 little itty bitty ones on my deck. They were about an the size of a quarter. You didn't mention size so....this counts right? There is one toad that really irks me. Everytime I go to do my weeding in this one particular flower bed, it jumps out from it's hiding spot and scares me half to death. And then, it goes about it's business.

Jeanie, tell Tom I said 'Hi!' Can't figure out why but... I haven't heard from him since I introduced the two of you... Oh well. Candlelight dinner? Hmph....I never even got that!!!!!!!!

My son just informed me that he's invited to a B-day party. It's apparently called a "Reptile party". A guy comes over to the house with different reptiles. The kids get to touch them and find out about them. And yes.....he brings a snake. Guess this'll be a party mom will just drop son off to and head back home to wait for the "Mom, come pick me up" call.

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the itty bitty ones too.... Not sure of their real name but they're awfully cute and you can get real close to them before they hop away. They're always hanging out in our pond so we get a lot in our yard.

Mr. Cat- Can I be the blue pawn?

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity......

Jeanie: How did your date with Tom fare out???

And.....was there a happy ending to this adventure?

I, for one, am really proud of myself. I did my weeding in my flower beds without gloves on yesterday!(snails, worms, bugs...they were all there too!)
:tounge2: For those who know me, going gloveless is a great accomplishement. I also discovered that weeding is so much easier when you can grab the weed properly. Gloves can hinder that in a way.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CENTERVILLE (AP Photo) -- Jeanie G. (left) and Whisker's Mom (right) are seen guiding a Komodo dragon to safety after the ten-foot-long lizard was found attending a city council meeting yesterday. Both women, who claimed to be uneasy around reptiles, intervened upon seeing people running from city hall. "The politicians were the first ones out the door," stated a witness. "Then these two women went inside and emerged after a few minutes with this really-big lizard." The Komodo dragon, perhaps sensing it was at last among friends, accompanied the two women to a bus stop. All three boarded the next bus and proceeded to the zoo, where the Komodo dragon balked until both women made asssurances the zoo would be a good home. The mayor was unavailable for comment.

=^..^=

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL - too funny Mr Cat!

Good job Jeanie and Ghys! I would have pitched right in if I were there! You guys have all the fun & I am stuck at home cleaning up the cat barf!

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr Cat,

You are tooooo funny! Quite the imagination. I am not too sure if it was "guiding" that I had in mind when I grabbed that broom!

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll notice that the bacteria-laden-saliva end is heading for G and away from me. After he sees this picture, I think it will be all over for me and Tom. He's handsome, intelligent, and charming, of course; he's young and well built; his eyes are so deep I could have fallen in, and his hands are strong, but gentle. He is a total gentleman and a complete hunk. Other than that, there's not much to him. C'est la vie!